3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Walking Stick  (Read 460 times)

Offline dudley152

• Trad Bowhunter
Walking Stick
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I hope this is the right area for this topic, if not, I apologize to the mods.

I'm looking to buy a good, stout walking stick. I have problems walking and need something besides my trusty cane if I'm to have any chance of getting in and out of the woods this year. The "getting in" is the easy part - it's the "getting out" that is the hard part! My cane is good on hard surfaces but it's not worth a darn in the woods, other than starting a fire.

If anyone can make me one, send me a PM with the price and specs.

Many thanks.
Vietnam Veteran
"Remember Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice"

Another Proud Member of the "Disabled but not dead" Brigade!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walking Stick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I'd get two for better balance and adjustable for the various terrain/uphills etc. Try Eastern Mountain Sports online.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
John,
PM sent.
Jon Stewart
Semper Fi

Offline dudley152

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Curveman - thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Jon - PM'ed ya back. Many thanks for the offer. Looks like you have what I'm looking for.
Vietnam Veteran
"Remember Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice"

Another Proud Member of the "Disabled but not dead" Brigade!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
John,
Didn't get a PM or an e-mail.  My e-mail address is, [email protected]

Jon Stewart
Semper Fi

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
Dudley,

I have had to use two walking sticks to "stay in the outdoors" due to illness, and have found something that goes from cane to walking stick height (and back) in a few seconds.  Strong, light and versatile, it is called the Explorer Monopod from a manufacturer called Stoney Point. Been using them every day for 5 years, and have yet to find anything as versatile.  Has a neoprene grip and removable wood knob on top (and double as camera monopod), carbide tip for ice, rubber tip for hard surfaces, and rubber snow basket that can be slipped over the end. They can be found a lot of places (Cabela's, Gander Mtn, etc.) but I've tracked down a source that is offer a much better price. If you want to try them, I'd be glad to send you an internet link...

Daryl Harding
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Hawkeye, I would like to get that link.  THANKS

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
I was going to suggest the same thing Hawkeye did, a Stoney Point MonoPod.  I bought one just to have handy when I go into the woods, I really didn't need it to walk.  Well last week I had a BAD back problem and couldn't walk.  The only thing that helped me was my Stoney Point MonoPod.  I'm a BIG guy and it held me up just fine with no flexing or give.  You can get several different tops to fit on them too.  Maybe you like a round ball or a more cane like top, you can get them.  You can also add one of the ski type things at the bottom of the pod if you are worried about slipping.  Here is a link to check them out.
 www.stoneypoint.com/

BEWARE of imitations.  I almost bought a Wally World special for about $15 and I quickly realized it was JUNK compared to the Stoney Point.

Good Luck.

Nala

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
dachba,

Here is my favorite of the many Stoney Point models at the best price I've found (about $10 less):
 http://www.opticsplanet.net/stoney-point-polecat-explorer-monopods.html  
They did have free shipping on this model, but now it is $.05 below the free shipping threshold!  If you decide to order two for stability, that won't matter.  Be sure to select the wood knob option.  It looks like the snow boot is not included in this item, but that's not a big deal.
If you look at the other models they have and can't make sense of the differences, feel free to e-mail me: [email protected].
This model is my daily companion.

Daryl Harding
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©