3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Decision (?) NOT to kill??  (Read 432 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Decision (?) NOT to kill??
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
A bit of background for this mini-saga, not for sympathy, but to set the stage for my quandary and questions to my brothers/sisters of the bow:  Been a tough year. Dad’s my last living family member and at 88, had a mini-stroke in March. Looked like he was coming “back” from it and then he spiraled down and is now in a nursing home. Congestive heart failure looms, fluid builds up, incontinence follows due to the water pills…you get the picture. I have to close his apartment at the retirement village where he’s now in nursing home…work and travel back and forth takes 55 hrs of the week, I get home late, wolf food and visit Dad daily…so I’m plumb wore out emotionally and physically.  But that is no biggie… hunting is coming. Time to rejuvenate!

I ended up with some malaise a few weeks back. Doc now has me on a 2nd round of new antibiotics that are kicking my butt! Almost feel worse from them than the sinus infection or whatever…  I make a decision to hunt the ground… just don’t have the energy to put up a stand and take down each day… I have to travel 3 hrs to where I hunt and stay with friends. I made a home-made ghillie string suit last winter and want to try it out anyway…so I stay out of the trees this year.  Never had any luck on the ground before, but read all these neat stories on “Gang” so I’m psyched to try…  The heavy winds in the area predicted for all day helped make the choice to stay out of trees!

Found a ground set up 2 weeks ago during our opener near where I had luck last year. I only saw 3 deer and they busted me coming in through open hemlocks.  I moved and that was it.  I left the woods early due to a call from the nursing home in case I had to make a wild run home, but Dad stabilized and I continued my visit, but the hunt was over.

This week, I return.  I see 2 deer on the logging road early AM but some distance off… I feel “exposed” without anything to break up my outline, so I quietly move some blow downs around me, add some dead oak tops and a few hemlock boughs…that’s better! I can see around, but I have some cover to break up my visage front and back and to one side… ok.

I have a “bambi McNugget come in about 9am… I move my foot and she hears it scrape a root and nails me at 12 yards… I freeze and avoid eye contact… she relaxes and I had a shot broadside, but I’m not shooting a fawn of the year… I convince myself its ok cause’ there is as much work to a tiny fawn as a big deer that will feed me all winter…so I pass. I draw on it undetected. This ghillie stuff might be ok… but it’s a dumb fawn!

Mid-day I rendezvous with a friend for a short visit, cat nap and lunch…and more danged meds! Back into the woods and sneak about scouting and still hunting and end back at the blind. From another angle, I see I need a bit more “cover” and add to it and settle in.

About 5:00 my butt is numb from the Nifty Seat. Love that li’l thing…for an hour or so…then hate it. Promise myself I’ll stand at 5:30…I didn’t. I start to feel the recurring nausea that follows taking meds … I’m sick and tired of feeling tired and sick! But it’s a beautiful day, even with the wind… and I’m just content to be there… but I stayed sitting.

…and then I see deer moving toward me from the front quickly… the lead deer is a doe as are the 3 fawns following.

Greed, stupidity, or what? I assess the deer moving toward me quickly and feel she’s still pretty small…probably last year’s fawn…but I don’t often encounter deer on the ground at close range…so my perspective is off compared to sizing deer from my normal tree stand view.

I hesitate…keep looking back at the other 3. The lead doe is angling up hill to my left…good shot for a right hander…but I just don’t commit. I just watch…she stops at under 20 yards.. (probably an honest 15) and is perfect slight quartering away… onside front leg opens up, but the switch in my brain doesn’t trigger… I have the bow up…but the string doesn’t come back.

She jumps a small blowdown… and moves through several other shooting lanes… and now is upwind…. And doesn’t make me…that highly arguable “scent blocker” clothing might do something as the wind is strong directly to her…

I turn and she catches movement and hits full stare mode. I avoid eye contact and she gets hinky and bolts 10 yrds back down the way she came. Stops and relaxes and there is a small window. I hit full draw, but the window is small and I’m tired and stiff…I decide if I didn’t take the peep shot in full view before I wasn’t taking a marginal one now… we again do the stare down as I ease down my draw. She never really bolts but moves back toward the fawns and back the way they came, kids in tow.

I sit there wondering what the heck just happened. I had a beautiful shot at 15+ yards…perfect alignment, open lane… and I couldn’t/didn’t commit?? Why???

Greed? Did I want a bigger animal to justify the work?  Soft headed? Too sick and nauseas to make the effort seem worthwhile, knowing what follows of tracking, gutting, dragging and then processing at my guest quarters till I head home Sunday and drop off at a friend’s walk in cooler to age?

I just sat there befuddled and bewildered.  I was stoked and grinning to have had a close encounter. My ghillie suit seems to have worked better than I’d ever expected… I got away with some movement and wasn’t picked off…even though visible…

ALL I could think of was that it was neat to have had that experience but in an hour, I could just pick up my gear and walk out, go back to where I was staying and have a hot meal and not have to do all the work.   The thought of the effort involved in the killing of an animal seemed more than I wanted to embrace.

Why am I putting myself through the hard work to get there, get up early, sit long painful hours and endure back pain and numb butt to then pass a shot?

I recall years past when there was a lot of stress, I seemed to ‘loose’ that ‘killer instinct’ until things improved.  This year, all the sadness, all the pain of watching my father decline weekly feels to be in perspective and managed… closing the apartment is an overwhelming task that makes me wonder if I should be home Saturdays doing that instead of going hunting, but everyone tells me to “take care of the caretaker” and this is MY TIME!  Archery season!!!  It is what drives me all year!! And yet, something is missing…the drive…the passion…I can’t quite figure it.  It is almost as though I am now more of an “observer than a participant.” I don’t fully understand and feel bewildered…but not terribly upset.

With so much work to be done at home, I’m questioning my motives to even be out there if I’m not going to “make meat” and capitalize on opportunities given to me by my Creator? I love venison and I love processing and butchering deer.

What has or is happening?

Anyone else experience the ebb and flow of the killer instinct when things are in turmoil in their personal lives?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Decision (?) NOT to kill??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
It isn't about the kill. It is about being out there and seeing it all unfold.
a passed up shot is nothing but being confident in your ability and the future days spent afield.
Best wishes to you and your situations.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Doc.  I can relate somewhat.  We are having some family challenges that wear me down mentally which oftentimes spills over physically.  There are times where I just don't feel like huting or fishing, which have been my passions my whole life. It seems I want to go, but the effort doesn't seem worth it especially when there are things needing taken care of.  Then I miss it terribly, or question why I didn't go or try harder etc.  I think it may be a form of depression that just throws us out of sync. I am trying to make myself go so I don't regret it later.  I will pray for your situation and that things get easier for you.  I know it is difficult.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Doc-
I felt the same after we lost Mom to breast cancer.  I did not go out the season she died.  The next year I went out and just sat.  I too had no energy for a long time.  Got sick more that year than any other.  I feel the woods brought me back.  My husband encouraged me to just go sit with my bow.  I had many animals pass by me that year with no shot taken.  Then one day, a buck came in.  The instinct took back over and I put an arrow in him.  Things turned for me that day.
I just hope you can sit back and enjoy nature.  Remeber that nature is God's way of telling us that we are never alone.  He is always with us!
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
My wife and I went through a nasty bout of breast cancer two months after our wedding day, that was 2 years, 14 days ago. I dont think I could have stayed sane without my beloved outdoors. My killer instinct and excitement wasnt there as you expressed, but I still went and enjoyed minus the catching and killing. Do what keeps you happy and on course, game in the freezer or not. Hang in there and thumbs up to you and your father!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Jamie,

I've seen that penned many times..."not about the kill" and respect the concept.  Truth is that I basically LIVE on vension for red meat or limited store bought... but I can't shake the reality that the only reason I'm there with a weapon is to KILL. Otherwise, I'd go to the same effort with a camera.   And other times of the year, I WILL go to that effort to just observe....but "why now?"

Thomas,
I've been at that point you describe as well...but this feels different. I THOUGHT I was prefectly in tune, but as the day wore on and my body started to wane...and the side-effects increased, I just seemed to become an "observer".
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I passed on one Saturday too. It is too warm right now and season is just starting. It's not prime time yet. If it had been a monster buck, well, that would have been a different story.

It's not unusual for me to pass on one, especially this early in the season. I also think about the work involved. Sometimes I just feel lazy, I guess. I still enjoy the time in the woods. I could have spit on a button buck that walked under my stand Saturday. Too cool! I think I enjoyed it even more because I knew I wasn't going to shoot. I could just be an observer.

Relax and enjoy, Doc. You are not alone!   :campfire:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I have had some of the experiences as you.  For me, they passed with time.  I think it is a slight depression, but who knows.  I will pray for you.  The Good Lord has no boundries or limitations.  He is the Great Physician and our Helper.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Doc, you think too much. I know this because I'm right there with you.

Try to quiet your mind and just breathe or meditate. The venison will come when it's time. But you need rest and fewer demands on yourself. Use that time in the woods to reclaim that respite. It is not selfish to make time for yourself, it is a matter of LIFE AND DEATH - YOURS.

Take care bud and see you soon.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Not many I'd trust could handle it like you. I'm in your corner prayers included.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
A quote from Mr Bear.

"A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt. "

I think you may enjoy it
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Sounds like you have been through a lot and need some time to get back into it.Maybe you are evolving in a new direction that will bring better days in the woods?

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Prayers sent for You and your Dad. It sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate and we each deal with times like this differently, in our own way. I am taking care of my 92 year old father, keeping him out of a nursing home, and know the stresses it places on me. These stresses combined with your fighting whatever (taking med's) surely has you off balance. "Time heals all wounds", just give it time and you'll be back in balance. God Bless..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Maybe you've decided in the back of your mind that life, any life, is more precious to you.

Killing is often tinged with sadness, maybe your sad meter is full.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Just roll with it. Went through the same thing 3 yrs ago with my mother and lung cancer. I would drive home to Ohio every other weekend and stay 4 days. I would hunt in the am and spend the afternoon at the hospice. Passed on several smaller deer saying to myself that I was waiting for a more mature animal to justify maybe missing or being late for my afternoon visit. Never got a shot but I think that the time in the woods alone, semi-focused on the hunt, doing something I enjoyed, helped me deal with everything else. I guess the routine helped make things feel more "normal". Mom passed the end of Oct but it was Dec till I let myself connect with a small buck. I hope that it all works out for you.......and as a side note, has your DR test you for Lyme?
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mr.Magoo:
Killing is often tinged with sadness, maybe your sad meter is full.
Lots of good words from many and some touching PM's as well...but that statement right there kinda brought a tear... I think you hit something close to a nerve there Mr. Magoo!

John,

Yes, many times. They claim between allergies galore and arthritis, it's not Lyme. This just came on me and been a history of sinus infection which was the doc's assessment 3 weeks ago...just whatever meds he tried, didn't do squat so now the "heavy hitters" (sorry for the pun)  :)  came on board! Ugh!

I find solace in all the writings so thank you all! John's comment about AM hunts hit home too...I'm good to go and got the verve till mid afternoon...then as the day dwindles, so does my verve and my desire to pursue...

Still like the "sad meter"... sure seems to tug at my heart so that has to have some merit!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Mr. Magoo said a mouthful there!

I have sometimes felt a waning of the urge, and I think it was due to depression, and dealing with so much death in my family. Sad meter, indeed!

I went though a period of sinus infections, too, with lots of rounds of antibiotics that never seemed to get the job done. I hope you are on the last needed treatment, and your health will rebound. The stress of dealing with your father's final years has taken its toll on you as well, and your immune system is weakened. This, too, will resolve, as God works His ways.

BTW, my problem was not so much the infections, the root of it was reflux. The irritation set up the infections, and until I got rid of the cause, the resultant problems would never quit. Just a thought.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Doc,
I can totally relate to  life's stress putting a damper on your hunting enjoyment.  There's nothing wrong with passing on shots that don't feel right. If you're not focused and things turn out poorly, that's just one more thing you'll end up beating yourself up over.  Been there, done that, own the T-shirt franchise!  Magoo makes an excellent point. Sometimes I just know that my frame of mind is not where it needs to be in order to justify taking a life.  I'll often pass up my next shot on a deer if I've recently wounded and failed to recover one.  Waste a life, give one back.  Sometimes it's the best excuse for penance we flawed human beings can come up with on short notice.  Trust your instincts.  You've been so faithful in supporting others here with words of inspiration, I'll see if I can put in a word or two on your behalf that the Good Lord lighten your load a bit.  As you're so correct in saying..."keep your eyes on the Son!"
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Doc, the small ones fit in the freezer better, I'll bet if you shoot what God presents to you it will make you feel better.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Whatever decision a good person like you has taken is the right one.You'll see better days and you'll be ready.God bless you.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©