3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Forward handle bows..Pros vs Cons  (Read 715 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forward handle bows..Pros vs Cons
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
What are the pros Lewis?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Most all forward handle bows I have tried have great grips. I think it has to do with the angle you get on the forward handle.  They seem to be very quite, no handshock, and very fast.  I draw almost 30" and I can shoot this 60 incher with comfort, (no finger pinch) and consistancy.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Shrews are forward handle and are the most pointable bows i have shot. Works for me.

Offline longshadow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
John, check out Northern Mist, Steve has a reverse handle long bow that is unbelievable. Fast, accurate and quiet as death. No handshock or torque. You can order it with straight, dished or locator grip.  The dished grip worked best for me.

Thanks, Al

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I love shooting a straight handled D shaped LB.

Having said that, forward handled bows are quite visibly more forgiving of my poor form.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
EagleWing onepiece D and R longbows start at 450. Thats very reasonable for the bow you get. God Bless you all and have a wonderful day. Steve

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Sixby...that is very reasonable.

Thanks for the price to think about.
Once I get my thoughts together I'll have to send you an email.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I can't honestly think of a single disadvantage to a forward-handle bow. And with your wrist injury it seems like the way to go.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Thank you all for the thoughts!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Zradix...   Earlier this year I was challenged to build a forward riser, straight limb longbow and comment on what I thought about it.  Since I document all my builds for the Hill Longbowmen and for my own record, I posted a lot about it during the build and afterward, including a discussion of the advantages/disadvantages as I saw them.  I pretty much copied an old John Schulz forward riser Hill.  That material is still posted if you want to have a look:

http://dickwightman.com/archeryactivity/bowbuilding/gallery/forwardscout/reverseriser-fs.html

I've built two more since.  One I'm shooting myself and liking a lot (Arakhor) and one I built too heavy for me to shoot went to a friend who is in love with it (Orion).   We'll both probably find other bows we like as well or better eventually, that's the way it goes, but they're interesting and fun to shoot.  If you're used to something else, they'll broaden your horizons.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I too love the forward handle bows, can think of no cons.

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
most of rhe rd short flat bows are some what forward riser anyway.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
As promised, I got my Thunderchild in the mail Friday. I shot it only 6 times that evening but no arm slap. Saturday's shooting proved the same.

Bulky winter clothes (or any long sleeved shirt for that matter) is always cinched up with rubber bands or with an armguard for the forearm and rubber bands for the bicep area.

I do not know what would happen with a longer bow. Both my forward handled bows are short (56" Shrew and 54" Thunderchild.)
Romans 8:28

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Here's my forward handle longbow. I haven't found anything I don't like about it. I'm having another one made by Roman Hershberger. Whip has an older Highlander forward riser longbow for some weight reduction. He should be done with it soon.

Sgt USMC '80-'87

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©