3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who all's on the ground this year?  (Read 868 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who all's on the ground this year?
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Good post, I too am looking for the motivation to give up tree stands, going to be getting a ghillie suit in the next week or so, bought Fred asbell's stalking book, picked up the eye level bucks DVD by mike Lapinski.  ground guys, keep the posts coming on this one.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
The last time I was off the ground was '73-'74. Hap

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
spot and stalk plus sit and sleep dont laugh it does work.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I know, hunt the wind, but yesterday I was hunting from the ground and the wind was going in the same direction as me. when I finally came up on them they still didn't know I was there until they saw me moving. I didn't care  as I was looking at something else having to do with the construction going on at the property.

Last year when I finally decided to hunt the ground I stalked up to with 10 feet to a young button buck, mom was about 25 yds. away and that was the one I was after. The little guy finally busted me just before he almost trampled me. They never figured out what I was, just that I didn't belong.

I only hunt the ground when the weather is helping me. If it rained the night before and everything is still wet and or there is a good breeze, with out that I hunt treestands.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
I am hunting off the ground this year for the first time.But i am already missing the view. Time marches on!
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I'm on the ground about 90% of the time I'm hunting. To me, it is just a lot more fun at eye level. Two turkeys by stalking so far this season; could have shot several deer, but haven't seen the 'right' deer as of yet. The rut isn't far off, however.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I have hunted both ways and have killed deer both ways.  I would say that with the proper set up, they are equally effective.  I do think it is exciting to be on the ground with the critters you are hunting and see them pop out in front of you at 10 yards, but I have limited experience, I have only taken about 3 or 4 deer from the ground with a bow.

It is really like mentioned earlier, you hunt how the terrian tells you to.  If you need to be on the ground, do it.  If you need to be in a tree, start climbing.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Sitting above ground is a new thing for me. Only last few years have I tried treestands and brush or pop-up blinds.  95% of the time I'm a ground pounder still hunting and ambushing with natrual blinds or just a good back drop. I have only killed one animal from tree.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
After finding out all the treestands were stolen off my dad's farm, looks like I'm on the ground this year too.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
With all the tree stands being stolen, someone should come up with a radio controlled device that within a few mile radius sets off a small blasting cap strategically placed and see who wets their britches!

AS for the ground, I LOVE watchin all manner of forest creatures from trees totally clueless to my existence.

Then I built me a string ghillie suit. Used it in spring turkey... and a few personal things prodded me to do the ground this year.

Had a fox w/in 10 yards scratchin, chippie ran over my foot, hawk sat above me screamin obscenities not knowing I was there... just no deer!

Then this weekend, I had a fawn within 12 yards and then a couple more doe close. It was quite an experience!  There might be something to this ground stuff!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Me about 80% of the time.

doug77

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Sneaking on the ground as ever so quiet to be, hoping that the deer don't hear or recognise me.  When I want to hide away, the doghouse blind I go, hoping to get a shot off at that big buck or whitetail doe.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
The nice thing about this post is everyone is having fun, life is good !

Good luck to all this season.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I`ve been at this trad thing a while and killed most of my deer from the tree. I seldom kill a pig from a tree . Hunting on the ground for me is easier as far as gear and extends my in the swamp distance as well.My most exciting kills on deer have been from the ground and my almost kills as well. I recently injured a leg and will mostly be on the ground and actually look forward to it. starting a 9 day hunt tomorrow. Thankyou Lord.RC

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Thanks' for all the input fella's, its nice to hear all the storys. I personally like the ground better but I will admit that I can see farther in a tree and you know what's coming for it gets there. Getting deer close don't seem to be a problem just closeing the deal. I know one thing, I stay alot warmer down on the ground in late season, I freeze my hind end off anyway! HA! Thanks' Jason

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I only hunt on the ground, I get to see more country that way...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I am about ready to give up tree stands. I've hunted successfully with my ghillie suit and have killed a good Mulie from a DB blind. I do love the ground and the shot angles are much better.
Ed G.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I practice shooting sitting with my back up against a big tree in my yard quite a bit

I've taken a few this way,

I like to still hunt slowly thru the woods when its raining and breezy I've walked right up on deer often in those conditions.

Like tree stands also especailly if the leaves are real dry

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
This was my first year from the ground and i had alot of success. I shot 2 deer and let alot of young buck walk past to live and grow up.I had alot of close encounters with all kinds of wildlife,it have been a great season so far.Keep at it and learn from your success and mistakes.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Been hunting trad for 3 seasons now all from the ground. Have a few clean misses, got busted a couple times but it's all good. Maybe next year. Need to figure out how to get them in the 15 yard mark.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©