3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting pole  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting pole
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Some times I wonder how many people on this site even hunt.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I don't believe it is unethical but it is unnatural. To each his own but I would not do it. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Also a food plot or acorns under an oak is totally different than trucking in loads of turnips or corn and placing them there several times a year or season. That is why the law does not considering them baiting because look at the definition of what baiting is. Shawn
Shawn

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
It is not a fair chase practice, is unethical and is a major causative factor for diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease in cervids, like deer.

I trad hunt because it is more important to me how I kill a deer, than how many deer I kill.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing those who do. My beliefs are personal and for myself only. If it is a legal practice in your state, it is your choice. I have never killed a bear or a hog but if I did attempt to do so, I wouldn't want to do it over bait.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by droptine82:
Yes it should be allowed.  if it is not allowed then quit hunting over fallen acorns cause they are bait(opinion).  I say use whatever you want as long as it is legal and just enjoy hunting.  This is supposed to be a free country.  Why would we ask someone to govern the way we do things anymore?  My name is Jarred Tyree and I bait!  But maybe I am wrong cause so far I am outnumbered!!!  Fun topic poll is 12 to 2 as of so far!
I have killed deer over bait before and quite a few without bait.  I have not killed a deer with my bow yet.  And so far when I have bow hunted for them it wasn't over bait.  I usually don't bait but sometimes I do.  Just depends...it is leagal in the lowcountry of our state so I have no problem with it.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
:deadhorse:  
Who cares.  If you want to know the answer to this do what so many others on this site need to do, use the freakin' search engine!  It's been brought up a billion times and all it ever does is cause trouble because for some reason everyone needs to worry about how everyone else is hunting or what they're using.  You don't want to do it, then don't, but leave the people who do alone. They're not telling you that you have to so don't tell them they can't.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I should add you can only bait on private land in the lowcountry of South Carolina....No baiting on public land at all.....unless you count all the planted fields as bait..... LOL which is the same to me.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline lonstand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
wow

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
In case someone misunderstood my post i was being sarcastic
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Like everything else we as humans ruin I think it isn't truly hunting. Someone wrote it isn't as easy as one would think but having done it, it surely increases your odds. The family who graciously invites me to hunt their property baits my stand for me every time. I havent the heart to ask them to stop because I am a guest. There have been soooo many times I have sat and watched deer walk up and eat the corn left by my stand and I can't shoot them. I get more of a thrill studying their movements and habits while eating. By the way, there is a corn field on the other side of the woods from me and acorns are plentiful but htey still seem to migrate to the corn left piled on the ground.
I watch those shows on tv where the bear is walking up to a barrel of food and looking straight up at the bowhunter wondering ... seems a bit unfair. Sorry I am truly not for baiting but it doesnt bother me cause I dont have to shoot them .
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
We bait, but we also hunt food plots, fields edges, trails, and funnels.  Honestly, the hardest hunting is over bait...I might see more game, but they are never "at ease."  

Anyhow..it's all relative...just depends on where you are in the country and how you like to hunt.  Personally, I'd rather see a guy kill a deer with a bow over bait, than with a gun spot and stalk style. We each have our biases and preconceived notions. Oh well, just one more reason I like to "expand my mind" once in a while.

This thread reminds me of a post last year when I asked about hunting Africa. I caught hell since I'd be hunting water holes...which is "bait" if you ask me.  I was ok with this form of bait and I had a lot of success. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
So what's the deal when grain is on the ground.  I was told of a case where a farm worker had a near roll over in the dark backing up a wagon full of soybeans, he spilled part of his load.  The next day, two bucks, one huge one that no one had seen before, were feeding on the spilled bushels; later there were geese on it.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Saying that a pile of corn (bait) is the same as a cornfeild, is like saying venison backstraps is the same as a Big Mac. SHEESH.
Tom

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
I can't believe anyone would want any hunting method banned..........sad

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
I just think when you live in a state as small as NJ with little woods for all the hunters we have and people are baiting it will put the others at a disadvantage that don't bait and chose to scout.

I also think that you should not be able to brag about a big ole nasty buck that you killed while he had his head in  a feed
 bag. Just my opinion once again. Not tryin to push my thoughts and ways on anyone by no means.

:knothead:                :banghead:                                  
                                                      :deadhorse:

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
Saying that a pile of corn (bait) is the same as a cornfeild, is like saying venison backstraps is the same as a Big Mac. SHEESH.
Could not have said it better myself.

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
I could dump corn in my back yard and kill them from the deck. Do I? No. I scout and hunt the woods and natural funnels. I am a Hunter, not a Killer.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Just a thought does the cornfield give you an advantage? and does a pile of corn give you that same advantage? I think yes. And when they come out with the McBackstrap value meal I will order it for sure.    :goldtooth:

The only difference is one is still on the stalk.They were both added by man.I'm waiting on the deerfinder (like a fishfinder) just drop it from your stand and wait for the blip and you have'em.   :laughing:    :laughing:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:

quote:
Just a thought does the cornfield give you an advantage? and does a pile of corn give you that same advantage? I think yes. And when they come out with the McBackstrap value meal I will order it for sure.    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©