3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sent eliminating clothing??  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
Sent eliminating clothing??
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
So is this stuff for real? I have never got any because i dout it works.
 How ever i'v been thinking about it laitly and looking at the H.S. SCENT-A-WAY TEK 4 stuff, i figer i could ware it under my other cloths and get the same effect if it dose what is says it dose.
 So dose it work or is it a gimmick?

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sent eliminating clothing??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Never use hs scent but I do use scent blocker an it works. Making scent control really work is more than just putting on clothes but when you do everything right it works. I have had many times with deer and elk that I have been dead in their wind and they never knew I was in the world.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Do a search on Scent lock here or on the web, opinions vary wildly on the subject with many on both sides.  This subject has been discussed a million times here and else where with good points on both sides.    :deadhorse:
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Like I said it's more to it than clothes.you can buy all the scent block you want and have stinking breath and those clothes do you no good.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
If you have the money to burn, buy it. Can't HURT. But no matter what, hunt downwind. I've been picked off plenty of times with every scent precaution you can think of.
Great concept, but far from foolproof.
David M. Conroy

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Waste of money, and so is camo. Just wear your jeans, a plaid shirt, and keep the wind in your favor.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Keep clean as possible and hunt the wind.  I wash my clothes regularly during hunting season and shower before I go out - but you can't beat the nose of a whitetail - hunt the wind.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Been proven in court recently not to measure up to the claims made for it.  I would never waste my money on it.  You can only regenerate carbon in heat so high it would destroy the garment.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Dave M's got it.  They're being sued.  If it worked you see guy hunting downwind, because thats the direction animal look.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
I am a believer.  But I do it all. and I do it all everytime right before I go.  Wash clothes everyday and dont let them in the truck. Rubber boots, wash,brush, deodorize.  If you miss one step.  Your busted so I say jump in or stay out but always hunt the wind!  That works way better!
JT

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
i use it but I still play the wind.  Not sure if the clothing helps i have had deer come from down wind, but you know how crazy deer can get, and how air pressure can affect your scent

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I don't use it and I've had deer come from downwind too. If we could see air currents, I'm sure we'd be surprised. I use milkweed silk rather than powder to check the wind. It rides the wind and you can see it for a long ways. It often explains why scent control stuff might SEEM to work at times. Even the TV hunters who get paid to wear the stuff get winded all the time. Like the old commercial said, "You can't fool Mother Nature!"
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
rascal has it right! scent control has to be an all-or-nothing deal.
good hunting!!!

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Cabobon works to a point but recharging it like said requires heat and that is limited in a dryer.

Silver is a very strong antibiotic=scent controle=teck 4 so i think it will work(my dad teaches microbiololgy I asked).  No clothes will control all your odor unles you wear a complete bubble. You will never be scent free. Hunt smart.  Use every available and affordable scent controle system and you will improve your odds, can't ever beat being down wind.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
If you hunt on the ground it is not worth a sore you know what! The material does not breathe very well.
Play the wind.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
If it doesn't breath it won't work on the ground.  If your twenty feet up in a tree you still have to play the wind.  It should be blowing your scent up and away.  If it is blowing down towards the ground you need a new spot or a better wind direction.  Either way if your scent is in the deers nose your busted.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
wind and thermals, keep them in your favor as much as you can and you can hunt naked if you want. Break your outline with something behind and you will be amazed how invisable you become.

good luck,
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys.
 What i'm intrested in is not a carben sute rather a silver fuzed sute. Has anyone tryed this or heard of it?
 I'm a little new to this site so im not sure if i can post a link but here go's.  http://www.fieldandstreamsports.com/fssstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1565

I under stand hunting the wind. And i hear ya when you say all or nothing. Evon now i wash, i keep my cloths in a bag, i only put on my cloths befor i go to my stand, i spray my rubber boots.
How ever i dont use sent eliminating clothing so maby i'm doin all that stuff for nothing?

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
My buddy buys all that really expensive clothing and IMHO he gets busted as much as I do and it makes no difference.Spent the money on you bow and arrow set up to make that perfect,Thats what makes the difference at crunch time.Wind is all you need to play with.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
It is easy to say "Hunt with the wind in your face" in areas where the wind blows steady in one direction, but where I hunt the wind swirls and can change on you in an instant, causing a busted hunt.

This is why i have always been a believer of the Scent-a-way, scent safe system. I wash my clothes in the detergent, hang them out to dry, put them in my scent travel bag with some fresh earth scent wafers, I dress in the field (even if its freezing cold lol) and then spray down with some scent away spray. This may seem like overkill but I know it allows me to get closer to deer, and it is relatively inexpensive (maybe around 50 bucks to get the basic stuff)

By the way I own one of the tech 4 base layer quarter zip shirts, I love it. Its warm and comfortable. Great shirt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©