3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: screw in or strap on treestand steps?  (Read 436 times)

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
screw in or strap on treestand steps?
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Assuming legal,discuss the pros and cons,safety concerns,theft,weight, portability,price, convenience,etc of screw in steps vs. strap on steps such as Lone Wolf for treestands. My area is mostly pines or cottonwoods and I want mobility and efficiency. I was thinking srew in steps for the season and removing the stand each day hunted because of a hectic work/unpredictable hunt schedule. We used our share of lag bolts in younger days.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: screw in or strap on treestand steps?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I like screw in steps, but will not use them in a cottonwood.  Cottonwood bark is very thick, thicker than the screw is long and you need the screw to get well into solid wood.  Pine is fine.

The Ezy Climb brand of steps are the best, I like the single folds.  In the rod steps, Game trackers screw in the easiest but cost more than the Ameristep.  The A-step has the longest screw, still not enuf for a cottonwood, tho.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I prefer screw in steps.  I use the Ameristep strap on steps when I have to on public land or when on private land in valuable trees.  They are OK but bulky and more trouble to secure to trees.  I agree about the cottonwoods and screw in steps.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I prefer the ladder sticks in general.  They are more stable to me and easy to put up quickly.  I have used the Ameristep screw in steps with good success though.

Ganzer

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Screw in steps and I use the ameristep and use them on cottonwoods.  That is about the only suitable tree we have in out area to hang stands.  I weigh about 220 and have never had a problem.  I have one guy who hunted with me a few yeaars ago and he was up around 300 and never had a problem and this is a huge cottonwood.  I dont think it will be a problem unless you are well over 300.  They are cheap and easy.  I do like the ladder stick better but cant afford to crawl 20 feet with them!  I had a pair given to me and they are nice so if cost is not an issue then get some!
JT

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I used to use screw in steps exclusively, and agree the EZ Climb are the best that I tried.  But over the past few years I have converted more of my set ups to ladder stands, and of those that I still use a hang on for I have gone to the strap on sections.  Really like the Lone Wolf and Rapid Rails.  

Most of my set ups are in oaks, and I had noticed that often times trees that I used the screw in steps on seemed to die within a few years.  I'm guessing I was introducing stress or disease to the tree, so I have stopped using the screw in steps completely.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
I use lone wolf sticks where screw ins are not legal, sticks are harder to transport and a little bulkey to put up, both work well.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I use strap on steps (I think they are Deer Me) with the chinese knot.  Once I got used to these, I use these anytime I am using a hang on stand.  They are quickly adjustable on the tree and stay solid once in position.  If I am going to leave the stand, I will leave all but the bottom 3 steps and that will keep anyone else away from the stand.  They are quick and quieter than screwin.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I have 5 screw-in steps i take with me when hunting on puplic land. I hunt with a climber and when i find the dream spot that dose not have a good tree to climb, i'll pull out my screw steps and with my stand on my back up i go and once i reach a spot to atatch the climbed i'll strap myself to the tree hang the stand on a step. put the stand on the tree and wala.
 Its allot of work and i usaly want do that unless i am going to do a all day rut hunt.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I had a perfectly good hunting day ruined once because a guy was using someone's illegal tree stand on public woods, one of the screw-in steps came out and he fell to the ground and popped his hip out of place when he tried to land on his feet.  They damage trees and can come lose when you least expect it.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
I love the Ameristep strap on ladders. They do not costs too much, and are very secure when you get them set. They are heavy, and I am fortunate I can drive them close to the intended tree. I have always worried about impaling myself on screw in steps.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
I lost a friend a few weeks ago when the top screw in step came out. I will not use them!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Screw in steps for harder trees-Oak, Maple etc...Strap on dteps for Pine, Cottonwood or softer wood trees.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
The one in my post was a burr oak.  They have thick bark and I imagine there was not enough bite into the hardwood for it to hold.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I prefer screwins and the best step on the planet is call T-steps they are designed to use your weight to add stablity. the auger is the the middle of the step so starting it into the tree is easier as well
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I use both where legal.  I prefer the Ameristep screw in jobs for their stability if on land where they are allowed (not all landowners want you screwing their trees). The screw holes can create entry paths for parasites and disease. I'd never put a screw in step in a valuable tree (straight, oak, cherry, or walnut). I also use strap ons even where screw ins are allowed for their portabioity.

I buy the steps after Christmas when they go on clearance. One tip, if you remove a screw in AlWAYS make a new hole the next time you screw them in. Reusing holes can cause step failure.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
By the way, my favorite portable "steps" are the aluminum nesting ladder systems. I especially like to use one or two of them to start up the tree and then go to steps (or limbs). I can take these ladder sections down quite easily when I leave making it more difficult for someone to poach my hunting spot.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Skill level has a lot to do with personal preferance. I used to drop off my buddy, walk several hunderd yards, screw in 8-9 steps, set my stand and return. My partner would be prespiring profusely and seemed to always be screwing in his last step. It was tough for him and I am not that proficient at setting stands myself.

Probably 15 years ago, a good friend of mine who is disabled and can barely bend over to tie his shoes taught me a lesson that I can not still perform today. He would hunt 5 days a week and set-up a new stand every hunt. I just had to watch him  put up a stand with those Ezy climb screw-in steps. I put the clock on him. He some how started the thread with his hip and made virtually little movement, was in no hurry and used seemingly little effort. He had eight steps in and sitting comfortably in the stand in 7 minutes. I still don't now he did it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Used scew In for years but have switched to lone wolf.they are not as easy to carry but I think they are easier to use.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
EZY since '85.

Cuz broke a different brand step last week, is OK, fell only 8 ft.

I've never broken an EZY, hammered out a few I've left in too long (what my cuz was attempting to do when the one he was on broke).

If the rivet gets wobbly on an EZY then I trash it, done that to 2 steps, maybe 3. Still have some going strong from my first batch bought 25 yrs ago.

I now pull mine after season and oil them up in storage, probably why some have lasted so long.

Used to leave some out yr round, but don't anymore.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©