3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: draw noise  (Read 271 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
draw noise
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Hi,

how is it about the noise the arrow makes while drawing? I like velcro for the shelf and strike plate, but it somehow is abit louder than leather i think.
Did you have problems with game busting you because of this noise?

Thanks
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: draw noise
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Hi Axel-I have a calf hair arrow rest on both of my Black Widows. ZERO drawing noise.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Get the super heavy duty velcro from Home Depot. That is what I use and it is silent compared to the thin regular velcro.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Calf ahir for me as well, zero noise. I know on those dead still mornings that the slightest of slightest noise carries for a long distance.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I think if you make sure your arrow shaft and the plate/rest is reasonably clean (no dirt/dust) noise shouldn't be a problem.  Have used Velcro for years on many of my bows and though not as durable it's generally quieter than most leathers.  When it wears down or gets too crappy to clean simply replace it.  I do mine about once/year on average.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Yep, a nice buck heard me draw the 2nd day of the season (Sept. 5th). I shoot from a "springy" rest with a plastic sleeve over the spring. I put a piece of athletic tape over the spring and reduced the noise but not completely.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
If I'm shooting off a rest, I put a sliver of teflon tape on it. Zero noise. Off the shelf I just use a regular Bear rug rest or calf hair. No noise there either.
Shooting tournaments with mag rests and FITA style bows, noisy as hell. But who cares?
David M. Conroy

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I lost a shot opportunity at a buck a few years back. I had been shooting stumps and picked up dirt on my velcro rest. I was 15' up in a stand, the buck was at 10yd, I drew, it bolted out about 15yd then walked away with its' ears laid back.

I make sure my rest is clean now.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I have never heard a drawing noise from one of my bows.   :bigsmyl:

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Last saturday was dead calm just at daylight no real bird noises or anything. I drew on a doe at 6 steps and the sound of my fleece coat was louder than the velcro rest. She tensed up at 3/4 draw but I made it all the way and drilled her with a perfect shot.  I think if the animal is close enough to notice your rest noise, something else will be louder.  At 6 steps anything is too loud, I am most often afraid that the blood pumping through my ears is as loud to then as it is too me.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
That was my first traditional kill by the way.  Quite a few with the wheels.  Intense stuff that close.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I have never heard a drawing noise from one of my bows.    :bigsmyl:  
Nor have I, Bjorn. I've had deer pick me off due to motion when I drew, but not from noise from the shelf.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I like a calf hair rest and side plate,very quiet for me.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Amazing what you can hear on a really quiet morning. Imagine what the deer can hear!!
I use a calf hair rest too and it's quiet. Never noticed if velcro was noiser. I notice the feathers make noise if you touch them, so I even take my bowquiver off when I get in place in case I accidentally hit them on something. Sounds like a racket in the quiet woods.

Try cleaning the rest. should help

sam

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I've never heard any noise using velcro. My hearing is not what it used to be either though. Haven't had any deer hear it either though.
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©