3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sent eliminating clothing??  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sent eliminating clothing??
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Thats why i am thinking about getting it. I could get the sent away tech 4 base layer top , bottom , gloves , and head cover for $120.00 that is less then 1/2 what the sent block top cost.
 I have the 1st two weeks of Nov off work this year and i want to do some all day sits on stand. I can plane were i go set up the day before by checking the predicted wind direction on the wether Chanel but after mid day and once the deer switch up to come back from the other direction if the wind dose not change I'm screwed and it seems it would make all day stand hunting pointless.

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I never have used scent clothing or for that matter alot of camo clothing and it never has been a problem. Recently I have gone to more camo just because it looks "Kool",but no other reason. I am 64 years old. From the time I was 10 until I was around 40 I don't even know of anyone wearing it..and people did alright hunting....
Same goes for the no scent stuff and range finders and other equipment...
To me the key in hunting is finding a place where the deer are located and being quiet  and patient.Grandpa would laugh at all these "gimmicks" if he were alive today.Like the old saying goes," it aint the bow or the arrow but the indian."  :thumbsup:

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Since one of the manufacturers is in my state, a few years ago while the lawsuit was going on, one of the news channels "tested" it using police K9 dogs and putting a guy in a box to see if the dog could find him. The guy was found every time no matter how much "high tech" gear he wore. I have wore a carbon scentblocker suit and had two little 6 pointers come right up to me and had no idea I was there, the wind wasn't blowing right at them but in their direction - I still wear that carbon suit and believe it works. If you believe it works, do it. Could have just been a lucky day - who knows

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Scent free your clothes, put them on, and they smell like a human.  A human smells like . . .  a human! PERIOD.

Every time you step in the woods thousands of dead skin cells fall off your body. Every time you step it breaks foliage which smells like a newly cut lawn to a deer.

Study the wind and thermals.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I am with Dan on this one.  Scent elimination should help.  Even if it does not eliminate 100% of you scent surely it lessens the amount of scent in the area.  But fact is fact.  If a deer can smell better than a Bloodhound and a bloodhound can track a man 3 days after he passes an area, you just can't be them.  Hunt the wind and try to impact as little area around you as possible.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Funny I started out as a kid just hanging my hunting clothes (pair of flea bitten camo coveralls) out to rain wash and air dry.  Later I started putting them in the barn to keep human scent off of them and get a little "ahem" natural odor in them.  After that I started keeping them in a scent free garbage bag with some pine needles or oak leaves or dirt and even skunk weed to impart some smell into them.  I moved onto some of the commercial scent covers as well and even tried some military chem suits I had gotten hold of (same carbon based tech as scent lock).  

Long story short here, I can tell you several "gotten away with hunting the wind wrong" and "gotten busted for what appeared to be no good reason" stories.  I think over the years Ive become a better hunter and it has helped me to get busted less.  I cant "eliminate" scent, I must breath.  I can manipulate it to a point but if I can tell that there is both coffee on the boil and bacon in the pan in the morning before I get out of bed you can bet a whitetailed deer can smell my smelly butt as well as the fox urine I dumped on my boots (probably the afore mentioned coffee and bacon as well).  Hunt the wind... PERIOD.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
hunt the wind, the end

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
We hunted from the 60s to now without it and killed plenty of deer.  I say it's a hi tech gimmick designed to get your money but it's your money so go for it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I agree with the judge who recently rules that the folks at Scent Blocker were fibbing to us about the claims of their product.  Even though I've bought some of their pants and jackets, because I liked the look and feel, I won't touch the brand now because of their false advertising.

I shower before every hunt with unscented soap and try to stay perspiration-free by starting cool, staying cool, and ending cool.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
if the scent away spray works then ya dont need the scent away clothes. just my two cents worth but i may be wrong who knows. i guess what ever works for you. myself well i just keep the wind in my face and it seems to work most of the time unless i move to Quick.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Trad 101 and Jeff B.. must say I like you two guys. Don't need that "fancy" stuff. Use the wind and be a traditional hunter is my motto.
Whu shoot traditional if you are using all those others gadgets and items?  :archer:    :archer2:

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Just another gimmick to get your money. Never used it and never will.
bolong

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Scent-Lok's own engineers said it only works about about 15-20% efficiency and it can't be regenerated with heat, this was done at a hearing, They are being sued along with Cabela's.

I use it, but I have both, suppressent and sent-Lock. I regenerate it with ozone blown into a plastic bag.

Like they said before, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. Personally I think it works as long as you still do your part.

Prior to buying any of the carbon clothes, I ran some highly scientific tests, I wore regular cotton camo clothes, I washed in dove for sensitive skin soap ( no scent ), I wore a carbon face mask and a carbon hat. That evening I had five bucks under my tree for about five minutes and three of them looked right up at me. Too small to shoot for me, but they never busted me.  

Try the new stuff that has silver in it, all you need is the light shirt and pants, and it's cheap compared to carbon clothes.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I just don't believe it works. Swirling wind is always a problem but not necessarily a show stopper. In many places, the hunting area has houses and people on all sides, so a deer lives in the presence of human odor 24/7. They become quite cautious but do not abandon the area. I have lived in town for many years and have seen many deer, including some really nice bucks come up in the yard, even eating my wife's flowers in the front yard.

Hunt the wind in such a manner as to favor the most prevalent wind direction, and hunt the more secluded trails.
Sam

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
When I started hunting 11 years ago, I was taken in by the camo and scent elimination hype.  What I discovered during those 11 years was that I got just as close to deer if I hadn't showered that morning... or wore blaze orange or 18th century clothes or plaid... if I didn't move and the wind was in my favor.  Just my two pence... YMMV.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Yes, all this is good info., but I tell you, whether you believe me or not, I have stalked up to or had deer come to me without the favor of the wind, and I mean up to a few yards away, no explanation other than the soap and carbon clothes, but also doing my part as far as keeping everything clean. In studies they have found that most of your scent comes out from your head, hands, and mouth, and as long as you are doing your part to to keep everything clean it seems to work pretty good in N.J.

You must remember, here we might hunt on a big parcel of land and have plenty of area to stalk and then again it might be a postage stamp like what I have now since losing 1500 acres to new development. The area I hunt on now is about 2 acres and most of it is grass. The area I hunt on is about 25 yds. wide dwindling to about 10 yds. of woods and about 60 yds. long. So no stalking, or playing the wind. I did have a huge buck about 12-15 yds. from my tree but no shot, wind was blustery to say the least, but he never busted me and it was going straight to him and the direction where he came in from. He finally just walked away from where he came from.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Have been busted on more than one occassion using full scent lok gear and by strictly adhering to the prescibed ritual.

I honestly believe that I was busted less when keeping my clothes in a garbage bag filled with baking soda. My clothes would put out a small white cloud if quickly compressed. I would go thru 3 large boxes of baking soda a season.

What ever method you choose keep the wind in your favor.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline lonstand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
use the wind

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
By default, I have Scentlok clothing.  I wear two layers.  All bought at the Bargin Cave in Cabela's for 1/3 of the cost.  Here is my experience... in a tree last year, two layers and sprayed down.  Deer came up the trail into a staging area perpendicular to me position and the wind.  Wind blowing from me to the direction the deer was heading.  As soon as he hit that wind, his head popped up and he visibly was sniffing the air 30 yds from me.  From his actions, he could tell something was there, but not sure what.  Being younger (spiker) he continued on... but isn't that interesting?  

I think it helps, it confuses them, but NOTHING beats the wind.  In CT, the wind is entirely unpredicable and changes in the tree... anything that may help... just buy it on sale cause the stuff is expensive.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
It's good for the scent block clothing industry.
  ;)
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©