3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It's been two years too long  (Read 245 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
It's been two years too long
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I finally got a few hours to go hunting today. It's been two years of working longer hours, supporting my sick mom, spending more time with my young kids.

So today on Long Island the weather looked to be a washout but that was not going to stop me. I'll admit to hitting the snooze button a few times just to get some extra sleep I normally don't get. Got the kids on the bus and then headed out for some public land Whitetail hunting.

Crossed my fingers that my favorite spot would be open, took a couple of wrong turns, but I found it and it was empty. Got out and took it all in. Last time I was there was over two years ago, I felt like I landed on the moon.

The ground was a bit wet so I decided to take me time and head to a low ridge, Ok it's a hill that I have seen deer frequent in the morning. As I made my way, slowly I decided to stop and eat a small snack. So as I'm stuffing my face with a mini bagel (have to watch those calories), I catch some movement off to my left about a hundred yards off.

Yep, it's two Does, exactly where I thought they would show up. I wasn't ready but I shoved that bagel slipped on my backpack and back quiver and did my best sneak and peek stalk. The Does worked there way up and over the hill and just when I thought I lost them, I catch them moving toward me from the right. The lead Doe is about twenty yards ahead of the other one. The one in the back spots me, but I'm doing my best tree stump imitation. After a few minutes of staring and foot stomping she moves off. By this time the lead Doe is about 40 yards to my left. Come on girl, just another 20 yards. I knew where they were heading, I could hear the acorns dropping. And then just like magic, the lead Doe stops looks me over and decides not this time buddy and hops off, tail high over the hill.

So I didn't get a shot off but I can't complain, this is hunting, traditional bowhunting on state land after high pressured deer. I'm glad I had the chance to share the woods with them today and I learned another lesson, hands off the snooze button and get out a little earlier.

Oh and by the way, I counted 4 scrapes and they were super fresh each smelling nasty, and a buck rub so fresh, the sap was still oozing.......hmmm wonder if I get a chance to meet him someday. Let's just hope it doesn't take two years.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It's been two years too long
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Public land hunting here can be tricky. I try to get on stand before the suns up. Deer are real wary. Always a great time to be in the woods though, and always great to see some deer to get the blood pumping.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Congrats on a great day. Hope you get a shot soon. Sounds like you are more than a little bit deserving.   :thumbsup:

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Tricky is an understatement with all of the regulations and limited access it makes for a very tough hunt. You almost have to agree that it's all luck. You can never expect to hunt the same spot twice. It's a far cry than what hunters out west or further up north encounter. But it all adds up to an experience I won't trade.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
You were out there, that's good. Saw some deer and played tag, even better. Great Day In My Book!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I will NEVER complain about my public land again.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Glad you were able to get out.  You saw two more deer than I have seen all season here, and I have had the chance to get out 6 or 7 times.  Sounds like a great day.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Dang brother....come on up here....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©