3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best daypack for the money  (Read 550 times)

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Best daypack for the money
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
What is the best daypack for the money in your opinion or experience?  Durability and design is a big factor.  :confused:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best daypack for the money
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
It really depends on how you plan to use it and what you will want to carry in it.  Will it be just to walk to your whitetail stand? Or an all day spot and stalk hunt with the possibility of packing meat out?

Generally, the qualifier "for the money" is subject to interpretation as well.  Packs are like just about everything - you get what you pay for, and a more expensive pack will be built better, have more features, better fabric and seams, etc.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Too many variables to really answer that question, and I switch packs depending on what I'm doing that day.  But for a simple early season day hunt from the ground, I can't believe how well a $25 pack from Wally World has served me for 3 years now.  Made by Fieldline.  I'll just use the detachable fanny pack to start the season, and go to the full pack when I need to pack extra clothes.  But it's not quite large enough for my winter suit or my climb paws, and I really need to add longer lashing straps sometime.  But the fastex buckles and zippers are all quality stuff you wouldn't expect on something so cheap.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I love my Eberlestock X2 pack. It is small enough to be an effective daypack, yet it can haul the first load of meat out if I am fortunate enough to kill a deer or elk. It's a tough well-built pack.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I've been really happy with my Badlands pack,  they tough as nails, quiet and you can get them in any size to fit your needs.  I have the super day pack and plan to get one of their fanny packs when I get the funds.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I just started using a eberlestock slingshot this yr - for what little I carry. But even in eastern NC I hunt some booger bear big areas. This pack seems to be a right fit for me and my style. Plenty of tie downs for extra clothing and enough pockets for all my knicknacks. like 150 bucks?

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I bought a remington pack at wally world for 10 big ones and two accessory pack that hook to it for 6 buck a piece.

they had a real nice bigger one for 20$ and one you could pack meat in for about 30 I think
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jeff MacKenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
i have the badlands 2200 and the monster fanny....the fanny is good for going light if you are doing a lot of walking. if you want to pack your clothes in for an all day sit, the 2200 is perfect. check them out at Storycreekinc.com, Mike is the guy to talk to.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
I hauled around just about everything in the same $15 KMart special daypack for 15 years.  It's still fine but I got a new one for Christmas about 3 years ago that can easily carry 25 pounds for a weekend backpack trip.  It's the kind like Stiks is talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I like high end stuff as much as the next guy.  I have a great North Face Terra 60 pack that I use for longer trips needing more stuff.  It was $130 but isn't necessarily a hunting specific pack although it is olive green and pretty quiet.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Im active duty Army andi use a old BDU woodland aslt pack.

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Oh you could prob find one at a army surpluse store for anround 30 bucks.

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys,
            I've gone through three cheap packs in the last two years, seams splitting etc., so I'm trying to find a reasonably priced one that will hold up for a few years. I've been looking at the Badlands packs and looks like that's the way to go, kevlar reinforced seams etc.

kybowman    :thumbsup:

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a Badlands Monster Fanny Pack, but don't use it much to hunt. Instead I use a pack I got at Walmart. It's a backpack and can haul meat in it. Paid about $20 when I got it a couple yrs ago. The reason I use it is because I have to bone and pack out my meat. Hauled a good size 9pt with it last yr. The pack was so heavy it ripped one of the straps when I shouldered it. Luckly it held till I got to the house. Bought another one.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
My elk hunting daypack is not the same as my backwoods pack.I try to be very selective on the quality/materials I choose.A good pack can last a lifetime.Enjoy a little bit of search you can droll since you don't spend your money.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Bison gear makes an awesome pack.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Get yourself a Bison Gear pack, many models to choose from. You won't regret it, last pack you will have to buy.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
My nock around hunt from the car pack is a Badlands Hydro pack.  Didn't break the bank, works great for a few items, and the warrenty is unbeatable.

My multiday pack is a MR Longbow, more than likely it's more pack than I'll ever need.

Been kicking around the thought of picking up a small of the back type pack such as the Bison Gear or Kifaru  Daystalker type pack.  Something that would fit under a stand a bit better.
Support the sport!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I like Sika Gear day pack. I just retired two Badlands -- Monster Fanny and the big one. Hardly ever used the big one. I can't remember the number.

Offline PAluke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
My buddy oldskoolarcher and I both recently bought a Keyes quiver for under $40.  It's great for carrying extra arrows.  Has a cooler compartment and plenty of storage in the main compartment.  

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Keyes-3-D-Quiver-Pack.aspx?a=561074&kwtid=489624&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©