3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting pole  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
Baiting pole
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
I want to know if you guys think baiting should be legal and why?
Sorry about the bad wording

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting pole
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I think that baiting deer should not be legal because I think it could possibly make the big boys go nocturnal, it messes up the feeding pattern and also the countless hrs done while scouting year round and puts other hunters at a great disadvantage. And last but not least I think it is very unethical. Just my opinion and will not  judge those who do  I hunt private property and don't have to deal with that any more

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I don't think baiting shpuld be legal because I think it is unethical!  :archer:

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
This should get interesting.

Brian

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I think debate is good as long as it doesn't get out of line

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I thought you said you didn't like de bait.

Personally I think Polish baiters are unethical too.

Is a baiting pole a new product?  Got a link?  I'm always looking for the latest contraption.

I'm dunn now.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Baiting gives deer a reasn to only move at night. They are more prone to move during daylight hours if they must Forage for food.  

Once they outlawed baiting in WI hunters saw more deer which could have lead to the state overestimating the population of deer.

Hunters were mad about the ban until they found the positive effects of the ban.

Then Hunters were happy until they hunted out their own herd to near extinction due to the increase in deer tags.

Personally, I rather not see baiting. If we must have baiting, it should be illegal to dump food in a pile, it should be spread out.  This way deer wont share diseases as much.

"Is a baiting pole a new product? Got a link? I'm always looking for the latest contraption."

John, I was thinking the same thing that's why I looked it up. LOL
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Yes it should be allowed.  if it is not allowed then quit hunting over fallen acorns cause they are bait(opinion).  I say use whatever you want as long as it is legal and just enjoy hunting.  This is supposed to be a free country.  Why would we ask someone to govern the way we do things anymore?  My name is Jarred Tyree and I bait!  But maybe I am wrong cause so far I am outnumbered!!!  Fun topic poll is 12 to 2 as of so far!
JT

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Baiting might be alright in some places, but when it gets to level it has gotten to here in Wisconsin it creates more problems than it solves. In many areas it has turned into a baiting war among neighbors. That is on private property. Now add pulic property to that the posseive behavior goes where it shouldn't. Legal means are ignored and law enforcement can't keep up. Wisconsin would be better off without any of it.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I injoy scouting i like to read the woods and lern what the deer are doing from the sighn.
 I think people who bait are missing out on a big part of hunting.

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I live in Texas where it is allowed. Do I have a problem with it? No!

I see no difference in what we do in Tx vs. hunters in the areas hunting over cut ag fields. Still hunting over a baited area, regardless of how you look at it.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
That's good stuff

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
hah  :)
 Now crossbows,lets not open that can hah!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Here are some questions I have.
Is a white oak tree dropping a ton of acorns bait?
What about hunting the edge of a corn or soybean field?
How about hunting over an apple or persimmon tree?
I have hunted places where baiting is legal and places where it is illegal, and have killed deer and other critters under both circumstances. I am certain that all of this “my way is better than yours” attitude is detrimental to our passion of hunting.  If it is legal and it suits you I have no problem with how or with what you kill them; like I said as long as it is legal.  I don’t have to agree with you to be friends with you; that is my take on a lot of the ethics hogwash. I feel we need to band together as hunters regardless of the way we hunt or even with what weapon we use to hunt. The liberals are trying to end hunting by pricing us avg-Joes out of the game. All I am saying is let’s stick together and support one another even if their way is not our way.
I am for any kind of hunting under any circumstances as long as it is legal, even though that are some things I would not do myself.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
yes hunting over bait gives us texas boys way too unfair of an advantage. That must be why we are 3 weeks into season and no one on our lease has taken a deer yet! We are in high deer density county.  :)

Offline basket-rack'89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Personally, I can't afford to bait, and don't think I would enjoy it as much as trying to hunt more natural food sources and travel routes.  
Also, I was curious of everybody's opinions on the definition of bait.  Should a high nutrient food plot be considered bait?  How about a mineral lick?  What about an apple tree planted for hunting?

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gen273:
Here are some questions I have.
Is a white oak tree dropping a ton of acorns bait?
What about hunting the edge of a corn or soybean field?
How about hunting over an apple or persimmon tree?
I have hunted places where baiting is legal and places where it is illegal, and have killed deer and other critters under both circumstances. I am certain that all of this “my way is better than yours” attitude is detrimental to our passion of hunting.  If it is legal and it suits you I have no problem with how or with what you kill them; like I said as long as it is legal.  I don’t have to agree with you to be friends with you; that is my take on a lot of the ethics hogwash. I feel we need to band together as hunters regardless of the way we hunt or even with what weapon we use to hunt. The liberals are trying to end hunting by pricing us avg-Joes out of the game. All I am saying is let’s stick together and support one another even if their way is not our way.
I am for any kind of hunting under any circumstances as long as it is legal, even though that are some things I would not do myself.
You are absolutely correct we need to stick together as hunters. I'm not looking to say my way is better than yours or start trouble I just want to know peoples thoughts behind their reasoning.
And by the way the answer to you question  is no acorns are a natural food source that deer have to forage for. Oaks are a dime a dozen in my neck of  the woods.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Baiting for what? Deer, bears, hogs, birds?

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I have seen that after feeders with corn for deer were put on the land I hunt a lot of animals have taken advantage of, javelinas, coyotes, doves, quail, racoons, and I like to see a lot of animals while hunting.

now I dont like to "guard" the feeder and prefer to hunt on their travel routes.

Don't see why it should not be legal
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Baiting for what? Deer, bears, hogs, birds?
Deer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©