3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deadhead Remake  (Read 367 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Deadhead Remake
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
All,

I always read all sorts of great things about Pearson Deadheads and am very intrigued by them.  It seems they are great heads and if that is the case why doesnt somebody make them or at least copy them????  I may be wrong but silverflames look like them but are outside my pricerange.  

Any thoughts on where a guy should go looking to get a deadhead esque broadhead???

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deadhead Remake
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Yup, I got some from *bay.  3 for about $20-$30.  I don't remember the exact price.  They were new in box condition.  So i took them out, sharpened them and killed some deer.  So much for the collectors condition...

Deadheads whistle when you shoot them.  I assume that is why nobody has remade them.  The deer don't seem to mind, but people think it will spook deer.  I have a friend that calls that whistle the "death whistle".  Deer just seem to look at the direction of the sound, but they are not alerted by it.  By the time they casually look at you, its over...

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
The Abowyer Whitetail looks very, very close to a Deadhead.  Very well made head.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I guess I could see that but there are other heads that whistle.  My snuffers whistle and they are a very popular broadhead.  I just assumed there was some sort of patent or trademark issue with Pearson Archery company.

C

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
I have 3 single bevel Abowyer Whitetails. I bought them on a whim at Comptons after selling some stuff. They are well made, but pricey. It's not like me to spend that much on broadheads, but I was drunk with new-found money. They would probably be your best repro of the Deadhead.
TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
yall are right on the money with the Abowyer heads.  They look just like the Deadheads but I dont think I will ever be able to spend 15 bucks on a single broadhead.  I am sure they are worth it but man thats an hours wages not counting taxes, insurance, etc...

C

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Well, they are a lot less expensive than a foreign made Silver Flame, foreign being Chinese now instead of German if memory serves me correct.  Those Aboyers are made right here in the good ol' USA which is pretty rare!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
didnt mean anything negative against the heads or the makers.  Just outside my budgets. Thats all.

C

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Also, I want to say I very much understand the pricing concern.  I'm pretty frugal as well.  Throughought my history though, I find I spend less if I spend a little more to get the best up front rather than building up to it.  The new Woodsmen Elites are twice as much as the originals, but the one piece machined head is worth it to me...no extra joint to fail, no messing around getting everything perfectly straight.  Sometimes time is money too.

You may have to keep a sharp eye out at estate sales to find a cheap Copy of the Deadhead, which would BE a Deadhead that the owner does not know the true value of.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Nothing against Chineses but I prefere to support US,best value from dollars too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
We are posting at the same time!  I think we both are saying the same thing.  Good luck in your quest    :thumbsup:

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
I shoot both deadheads and snuffers and they whistle right through deer. I cant hear them myself. I also have 8 of the whitetails, best built glue on broadhead I have ever seen. They will last a lifetime as long as you dont bury them completely into a popular tree(#9).
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Dead heads were good heads      They did whistle a bit but you can cut that down by filing the inside edges of the head, on the cut outs  and rounding them a bit . We used to do that back inthe late 60s and early 70s  when you bought them every where.  There wer two sizes   125s and 160s ( as I recall ) the big ones were hard to find even back then .

I just mounted 4 on arrows I plan to hunt turkey with, this season . I have had these for 30 years or so    Becareful heating them, to melt them on, the welds were great but they can soften when you heat them and make that part weak .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
We are all such hippocrits about where our tackle is made , especially  our  broad heads. But we have no problem slapping them on our Easton arrows tubes that might be made in Bangladash??????  That would break some of your hearts wouldn't it?    :)  .
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I can understand where trad archers can make choices to not support the 'global economy', it has effectively ruined our economy.  It is an American sport and I am disappointed to learn that Easton shafts are made over seas.  I guess it will be old stock Eastons or good old American woodies for me.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Yep, Griz Stiks, Gold Tips are also imported. Thats why I choose AD
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I think there is a copy of the Deadhead being made. It's called the Dreadhead. Not sure but I think it's made somewhere out west.
Hap

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Just food for thought ?.  Now Easton Corp can get on here and correct me or Beeman does make shafts oversees also? Now here's one I like.......How many Broadhead companies release the exact source of their metal supplier? Tell me the foundry? buying a metal blank oversees and cutting a bevel in states is made in USA?

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I am certain I would be disappointed by how quick they are all outsourced for a supposed edge on profit margins.  Even in traditional archery it eventually comes back to a negative because the cow can only bleed for so long and we are left with not enough real buying power to support those that are making archery equipment within our borders.  I could on about the intent and purpose of the legal devices that lead to the global spreading of our homeland industries, but that would not be proper on this forum.  I would like to know more about dreadheads and where to get them.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I called them about a year ago and she told me they run them periodically. I their number somewhere . I will try to find it.....something rings a bell about Buck Manufacturing?  I know their plant burned years ago.....Now that I think of it maybe I saw them at booth at PBS or Kzoo selling something else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©