3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who all's on the ground this year?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Who all's on the ground this year?
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Just curious as to how many is trying the ground this season? I've been hunting on the ground for 2 years now without success. I've seen alot of deer with some very close encounters but no luck as of yet. Need some verble help to tuff it out. You guy's that have any input or storys would be a big help! Thanks' Jason

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who all's on the ground this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
My first time out I had a doe come to about 15 away. I missed her. String duck. Arrow went just over her shoulder.

Hunt the wind for your setup. Mine is set to have uphill predominant winds in the afternoon. Winds are in my favor. I'm shooting slightly downhill towards the trail.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Did you read the book from G Fred Asbel, stalking and still hunting.
I realy liked it!
Cheers
Good luck

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
As far as big game goes,  where I live I regularly hunt black bears, moose, and caribou exclusively from the ground. I have also hunted a few other species elsewhere from the ground only.

But, although I have successfully hunted whitetail deer from the ground, I enjoy the view and the change so I hunt them most often from a tree stand.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
I don't hunt on the ground 100% in fact probably only around 20% of the time. Usually only in areas where there's no suitable trees but I did take this little guy last week from the ground along a weed/fence row.

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I have hunted from a ground blind the last 4 hunts and I miss the ability to see a lot farther from a stand.I may be going back to it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
I hunted off the ground last night. I do whatever the terrain tells me to....if a treestand is right for the spot, great. But I don't NOT hunt a good spot because there are no trees.

I used one of those "bush in a bag" ghillie ponchos last night, I liked it quite a bit.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I hunt from the ground. It isn't easy but more challenging. Been doing it for 4 years I think but yesterday I had a doe 3 yards away. No shot bad angle, quartering towards me. Today I had a bear come in. I stopped him about 40 yards out. He didn't see me but he circled to catch my scent. As soon as he did he was gone in a flash. Ground hunting is very exciting.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground and have been for three years. Quite a challange. It has taken alot of trial and errors along the way. I have gotten so much better at it that I feel comfortable with it. I have taken two hogs and spooked lots of deer. I see more deer close up than in a tree stand. Deer seem to spot you in a tree stand around here, unless you get forty feet up, and you can have that.I have missed a couple of deer but hope to get on this year.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I hunt from the ground. In fact I've never set foot in a tree stand, though I assure you I have nothing against them whatsoever. It's simply a matter that I live in the west and learned to hunt on the ground (with a rifle). When I switched to a bow I continued to hunt the way I was taught. Truth is I know absolutely nothing about how to properly place a tree stand.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm on the ground this year, but I prefer to be in a tree stand. This is my first year exclusively with a trad bow and I haven't practiced enough from heights to be confident with it, maybe by next year I can get my butt up in a tree and kill something?

I also found out real quick that my pop up blind is too small for shooting my Grizzly out of, no mater how I turn I slap my top limb on the canvas and it lets out a loud "Whop!"
So I make natural cubby blinds out of what's in the immediate area I'm hunting, haven't had a deer close yet, but it must be working as far as concealment because I had a coyote witin 20 steps of me and I missed right over it's back. It never paid any attention to me what so ever.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
100 percent! Hogs don't climb trees...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Killed my first deer from the ground last year and it was awsome. I'm about 50 50 ground and tree this year.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Always...just set up as you would from a treestand..u wont be able to see as well in terms of what;s coming down the trail but its some kinda rush to have a buck 12 yards from you trying to make you out inside that little brush pile..after taking a small buck on the ground last year I think I;ll stay down here for a while...also..Semo makes a good point...theres nowhere for me to practice out of a stand.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
For me, I think bow hunting public property from the ground is easier. However, when gun season come in, I feel safer up in a tree or behind a solid barrier.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Ground blind for me either natural or pop up. I like being at eye level with the game I'm bowhunting.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground and have been since 1995 after I had my art. valve replaced. Dr. said no trees
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
So far this year with my bow, yes I have hunted off the ground.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I am. Not that I wouldn't go up just don't have a stand anymore. Gotta love close encounters at eye level though.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Spot and stalk is all I do for the most part. Not many trees around here.  :)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©