3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DB gone in less than 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 506 times)

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
DB gone in less than 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Yep, I put out my Double Bull blind out Saturday am and, got to my spot this morning before first light and it's gone!!!! I hunt private land, bow hunting only. Talked all the landowners that border the property and they did'nt see a thing. I took the day off from work as I always take opening day off (should have just went to work). This just stinks, it ruined my whole day. I just know it's another hunter that took it. Theres a local guy that I know would do such a thing. Just got back from reporting it to the local PD. I know chances of getting it back are slim to none. Sorry guys I can't stand a thief, I just had to vent a little.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DB gone in less than 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I had this happen to me in the Spring of '09. I also knew a local guy who would do such a thing, and I was intent on frying him.

Thankfully, before I did, I stopped by my neighbors house to vent to him, and he suggested looking around a little bit. I wasn't keen on looking when I could be confronting, but I listened. Sure enough, even though it was tent staked down (not the stock stakes, but heavy duty ones) the sucker had blown about 200 yards and caught in a fence row. We didn't have a wind over 10 mph!

So, it might be worth a look around.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I can feel your pain! I set mine up this spring on private land for a turkey hunt about2 hours before sunset. When I returned the next morning about an hour before daylight all I found was four wheeler tracks........

There should be a season on thieves!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Check craig's list. They talked to a lady on the radio just this morning who had a break in at her home. A wedding dress was stolen. Low and behold, it was for sale on the local craig's list. She contacted the seller and arranged a public parking lot meeting to "purchase" the dress from the seller. She had police involved. She will get her dress back after the scumbags stand trial for burglary, possesion of stolen property, and sale of stolen property.

The rest of you guys go get a carbide scribe pen and mark your name in several places on the blind hubs or something. It would be interesting to place a well hidden IR camera at the scene of the crime, to see if the thief comes back.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Mine goes into and out of the woods with me as a rule, even though I hunt private land.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
My first experience of my life as a deer hunter, was getting a tree stand and ladder sticks that my then new girlfriend, and now wife, bought me as a good luck gift, stolen from a public spot. I know now I was kinda askin for it putting it on public land, but I usually tend to think the fraternity of hunters wouldn't do such a thing.

Of course, now, I know two things from this experience: State land in Michigan is pretty much "steal my stand land" and that that girl was the one to marry.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I stood staring at the tree I'd hung my stand in till well passed sun-up, and eventually left the woods just heart-broken, so I totally know how you feel.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I really hate to hear such a stories.We are blessed to be in a honey spot here on TG with thousands of good guys,but we need to remember that bad apple are around,they always will be.
Take care.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that, I'm hearing those stories way to often. It's a crying shame you can't leave anything out anymore without worrying about it getting stolen. My son had a trail camera stolen last year on private land he had permission to hunt.
bolong

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I did go back this morning just to check around to see if it blew away and nothing. I had it wedged between four small pine trees and had two of the the tie down ropes tied to the trees. I also just got off the phone with a friend of mine that hunts the same property (we are the only ones allowed). I told him that I set up by the same tree that he "had" his tree stand in last year. He says " wait a minute ya mean my stand is gone too?" I said I thought you took it out last year. He says nope! He says looks like we are doing good this year, two trial camaras gone in CT and a DB and a tree stand in MA. I agree with Adeene there should be a season on thieves!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I had game camera stolen about 4 hours after I put it up.  I got it back and, well, let's just say that there's one local "gentleman" that goes the other way when he sees me.

If I was you, I'd be staking out the place.  Are there any other neighbors nearby?  Someone is probably watching to see when your vehicle leaves and then going in behind you.  Don't put yourself in harm's way, though.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I have walked up on several ground blinds and wondered how folks kept them from being stolen.  I use hang on stands, lock them up and don't leave any steps. They still sometimes get stolen.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm sorry you have such people in your area.

In the fall of 2007 I put up a new ladders tand on property my son just bought behind my house. This was a Thursday evening  before bow season opened.  I live on the other side of a wooded gulley from this location but due to trees I can't see the spot - about 600 yards away.

On Saturday morning, predawn I parked 200 yards from the tree and walked my 70 year old uncle to the spot in the dark (along a field edge). He wasn't going to be hunting, just sitting in the stand while I hunted 400 yards away.  When I arrived at the tree I told him to climb up.  He asked how. I was dumb-founded to see the stand gone -- in just 2.5 days from private land with no other hunters besides my son and I on this place! Uncle just sat in the truck for 3 hours and waited on me.

I did a lot of neighbor talking, if for no other reason than to send the signal, in case any of them were lying, that I take this kind of behavior very seriously and how ashamed I am of my new neighborhood.

Never found the stand but haven't lost anything else since. I had a 22-target 3-D trail set up in this woods all summer without incident.

In 45 years of bowhunting, almosts exclusively on private land, this was the first time I've had anything stolen.

It shocks me that someone would have the gall to do such a thing. What if the owner is in the woods or comes along -- that ladder must have taken 15-30 minutes to dismantle and load in the back of a truck and they had to drive within 138 yards (where I sight in a .308) of my back door.

I've never had a break in. I don't want one and I would hate to use deadly force on even the lowest scum on the planet (and I wouldn't outside my home). However, I always tell my wife, we'll shoot first and ask one question later "Is he still breathing?"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
That is why I set mine up every time out, i never leave it at all.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Hey Roy,if you need I'll be your watch dog.I sit there and check if anyone is coming and I controll your deer too.LOL.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Hard times and a bad economy are no excuse to steal, but we can expect it to keep happening. At least put you name and drivers Lic. no. and phone no. on your stand, ladder or blind. Use a permanent marker, or engrave on the metal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
By golly Cacciatore, that would be quite a deal!  If a "gang" of 100 bad guys show up you could shoot at each of them with a DIFFERENT beautiful custom bow from your outstanding collection!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Roy,only 92 only 92 but plenty of spare limbs.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Last year a fellow with his two fat sons came across a steep ravine heading straight for me when I was in my climber. I had added bolts to it that needed a good wrench to get loose, to keep casual thieves from taking my stand.  And you bet the guy was carrying two cresent wrenches.  Someone did steal that stand, if I catch them with it I will break the law.  The day I discovered it missing was the day I hurt myself looking for my stand and left my bow behind, which has never been recovered either.  I am fed up with the idea that hunters are such good people, there are some that need their behinds kicked in.  There is little adventure left in hunting, if we always need to be in defense mode against other hunters who are pushing their luck. What kind of a fool actively seeks to torque off an armed man?  I am always armed with something because of them, I wish there was a better way, but it seems idiots only understand belligerence, greed and fear.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Complaining is easy... teaching the next generation is tough.  

Had a climber stolen and to boot the guy sat at the base of the tree a few days later on PRIVATE land he said he had permission to hunt.  I knew I was the only one allowed and took his picture with my phone to confirm he was in the wrong place.  I left called the game warden and he knew exactly who the man was (he gave me his real name) and went to his house later that day only to see him cleaning a nice buck that we had trail cam pictures of that year.  He said he was on public land when he killed it.  Makes me plenty mad but gives me even more passion to train the next generation to do the right thing.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I'd like to see the look on their faces when they stand in judgement in front of God.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©