3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina question  (Read 277 times)

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
North Carolina question
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
I'll be traveling to Cary, NC to visit some of my wife's family who now live there the week following Halloween.  I'll be in Cary which I think is right outside of Raleigh.  Are there any management areas or other state lands available to hunt nearby that would be worth squeezing in a day to hunt?  Are the bow seasons still open?  What game is available...deer?hogs?bear?  I'm still sifting through the NC WRC site trying to get answers but figured I might find a quicker answer here.  If hunting is not an option, are there any area bow shops/ranges worth visiting?

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Jordan Lake or Harris Lake - both decent gamelands - Muzzleloader might be open then - bows OK to use during MZ season - acorns still strong then usually - Deer - no hogs - no bears - No Sunday hunting on gamelands.
With a day of scout either gameland is well worth hunting oaks.
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Nice info.  So how's the hunting in NC?

We're looking for a place more toward Wilmington.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Outside of Wilmington you have Holy Shelter game land  I use to hunt it years back when I was working in that area. It was good hunting. Lots of deer and some bear as well.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Best place around in my opion is pungo wildlife refuge/pocossin lakes gameland . Its east of Raleigh  in Hyde and Washington county . You would love it (if you like swamps )

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I haven't done much research yet.  Swamps...  Better get a good hit on them, eh?

Heading to Boone this weekend for a weekend get-a-way in the mountains.

I'll pick up a reg book while I'm there.

Have a great season!!

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I'm now trying to pack for my trip next week.  It looks like muzzleloader season will be open.  Can someone tell me if I can use my bow during muzzleloader and what are the hunter orange requirements?  I'm having trouble finding the answers on the state site.  Also, if I read correctly it is either sex for Harris or Jordan correct?  Thanks.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Yes, you can use your bow during muzzleloader season.  A blaze orange hat will suffice for the orange regulation.  As for either sex, you must follow the regs for the county you're hunting.  If you're hunting on game land, you must follow the reg for the game land (in the gamelands pdf on the state site).  If you're hunting 'archery only' game land, it's always either sex.

Good luck.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
If you are going to be hunting much in NC it may be worth your time to take the course at Fort Bragg and qualify to hunt there.  I was stationed there for 5 years and although it is very controlled hunting--any civilian can do it as long as you take their hunting course and have a hunters safety card.  They have some great deer and often times you can find good deer right around the main part of the base that gets overlooked.  Good luck!

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
There are some archery only gamelands on the Jordon lake gamelands. That are pretty good. Lots of acorns on the ground. I hunt some of those gamelands. I was born and raised in Louisiana now work in Morrisville righ next to Cary.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I use to live in Cary and hunted around Jordan Lake. There is alot of good hunting spots and there are alot of really nice bucks killed there. Check out the area around Ebenezer Church boat landing. I think that is the name of it.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©