3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HUGE PROBLEM-shooting from tree stand????  (Read 1270 times)

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
HUGE PROBLEM-shooting from tree stand????
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
does anybody have a problem with hitting a little high on occasion when shooting from elevated position? am i not bending at the waist enough or what?  what do ya'll usually aim at (where) when a deer walks up broadside?> i know u aim at the vitals but where are ya'll looking to hit there, the vitals  haha ? i dont mean to sound like a dumba%% but just need some input ...   thanks   grayhunter

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HUGE PROBLEM-shooting from tree stand????
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I hear ya. I missed high 3 times last year. I finally connected. It will come toghter. When I miss, its ALWAYS high! As a matter of fact, I did it AGAIN 4 weeks ago! Its always about 2 inches over the back. I really think its concentration. I always take a practice arrow out and shoot it when I get in the stand. It helps me.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I aim about 1/4 of the way up from the chest.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Set you a  $60 ladder stand in your yard and practice.

Offline J.Yates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Most shooter shoot high when shooting out of a tree stand compared to shooting on flat ground.Practice from a tree stand will solve the problem.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Don't let the stand freak you out. Bend over at the waist,( a good solid bend) pick a spot and keep your head down and follow through. It will all come together.tm
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
First of all I hunt public land in Pennsylvania so it's been a couple years since I've seen deer during the archery season and even longer since I actually got a shot.

That aside, the closer the deer is to your tree the higher you shoot.  It is tough to bend low enough to try to remedy this.  If you can keep your treestand out of the ionisphere and fairly low, that does a lot to correct high shooting.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
dont have a tree in my backyard but have got a ladder and have been shooting off my roof for several days.. yates made good point about stand height.. hunted at a buddy of mines place this weekend and he's a wheelie hunter and has lock on stands 25ft plus.. the only blood i drew was coming out of my nose! think ill climb,or get a lean-to ladder and stay alittle lower. thanks.. ill let ya'll know sunday what i stick

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Shooters paradox! Anytime shooting up or downhill, bow or gun, there is a different angle of trajectory. Books are written on it. Every bow setup is different, so what one guy does means nothing to the next. In my secondary vision for example, from the ground my arrow is somewhere around the knee height on the deer. At an angle from a stand, it is down near the hoof. SECONDARY, I don't see it clearly but I do notice it. My friends are closer to point on off the ground, and on the belly line from a stand. You have to practice it!!!!! I shoot from my roof. Angled shots you have to consider how your arrow is passing through. If you hit low from the ground, it can be a heart shot, from a high angle you miss everything if you hit low. Lots of books, videos etc. on it. Worth the read!
David M. Conroy

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
For ME - 10 yards and in I aim for the very bottom of the chest cavity; 15 yds - 1/4 up the chest cavity; 20 yds - I aim for the middle of the chest

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
I hear ya. I missed high 3 times last year. I finally connected. It will come toghter. When I miss, its ALWAYS high! As a matter of fact, I did it AGAIN 4 weeks ago! Its always about 2 inches over the back. I really think its concentration. I always take a practice arrow out and shoot it when I get in the stand. It helps me.
x2   happened to me twice this year.  not concentrating enough on form and one spot

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
To paraphrase Charlie Lamb: "Cant your bow and it will take care of it's self".

If you ever watched Bruners old video on instinctive shooting, he expressed the same sentiments.

I can't tell you why it works, but it sure does for me.  One thing, always maintain your form when canting the bow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I agree with Walt. The closer in the shot is (actually even from the ground) the more I cant the bow. I've never taken a shot from inside 10 yards from a tree stand though. About 14 yards was my closest. If I can't see that triangular pocket about where there armpit would be, I don't shoot. I'll leave the super close shots to the tv guys who spine them then brag about what a good shot it was.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
I practice off the roof of my House. It really helps.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
I was forced to shoot from a canted position(which I have practiced) on my first trad kill this last weekend and drilled the doe from 12 feet up at 6 steps, a steep shot. I did not think of it at the time but I was forced to shoot from that position as she tinsed at 3/4 draw and that was all I could do,  Perfect double lung with an arrow through the off side shoulder muscle.  50yd walk as I could see the blood trail from my stand.  I never thought about the angle though.  I have practiced near verticle shots with the wheel bow but never heard of canting making any difference.  It seemed to with my recurve.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Problem solved. Take down treestands, sell or give away to friends, start hunting from the ground and don't look back.

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I had my first chance at a doe with trad gear tonight and guess what? I shot right over it's back at 10yds......TWICE!!  :knothead:  .
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Typically I shoot split when hunting, but i'll switch to 3 under in a stand. Where I anchor this usually,remedies the problem for me.  Anyone else do this?
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
Practice from an elevated shooting platform. Stand, deck, etc. Bend at the waist. Be sure to burn a hole in them when you pick a spot. Whenever I fail to do either of these I missed high.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Aside from the obvious practise and form issues. Aim for the off side elbow on a 1/4 away shot..
Broad side shot, shoot for the triangle.
If you think of where you want your arrow to exit, the entrance will take care of it's self.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©