3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drag rag ???  (Read 311 times)

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Drag rag ???
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
What is the best material for making a drag rag? Also it seems it would have to be totaly scent free before applying the lure. What is the best way to get the rag scent free?? Can the rag be stored in a plastic bag and refrigerated? Any hints on using one would be appreciated also. I havent used scents in quite a while but broke down and ordered some of Smokeys Deer Lure, he recomends using a drag rag.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drag rag ???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I like the the wildlife research  ones they have at wallmartt. If it's cool out and they don't  get strong witness ammonia I put them in the fridge. I also stick them under running water in the sink and wash them out and reuse them. Last year I tied one on a string and drug it to my stand. While I was get ready to climb the tree I had a six point to walk right to me with his nose on the ground and had to yell at him cause he got to close for comfort. He just turned around put his nose back to the ground and went back the same way he came from.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
this might sound sick but i use unscented non used tampons.they absorb the sent and when you you get to where you want to hunt use it as a hanging scent pad...
i like biscuits

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I talked to smokey on the phone and he told me to just use a plain white paper towel.  Tie that to some fishing line and then to a stick and drag beside you.  He said to freshen up periodically along the trail.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
I'd go with the tampons there tough and won't tear. They suck up plenty of lure and you can hang them when you get to your stand easy. Any time I use a scent even Smokeys use it all quick. I know it's not cheap but it spoils and is useless after a few days.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I don't use a drag rag but I do take Hock pads from harvested deer or even fresh road kills and tie them to my boot with string and a small fishing weight(to keep it on the ground).and when at the stand hang it on a branch.Or extract the urine from a fresh kill and freeze it and use it on a rag.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
I read alot about guys using drag rags but here's my question, Let's say a buck cuts your trail somewhere in the middle, what will keep the buck from following the trail the wrong way? You might be sitting in your stand and all the deer will be waiting back at the truck! I've always worried about that so I never bothered with the drags, just hang some scent near my stand.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I like to think that if the deer are good enough to smell me through the lure, they can also tell in which direction the scent is the freshest.

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I have used cut up pieces of old socks and a small diameter rope. I don't do it much, but I did have a small buck follow my trail. I used Code Blue and just put it on about 100-150 yards from my stand. I figure if they go away from me they will come to the beginning of the scent trail and turn back the other way and hopefully give me a shot.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by stevewills:
this might sound sick but i use unscented non used tampons.they absorb the sent and when you you get to where you want to hunt use it as a hanging scent pad...
This is the cheapest and one of the best "hints" that I have ever read. I've been doing this for years........it works. Just be sure and take it out with ya and when it starts to smell like ammonia.......toss it in the trash can. I keep re-using them and keep them in a zip-loc bag.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
If that buck goes the wrong way and doesn't find anything, if he likes what he smells, he will just turn around and go the other way. I like old cotton socks turned inside out for drag rags. You can wash them with your non scented soap and reapply. Tie to the sock and a strong alligator clip and it is easy to hang, drag, whatever. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I had never heard of a drag rag. I thought maybe it was a dress for transvestites. Sounds like a good idea. Gary

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
 I like old cotton socks turned inside out for drag rags. You can wash them with your non scented soap and reapply. Tie to the sock and a strong alligator clip and it is easy to hang, drag, whatever. Good luck.
I do the same thing only with old t-shirts, I cut them into strips after I wash them with my hunting clothes and then throw them into a ziplock bag. tie a piece of paracord that has also been washed with scent-away soap and drag.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
I have a stand up on a hill side. I walk to the base past several trails drop the rag then back track up to my stand. I'll add more juice on the tampon as I go. Once in the stand I can see down the hill for deer that cut the line. I've seen bucks head the wrong way only to turn and run up the line the other way to me like there missing the party. It's one trick that at just the right time of the year I think works.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©