3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy Bows...a lifestyle choice?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Heavy Bows...a lifestyle choice?
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I was heading back in the house the other day from some time shooting in the yard, and my wife made an interesting observation that not only is trad archery a lifestyle, but that shooting heavy bows seems to add another dimension.

That coupled with looking at Raging Water's brood last week got me thinking about that little extra bit of time and effort that we make in working up to and maintaining our proficiency with heavier (70lbs+) bows.

This isn't to downplay the efforts that ALL trad folks make, but just an acknowledgement that there is another bit of challenge and joy that comes from mastering a few thicker lams that only those of us that do it and love it seem to get.

So, in an effort to share the joy, how about some of my fellow heavy bow shooters chiming in and trying to put into words what makes our lifestyle choice so rewarding?

If possible, no "why would you do that/it's stupid/I only need a 45lb bow/" comments please.

This is for the faithful in the congregation.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy Bows...a lifestyle choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting my heavy bows(70-75# for now maybe 80# in the future)I have a better release,much faster arrow and the joy to feel the poundage.For hunting I prefere to use lighter bows since with cold muscles it is easier to draw,anyway for sure it helps my shooting.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I'll just say that when I thought about shooting a heavy bow, it was out of curiosity, could I do it? When I got my Howard Hill Half Breed 75@28 I looked her over and drew her back, no problems. At 5'6" and 165lbs soaking wet not bad. Is it a lifestyle, no, but it sure is a whole lotta fun.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I guess I have always looked at it as why not do it if you can. I have wrestled my entire life and compete in strong man competitions, so why not draw a 80,90 or 100# + bow if you can handle that much weight. I guess I already had the lifestyle then added the heavy bow to it.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I think that there are diminishing returns with the ultra heavy bows.  But boy you should have seen that arrow fly over the hill when I shot that microflight 12 stuffed with a dowel out of a 96 pound longbow through the 180 pound 8 pointer.  Or the time I jumped a doe while using my 85 pounder and put the 2219 into a tree after it went nearly end to end through the doe.  It takes a lot of conditioning to be able to keep it up without injury so be careful.  As I said on another post, just to torque off a compunder that had been harassing me I showed him how many ways and times one could draw a 150 Jennings elephant bow that was on display, I hurt my elbow a bit doing anchor first and then push the bow to full draw, with draws left hand and right handed. I should have done two, instead I did eight and strained my elbow a little.  heavy arrows and solid bows are fun but like I said it takes work. i have backed down some because of release finger issues after many years of shooting many many arrows keeping up with the heavy bows. I still draw my two 64 pound Schulz legends at the same time to keep my strength up, I just stay off of the worn finger joint when I do it and I shoot the heavies sparingly when I am in the mood.  I am considering going to a heavier left hander, I am doing good with the lefty I have now.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
I shoot heavy bows because, I can.

However, I did not start out with heavy bows. I started with a 45# at 28". Over time, I just got stronger and stronger. I, like others, have had shoulder problems. I have injured myself numerous times in Martial Arts and Weight Lifting.

With Archery, I try real hard to use my back muscles, not my shoulder muscles, and my shoulders are just fine.

I could go to my bow rack, right now, and draw an 85# bow back, cold - no warm up, and no injuries. However, I choose to warm up whenever possible. Just trying to be smart about what my body can and cannot do.

But, to your real point - it is a choice. Nothing is RIGHT about it - and nothing is WRONG about it. It is, what it is.

At 47 years old, it's fun. Someday, I won't be able to.

That's why my 66" 85# at 28" Howard Hill Half Breed has this inscription.

In closing, I was shooting with my buddy Jerry Bischoffberger or "Bisch".  He jokingly says, "I like my Girlie bows".  He shoots 45#-55# bows,  and he shoots "lights out". He has won numerous Belt Buckles at 3 D Shoots and has taken many animals in the US and Africa. He is a true Archer and Hunter and impresses the heck out of me with his "Girlie Bows".

So, Light, Medium or Heavy, it is just a choice.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Never really thought about it as a lifestyle. Just shoot them because the lighter bows don't leave the same impression. i don't have to work up to it, although lack of practice certainly affects my accuracy.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I dont shoot heavy bows, dont think i will ever be able to but i shoot as much as i can, thats around 53 to 58.

One thing, it sure is amazing to stand next to a guy shooting a 90# long bow and watch his 800 to 900 grain arrows fly, just amazing. Do it if you can and injoy while you can.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
I can't pull a really heavy bow, about 65# is my max, and I usually shoot much lighter bows than that.  However, I would think that if you could pull a bow in the 90-100# range, you might feel a kinship with the Welsh archers of yore who went into battle with their 90-100# warbows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by stik&string:
I guess I have always looked at it as why not do it if you can. I have wrestled my entire life and compete in strong man competitions, so why not draw a 80,90 or 100# + bow if you can handle that much weight. I guess I already had the lifestyle then added the heavy bow to it.
Ditto here... it just goes along with the challenges...And it really is fun to shoot em bc with me anyway, I seem to have to concentrate more... Keeping good form.... pic a spot...etc...
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I normally shoot 55-65. But any time going after BIG game I work up to 75-80. Its a goal, and fun to work towards. Then I get lazy and drop back down again.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
My "go to" Predator recurve comes in at 73 lbs at my draw length. I do not consider this a truely "heavy" bow.

I shoot this draw weight, because suits me. I can shoot 100 arrows without fatigue, and I can sit for hours on a cold day and draw it with ease.

I hunt my local whitetails with it, and it literally crushes them. A quartering away shot that hits the opposite shoulder produces results similar to a deer hit in the same location as a .30-30. Often the deer cannot run, but rather flops forward a few yards. About five years ago, during late season, my armguard that helped keep my heavy clothes tucked in, was undone on the last strap closest to my body. I released an arrow at a big doe, and took her too far back becuase my string caught my armguard. My arrow fishtailed through the deer. She ran a half circle, and stopped at about thirty yards with only the rear end visible. I knew I had hit her, and as soon as I got my armguard squared away, I released a second arrow with the intent to center punch the hip. It did just that. My arrow smashed it`s way through the hip and landed on top of the crusted snow. She was unable to go anywhere, and died quickly from the wound.

At one time I shot bows that were heavier, but I found I lost some draw length, even though the draw weight was not a problem. It is like my skeleton gets compressed, through my shoulders and chest. I lose an inch by going above 80 or 85 lbs. I found any gain in performance is gone by losing draw length. This is why I settled where I`m at. Same bow...almost thirteen years.

As Raging waters said, it is indeed a choice.

Sometimes in the summer, I`m shooting my bow when I should be mowing the lawn...it`s a choice.  :D

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I say to each his own. Some people even like fat women. Me,myself I will stay with the light weights 50 lb is enough for me...Lighter women too.  :laughing:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raging Water:

With Archery, I try real hard to use my back muscles, not my shoulder muscles, and my shoulders are just fine.

Matt
BINGO!   :clapper:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I've shot what most would consider heavy bows for most of my life.  I never really had to work at it much either.  Back in my compound days I shot 86# - 95# pretty regular, hunting, 3D's, didn't really matter.  Tradbows I started light, but in no time at all I found I could actually shoot the heavier weights better.  I think it had (and still has) a lot to do with my release.  The heavier bows kinda rip the string off your fingers and the lighter bows force you to think about your release.  

Now, I've owned and shot 100# plus bows, and they are a hoot to shoot, but I could see they were going to eventually hurt me.  So, I've kinda mellowed with age...  I still have a couple of mid 70# bows that I shoot regularly, mostly so my mid 60# bows are that much easier to shoot.  But, if push came to shove I'd hunt the heavier bows.

I'm actually just now tinkering with mid 50# bows as I'm seeing the same kind of returns from them by working on my release.  When my release is sound with the mid 50# bows, I'm lights out with my mid 60# bows.  So, basically I shoot from 55# - 75# to shoot my 65# bows well while hunting.  Makes sense to me, and I'm sticking with it!  ;)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Good for you partner on your undertaking. First, I'm no nut dragger matching attitudes with anyone. Long as you're ethical, you can hunt with me shooting anything you want. I shoot heavy because I love the way weighty arrows zip flat through the air burying deep into the target. My workouts allow me to handle this weight & it works nicely for me. Haven't had a problem trailing deer since I switched 33 years ago. My storechest is full of great times & hunting experiences. That's the way I like it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I'm a mason and have done hard physical work for almost 40 years . When work was good and steady I would come home from a days work and shoot 75-100 arrows out of an 80# Longhunter or my 76# BW without any issues . Now as I've gotten older and my back is giving out I find I'm drawing with my arms more than my back muscles and my shooting is starting to suffer . That said if I drop down below 55# I find I have a terrible release . Mid 60's to low 70's seems to be comfortable when I'm feeling right . I feel you should shoot the heaviest bow you can handle easily as you can always go down as you get older . My thoughts only .
Greyfox54

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
A life style choice?  Well maybe, more like a commitment to keeping up on the poundage.  For accurcy and to keep your muscles and soft tissues in tone.

Jason

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
because I can.  Because no one wants to borrow my bows.  Because I hunt elk first, and everything else second.  I enjoy getting pass thrus with three blades on marginal shots.  because I get more speed out of heavier arrows.  

But most of all, the squirrels seem to take it the hardest.  Lose to many of those buggers with my 50# bows.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
After so many years of shooting your body and muscles develop and allow you to shoot heavier bows.Its a graduation in our sport.For years I had a harder time shootig lighter bows and as Felix pionted out heavier bows allow a crisper release.Five or 6 years ago after my 2 spinal operations I was back down to 45-50# which was a complete blow to me .In the last few years repeated shooting and gradually increasing my weight I'm back up to 60-65# again.I just like heavy bows and the benefits they offer especially with larger game.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©