3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting pole  (Read 2058 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting pole
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
A question for those who bait...

If you were up in your tree, over a bait, or food plot on public land, and someone unfamiliar with the fact that it and you were there... Came near your stand while carrying a bow and hunting in a "spot and stalk" manner.. As that particular area may have become precieved by him to be the place with the most deer sign. Would you consider him as ruining your hunt??    :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
One more question... Are we trying to domesticate these deer, so that they in essance come to the food dish to eat just as cats & Dogs do?  Or possibly, to the manger to eat as Beef or sheep?  They too have become dependant on humans for "easy food".. That's why they come running when you rattle the food bucket or shake the food bag..

Of Course...thats just one opinion..        :scared:     .

I'm not simply a person who lives thru the tales of others, with nothing better to do than start posts that get people bickering as this post is doing.. I'm going to move on from this topic now, and leave it too the "experts" to figure out..

BTW Timothy, I have a son who was born in 69 too and he's definately not of "my generation".. He's lazy, and can always find an excuse for doing it the "easy way"    :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
Blacktail Elite

PBS Associate Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by L. E. Carroll:
A question for those who bait...

If you were up in your tree, over a bait, or food plot on public land, and someone unfamiliar with the fact that it and you were there... Came near your stand while carrying a bow and hunting in a "spot and stalk" manner.. As that particular area may have become precieved by him to be the place with the most deer sign. Would you consider him as ruining your hunt??     :coffee:  
Had this happen a few times. I just make a low sound to get them to look at Me a wave them off. I have even pointed to a spot where I saw a deer.

To Me ( And this is only Me )99% of the time when on stand I just like being there. 1% of the time I want to kill/shoot/harvest/take which ever way You want to call it, get a animal down.

Hunting isn't about the kill or the size of the rack, it's just a piece of Mind. Those other things are a plus.. I hunt for food, So to Me a love DOE's better then Buck's.. I'm happy if a hunter stalks past me and gets a deer, Hell I'll even help them drag it out..

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by L. E. Carroll:
One more question... Are we trying to domesticate these deer, so that they in essance come to the food dish to eat just as cats & Dogs do?  Or possibly, to the manger to eat as Beef or sheep?  They too have become dependant on humans for "easy food".. That's why they come running when you rattle the food bucket or shake the food bag..

Of Course...thats just one opinion..          :scared:       .

I'm not simply a person who lives thru the tales of others, with nothing better to do than start posts that get people bickering as this post is doing.. I'm going to move on from this topic now, and leave it too the "experts" to figure out..

BTW Timothy, I have a son who was born in 69 too and he's definately not of "my generation".. He's lazy, and can always find an excuse for doing it the "easy way"      :coffee:  
As far as them coming in to a rattling food dish ,No but thats what we use antlers for.
  An as far as generation goes at the age of 17 I was the youngest man in the Marine Corps,and I have worked 2-3 jobs all my life.I go to the woods and do the same as you,and maybe a little more.It has nothing to do with generation's. I don't think it's justification any more than an opinion.And you just posted your opinion on a thread that was asking opinions on a subject.And your post that you have better things to do than post on a thread for bickering purposes,thats what you just did! Twice!! is that a "generation thing"
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I know i said i was done last night but I cant help it. Mystiguido and lpcjon2, if either of you shot a nice buck that died in the corn pile would you take a pic of said buck in the corn pile or drag him out a bit to more natural surroundings?   I know, I know, we're all baiting.  Corn piles are no different than ag fields or oak ridges. Pope and young, Boone and Crockets, SCI, any number of wildlif biologiust's stances on the subject dont matter but your's do, unless we run em down and break their necks we're not fair chase either,  200 kernels of corn to the square foot per acre is baiting, imported crops all the way back to the Mayflower are most definitely BAIT!!!! etc. etc.

These baiting threads would never get so long winded, atleast in my opinion, if you pro bait guys would stop saying baiting is no different than anyone elses chosen method. Its your right where legal and none of my buisness. But when you say that we're all baiting, and its all the same, etc. etc. it is my buisness and is real, real annoying!!

As for work ethics and how they pertain to hunting practices, I cant see any relevance at all. My neighbor whos a pretty good friend of mine works twice as hard, atleast physically, as me. He works 2 jobs and is never home. He bowhunts with a crossbow.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
This thread is pointless.  Unless the point is to argue amongst ourselves.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
RAU
Well I dont put a pile(I spread it out) of corn down ,nor do I hunt over top of it.

As far as BC,SCI,PY and biologist and there stances dont mean a darn thing to me,they don't put food on my table.

And as far as the work thing that was a reply to the claim/insult that" my generation "(guys in there 40's) are lazy and take the easy way out and find excuses to justify it.

And re-read the post above yours and you will understand my response. I could care less that people may look at it different than me,But it's my time in the woods not yours. I hunt the way I need to as do you. And it was all in good debating and it is what it is.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
And I'm done I have to get up early and go Bait!   :goldtooth:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
And I'm done I have to get up early and go Bait!    :knothead:  
Good luck to all and shoot straight!

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Your right, it is what it is. Goodnight.  

I hope you all kill a big buck. No kidding.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Make sure you drag him or her back to the bait pile for a picture to post  :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
I prefer a 9 1/2' graphite or an 8'ultralite for my baiting pole. And I don't care what anyone else does as long as they don't hunt with a XXX.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
OK
what about using doe in heat during the rut? Is it bait?hmmmmm
SL

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I should put some feeders on my land, I hate lugging that clumsy Barnett compound crossbow around looking for deer, disability crossbow permit, anyone with a limp or sore shoulder can get one.  On top of that I got sun burned today and it is going to rain tomorrow, I should put a rain proof and heated stand by the feeder, then I can get that big boy that has been running the area for sure while everyone else is indoors hiding from the weather.
 I don't allow tree stands, carbon arrows, canpounds, baiting, guns, deer scents, or anyone with a Chevy pickup on my land. So tough, it is mine as long as the check clears, and I can do what I please with it.  If I were to catch anyone baiting I would turn them in a minute.  I did not kick the guy off with an osage selfbow, but did let him know he was pushing his luck with his doe pee in a bottle.  Just kidding about the xbow.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by RAU:

These baiting threads would never get so long winded, atleast in my opinion, if you pro bait guys would stop saying baiting is no different than anyone elses chosen method. Its your right where legal and none of my buisness. But when you say that we're all baiting, and its all the same, etc. etc. it is my buisness and is real, real annoying!!
You're definitly right, if the pro bait guys stayed out of it the posts wouldn't be so long winded, because then it would be a one sided bashing of guys who bait and after three or four posts you'd run out of things to say.  I mean after all there are only so many ways you can call someone lazy or say that your better than them.  I got news for you, if you're hunting then in one way or another you are baiting the deer into the area you want them to be in.  Unless, you go to an area that you have never hunted and wonder aimlessly about the woods until you see a deer at which point you atempt to spot and stalk said deer with no scents or calls.  Just you and the deer with the wind in your face.  That is the only way you can truly hunt without baiting.

Saying corn is baiting and fallen acorns aren't is like saying that artificial fishing lures are bait and worms aren't.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »
"Unless, you go to an area that you have never hunted and wonder aimlessly about the woods until you see a deer at which point you atempt to spot and stalk said deer with no scents or calls. Just you and the deer with the wind in your face. That is the only way you can truly hunt without baiting."

:thumbsup:  I agree...I must actually be doing something right!!

That's about the exact way I hunt Mule Deer after driving 6 hours to the East Side of the State. I primarily hunt BLM grass and brush land along with a 1 sq. mile "School Section"... That section is a very broken up place with lots of old lava ridges, some pines growing and plenty of brush and "wild" pasture grass... You'll never find an apple tree, acorn or kernel of corn there. Not even a spring or pond[ so waterhole sitting is out]

This "School Section" is publically owned.  If you check a map in WA state, you will find two school sections in each "Township".  The revenue brought in thru the use of these sections, is "earmarked" for the Schools within that township. This one is of no particular commercial value.  However, some years you may see that one of the local ranchers is leasing it to pasture his cattle on it.  However, the rancher must "haul" in water for his cows.

BTW, the Little "Mulie" in my avatar used to call that particular area "Home".   ;)

Gene

And yes, I had to come back and check this post "one more time"   :goldtooth:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
Blacktail Elite

PBS Associate Member

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
Same arguments as always:
Baitings no different than an oak tree,apple tree, cornfield.
I say "Bull" ! Theres plenty of oak trees,cornfields are MUCH bigger even if just a half acre, and why would anyone cut down an apple tree or any other food source for wildlife? It produces naturally just like the oaks.
 Then theres always the argument "Its not easier"
 I say " Bull" again. I've hunted both ways, and can tell you, it is. I'm sure these guys are spending all this money and time putting out hundreds of pounds of corn just to make it harder.
 To top it off, its just another means of spreading disease.my $.02
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Baiting is, and should be, legal here in Texas.

The great singer, Ethel Merman, said,"I've been rich and I've been poor.  Being rich is better."

That's the way I feel about baiting.

Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by RAU:
I know i said i was done last night but I cant help it. Mystiguido and lpcjon2, if either of you shot a nice buck that died in the corn pile would you take a pic of said buck in the corn pile or drag him out a bit to more natural surroundings?   I know, I know, we're all baiting.  Corn piles are no different than ag fields or oak ridges. Pope and young, Boone and Crockets, SCI, any number of wildlif biologiust's stances on the subject dont matter but your's do, unless we run em down and break their necks we're not fair chase either,  200 kernels of corn to the square foot per acre is baiting, imported crops all the way back to the Mayflower are most definitely BAIT!!!! etc. etc.

As for work ethics and how they pertain to hunting practices, I cant see any relevance at all. My neighbor whos a pretty good friend of mine works twice as hard, atleast physically, as me. He works 2 jobs and is never home. He bowhunts with a crossbow.
YES, I would... are You so scared not to? Does it really matter? I mean a Quick Clean Kill is what we are all after Right? So I can't see the big deal where it is when the Game falls.. Only chicken poop people would hide something like that, Not Me.. It doesn't bother Me so why would I care if it bothers You. I don't hunt just to make others feel better. I Hunt for Food for Me and My Family..

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
SCARED!?!?! Chicken poop people!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I got nothing for ya mysticguido............. anyways im at work now but only til noon. At 12 look out!! Ive got a stand sitting about 50 yards off the back edge of a 100 acre clover field that the wind should work for, and im gonna bait them silly tonight!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!  Im really, really, most sincerely done now!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©