3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who all's on the ground this year?  (Read 867 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who all's on the ground this year?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackstick:
For me, I think bow hunting public property from the ground is easier. However, when gun season come in, I feel safer up in a tree or behind a solid barrier.
I try my best not to be anywhere near pubic ground during rifle season, even if it means sitting in my back yard in a lawn chair.

Better get a kevlar vest and helmet.   :scared:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
100% from the ground last 6 years now; have killed an average of 10 to 12 deer a year; my camo, nothing but a ghillie suit; can't say enough about their effectiveness........   :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline DV of WI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
All of my hunting here in S-MN is on WMA's which are big grass/cattail marshes for ducks and pheasants. Cattails don't support stands very well. I am working on a ghillie suit right now. I have had success, but I do miss the field of view you get from a tree stand. Missed a doe at 12 feet Wednesday. Field of view is about 20 yards at best and the deer get up on you before you see them. But if you watch the grass tops, you can sometimes see it parting and you know something larger is on its way.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
on the ground for the first time...we'll see how it goes
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Terra Firma for me.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
This year and every year.  Heavy brush around here and Elk move a lot randomly that is.  Love the ground and don't see a reason to use a tree stand in my neck of the woods.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
I bought two tree stands and made plans to give it a try but, ended up pounding the turf. Seems I see plenty deer this way and it's hard to give something else a try.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Been on the ground since '97 and have taken some game. Just took two deer in the last two days. I spot and stalk some times, but mostly set up with a torges style seat.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
This year, last year, the year before that and so on.  I'm just an old groundhog.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
I'm liking my Double Bulls this year. Very cool way to do it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I hunt from the ground also.  I do not have a tree stand and I hunt state land and "archery only" open to the public land.
Paul

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
90 % ground for me , I like being mobile and using natural cover ,rocks ,blow downs and ground blinds. Most likely why I don't shot anything...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
All ground for me. I have been weeding out the treestands the last few years and now am the proud owner of none. I feel a lot more connected with my feet on the soil.

Just came in from the morning hunt and had a doe at 8 yards and her fawns at 15. None of them knew I was there. WIND IS FIRST AND FOREMOST,stillness and blending in follow.Once you kill one from the ground you will be hooked.

Good Hunting,
                                   Craig

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm on the ground...exclusively.

Seeing deer.
Was seeing a lot more. My hunting buddy uses a crossgun and I'm afraid he may have scared the deer from that area by missing twice....dang that thing is loud.

Keep trying. I haven't got it done from the ground with a trad bow yet.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
So, far this year been on the ground.  Shot a turkey at 18 yards.  Been seeing some deer had one about 20 yards, more to do with where hunting than set up.  Play the wind, and blend in and move slow.  Was going to hunt on ground all year, but wife bought me a chippewa wedge loc, so will hve to give it a try.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
For about the last 6 years. Of course that's when I can a chance to go hunting.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I shot my biggest buck from the ground, but I must admit it was total luck to happen upon him. I mostly hunt whitetails from the trees. I don't have much confidence yet in my ability to outsmart a whitetail from the ground. I can however sneak into some of the craziest spots in trees and have taken some nice deer. Someday I'll learn, I would imagine its alot more fun than planting yourself on a small platform for 4-5 hours.
David M. Conroy

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Been on the ground all yr except for last Friday - Have not shot a deer this yr but have taken several in the past - used to be stuck to the ground when I was young cause I had no stand!- necessity is the best teacher.
Staying to the ground this yr for the most part. I am going in a tree at some point this week to try and get a white oak acorn eating doe I encountered last Friday without success.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
One of my favorite natural ambush locations in Jersey

Stillhunting....gotta love ASAT

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I do a little but still gather most of my groceries from the trees. I did kill 2 deer from the ground last year. One from a store bought blind and one just sitting on a stool behind a natural blind. Just tree stands so far this year but I will definitely hunt on the ground some.
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©