3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting pole  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting pole
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
This thread is still around?  OMG!  :smileystooges:    :readit:    :knothead:    :help:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by SL:
OK
what about using doe in heat during the rut? Is it bait?hmmmmm
SL
:knothead:       yes

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
anybody who uses any type of call,rattles horns,hunts over water and a ton of other methods is baiting plain and simple.its not how you draw the animal to you but simply the fact that you indeed are drawing the animal to you for a shot at it.i call elk,thats baiting them in,just like using a predator call a grunt call a bleat can a mouth reed a turkey call and on and on.you hunt over "ANY" food source you are using bait to get closer to them.i think the success ratio for hunters in general would decrease greatly if no baiting was used at all.i for one would quit hunting elk and take up fishing again (thats baiting to)if i could not use calls to bait them in.all you anti baiters must not be fisherman.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
I'd like to vote but I'm not sure if yes means no and if no means yes.

I'm not crazy about baiting for deer, but anyhow...where do we draw the line?
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
At least the poll on this site is close to half and half. I created this same poll on a state hunting site that was to all methods including gun, it resulted in 80% being baiters.This tells me  A little stronger ethics here.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
:deadhorse:    :deadhorse:  
Stated and voted what I thought but man this is still here?
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Is a water hole considered baiting?  What if it's water in or from a man-made contraption...windmill for example?

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
papa bear there is no way  I can agree with any of what you just said.  Conditioning an animal with food repeatedly over and over is nothing close to to other things you describe. Baiting should be outlawed plain and simple
Make a life, not a living

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
Baiting should be outlawed plain and simple
Why is That?

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
very confusing the way the answers are given.I think the No,baiting should be legal, means that I agree with baiting.Or did it mean "No baiting should be legal"Anyways I dont see it any different than baiting fish and getting them to hit a lure.Most people are ok with that.

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Baiting and hunting other food sources, two totally different methods period.

Baiting= Placing a food product in a specific spot, only purpose is to draw in an animal to kill it.

All other food sources= Provide a food source and in some cases shelter (corn field ect.) for a long period of time and benifits many types of wildlife.

Earlier in this thread someone stated they needed to use bait to compete with the neighbors and there large bait piles. To me that is a great reason to ban baiting and level the playing field. Maybe then land owners would be more motivated to do some improvements to there property that would benifit ALL wildlife.

Just my thoughts.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
I don't understand how people can be so confused about what is or ain't baiting. There's two ways to stand hunt, if you choose to think of it that way

Either:

A: You set up where you want to and use some artificial means to attract deer to your spot.

B: You spend some time in the woods, and figure out where the deer want to be, you go there (or anywhere between where they are and where they want to be) and set up.

You do not have to try to attract a deer by any means to have success, but I find that many people who primarily hunt over bait do not grasp that attracting deer to your stand is not strictly necessary. Maybe they assume that people who don't bait use some other means of attracting deer to them. If so, then I understand the "everything you do is baiting" argument. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I don't hunt over bait because it just doesn't sound like fun. I'm sure if I decided to take up baiting, there would be plenty of people in my state who could do it much better than me. Wealthier people, for example, do a heck of a job of it. I personally know a good many people who would not begin to know how to hunt without some strategy for attracting deer to them. Different strokes I suppose.

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
So with baiting you have a truck come and fill the feeder or spread grain on the ground and then you sit there in your hut, tree hut or dog house and wait for something to come and eat it.  you don't work a field for pheasants do an end run on a traveling flock of turkeys, you don't jump a cottontail and take a quick lead and snap shot, you don't ever gasp for breath before you peak over the ridge to see if the elk are still there, you just sit and watch a pile of grain.  Wow some people have all the fun. I would rather go bullhead fishing.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
For those of you that consider any form of calling bait. I do not think there is anywhere in the U.S. that it is legal to hunt migratory birds over bait. According to the Michigan DNR baiting is defined as putting out  food materials, salt or minerals for to attract, lure, or entice an animal as an aid in hunting. You may use a  call for  geese and ducks. So according to every state and federal law enforcement agency, there is a difference. I will notify them all on Monday of their grave mistake so that we may change all of the laws across the U. S. to coincide with what many of you consider bait. Wish me luck.
Tom

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by randy grider:
At least the poll on this site is close to half and half. I created this same poll on a state hunting site that was to all methods including gun, it resulted in 80% being baiters.This tells me  A little stronger ethics here.
Randy, I disagree.  Just because someone chooses a different, but perfectly legal way of doing things than me, doesn't make him more or less ethical than me.  I doubt you'd find too many people, especially here on TradGang, that don't consider themselves an ethical hunter.  We just all have differing definitions of what that means TO OURSELVES.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
If you choose to bait just man up and say so. But do not try to justify it by saying that calling, scents, cornfeilds, and apple trees are bait just to make yourself feel better about it . Next thing I'm gonna hear is that treestands and double bull blinds are bait. As I'm pretty sure that scrapes and rubs are bait also.
Tom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
If you choose to bait just man up and say so. But do not try to justify it by saying that calling, scents, cornfeilds, and apple trees are bait just to make yourself feel better about it . Next thing I'm gonna hear is that treestands and double bull blinds are bait. As I'm pretty sure that scrapes and rubs are bait also.
Believe what You want to believe, it's all baiting.

Now there is some that call other HUNTERS unethical, Lazy, Not knowing how to hunt.. Give Me a Brake... Just because others Don't hunt the sameway as You, You have the nerve to call them Names... That's sad.

Is seems like those hunters are only Your friend when You stop being Yourself, and Being more like someone else.. The only time I down talk another hunter is when That A/H talks down to Me.. I'm for all types of hunting as long as it is legal.. Again "AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL"

If You don't want to use any kind of bait, that's find Hunt Safely... If You do Use any kind of Bait, That's fine Hunt Safely..

Why does everyone need to fight with Other Hunters? I'll tell You why, But I'll be banned for Life because I'll tell it like it is...

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
All animals have different laws to help protect them from over hunting. Ducks( I am a former DU committee member) are protected locally and federally do to massive over hunting back in the day. Pheasants in many states(I know Jersey for sure)are placed/added into the field due to the lack of them.and most fields they live in are grown by man/farmers. Rabbits outside of residential areas are but extinct in Jersey      :goldtooth:        :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
We've had feeders set up for 30 years in SC

Big bucks visit them all day and all night - baiting doesnt make animals nocturnal

Hunting them with guns over bait might.  If you shoot everything that comes in the daylight aren't you then performing unnatural selection for nocturnal feeding?

If baiting is legal do it.   If it isn't them don't

I'd be only concerned where CWD might be present

If you want to kill big bucks you won't do it with bait!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
It's POLL by the way
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©