3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting pole  (Read 2062 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting pole
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
I hope nobody gets a nose bleed from riding on those high horses.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I have baited and I have baited in the off season to keep deer in an area.I do plant food plots and I don't have a problem hunting near a bait pile,and in my opinion(which Is what I have stated ) anything you use can be looked at as bait.To bait is to lure.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Technically, deer are "attracted" to something everywhere they go. Using some of your arguments, you may be able to prove that hunting in a particularly thick or isolated bedding area is "baiting" because the deer are attracted to it. That is semantics.

On the lands where I hunt, whether I show up there or not, the deer are going to do the same thing. I'm not going to go out there and work all summer to change their habits a little so that they will suit how I want to hunt. Personally I want to adjust my hunting strategy to the deer's existing habits because THAT is the part of hunting I enjoy. I could make a phone call and for the price of my license I could go to S. Texas next month if I want, and have someone show me where to sit, and have a feeder out in front of me to bring deer in so I can shoot them, but I have honestly never been able to figure out what would be fun about it. If that were the only way to hunt, I would be a fisherman.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Baiting should be illegal.

Baiting defined as the placing of food stuff in a pile with the purpose to draw deer.

Anything that grows or is part of nature, ie; foodplots, acorns, apples from apple trees, etc are not bait. That's just proper hunting if you find that stuff in the woods on a
Scouting trip.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
When I have used corn I still go out and scout and look for sign of deer(rubs,trails,bedding area's,funnels,and cover)just like you do before you set a blind or stand. If you see a corn field off the road and go in the woods around it and find the trail they use and hunt that trail. That is no different than finding a trail in the woods that is a main travel corridor and putting corn near it and hunting that trail.does it matter if a farmer placed it there or you did? it still serves the same purpose.

And IMHO if a deer in your area didn't pee in that scrape and you added pee from a bottle(which the pee probably came from a penned up deer,can't imagine trying to milk the bladder of a wild deer)Then it aint natural and it's baiting.  

And I spend a lot of time in the woods scouting and planning(land is limited around me as are the deer).I hope all that say they don't use anything to attract,lure deer,or alter the terrain to funnel them in(adding cut brush ect. to change the way they travel past your stand).Are truly hunting by the standards they type. Unless you wear buckskins and hunt like the indians did,all the tools we have give us an advantage when we hunt.   :campfire:

anyone for the razor sharp vs sharp debate...LOL    :laughing:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Yeah sounds like fun. Just remember I don't like da bait.  :banghead:  lol.
I'm a file Sharp kinda guy.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I don't know why I'm adding fuel to the fire, but...

I believe the no-bait state of PA recently allowed baiting in certain regions where they haven't been able to acheive the herd-reduction goals they wanted (current residents correct me if I'm wrong).  Since most of us are proud of our role as a wildlife management tool, would this reason (assuming you agree with the herd reduction goal) change your opinion of hunting over bait?  

While I previously stated I'm not comfortable hunting over bait, if I found myself with the opportunity to help out a farmer with crop damage permits, I think I would take that opportunity and use the extra advantage.  But then, if I were already doing that ("killing" instead of "hunting"), I'd probably just go ahead and use a gun to be more efficient.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by trapperzeke:
I don't know why I'm adding fuel to the fire, but...

I believe the no-bait state of PA recently allowed baiting in certain regions where they haven't been able to acheive the herd-reduction goals they wanted (current residents correct me if I'm wrong).  Since most of us are proud of our role as a wildlife management tool, would this reason (assuming you agree with the herd reduction goal) change your opinion of hunting over bait?  

While I previously stated I'm not comfortable hunting over bait, if I found myself with the opportunity to help out a farmer with crop damage permits, I think I would take that opportunity and use the extra advantage.  But then, if I were already doing that ("killing" instead of "hunting"), I'd probably just go ahead and use a gun to be more efficient.
Not to brag or anything but I have done my fair share of culling the herd by me. I've got 5 already and am waiting for the big nasty buck with the pot belly and a big birds nest on his head that I've been on. He just won't present me a good shot. And all this was done with no bait lures just good scouting and woodsman skills. I'm even beating my friend that baits and shoots wheels.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by gvdocholiday:
Baiting should be illegal.

Baiting defined as the placing of food stuff in a pile with the purpose to draw deer.

Anything that grows or is part of nature, ie; foodplots, acorns, apples from apple trees, etc are not bait. That's just proper hunting if you find that stuff in the woods on a
Scouting trip.
I highly doubt that you are just going to conveniently "find" a food plot on a scouting trip.  If there's a foodplot, it was put there by a hunter.  Foodplots are bait just the same as corn piles.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Well, since Europeans and South American brought seeds to the USA many years ago to plant for food ( Corn, soy beans, apples, sugar beets , etc: ) it is all bait.  The only true native plant food for deer is honeysuckle and brows, grasses and brush. Everything that Man plants come from somewhere else.

Hell the Caveman used bait to get some game, Like the Giant Small face Bear. The American Indians used bait to get their game animals ( scents, calls, decoys,etc: )

I have 1 question, How in the hell can anyone say using bait is unethical?

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Well first of all its not fair chase, next it spreads disease
And I feel its just straight up lazy and not wanting to do any of their homework.
  Just my opinion once again.
If  you want to kill deer that have their head buried in a feed bag have at it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
Well, since Europeans and South American brought seeds to the USA many years ago to plant for food ( Corn, soy beans, apples, sugar beets , etc: ) it is all bait.  The only true native plant food for deer is honeysuckle and brows, grasses and brush. Everything that Man plants come from somewhere else.

Hell the Caveman used bait to get some game, Like the Giant Small face Bear. The American Indians used bait to get their game animals ( scents, calls, decoys,etc: )

Hey mystic,
  I took my girlfriend to dinner every Friday night when we dated,Now she's my wife.  To me that was baiting and ethical cause she's a Hottie!!    :laughing:    :laughing:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
That's funee

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wolfie2nd:
Well first of all its not fair chase, next it spreads disease
And I feel its just straight up lazy and not wanting to do any of their homework.
  Just my opinion once again.
If  you want to kill deer that have their head buried in a feed bag have at it.
Just because some club ( P&Y or B&C ) said it's not fair chase that makes it Not fair.. Lets talk about fair then... Next time You go hunting, Do it fair.. just Your hands, No weapons of any kind that is man Made.. Bows/Arrows, Hand guns, rifles, shotguns, xbows, spears, M1A1 tanks, hand grenades, Etc: Once You can kill a deer with Your bare hands then talk about fair..

I started hunting with a rifle (centerfire) I moved over to a smoke pole to make it more fair, Then After Heart surgery I started hunting with wheely bow, Then went to trad bow to make it more fair. If I could run down a deer and brake it's neck I would.. That is truly fair chase.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
I don't think that is the issue. You sig says that hunting is your heart and soul. Well it is mine too, only I happen to live in an area of the country where it is impossible to hunt on private lands, as do you. Once baiting is the norm, hunting can no longer be what it was, because it is no longer possible to hunt the way one did before baiting.

I grew up hunting on public land where there is no baiting, and I love that. But, it cannot be done on private land in Louisiana. Once you go to private land, you are restricted to certain stands that sit there overlooking plots or feeders, and what I used to call hunting is reduced to sitting and waiting for a nibble. Like fishing with a bobber - it's a waiting game.

As a person that loves to hunt, but lives in a state where it has been rendered obsolete on private land by technology and deer farming, not only my state, but the states on either side of me as well, I feel a little like the indian in the old commercial who has a tear in his eye when he looks at how things have been trashed up.

Once the majority of people hunt with bait as they do here, they are the first ones to stand up for outlawing any and all other forms of hunting that might interfere with their method. Since sitting in the same couple of stands all year gazing at a feeder became the norm around here, all forms of hunting with dogs are on the way out. Small game hunting - pushed aside. Anything that disturbs the feeder gazers is on the way out. This even spills over onto the public lands, because so many people learn to gaze at feeders first, when they go onto public land they feel the same things are needed - they must have attractants, and they must not be disturbed by other (lesser) users of public land.

So I am not against baiting because it's unethical - that is debatable. I am against it because it changes everything about every kind of hunting everywhere it is practiced. Leaving those of us who prefer not to hunt over bait with little choice but to stay home.

In the area where I live, I must go somewhere and camp overnight to be able to hunt in a wilderness area without bait. There are dozens of leases around here that are always looking for members, but you are not allowed to hunt on those leases except by the approved deer farming/feeder gazing method. Those lands are out for me, so I hunt far less often than I would like to. I love bow hunting deer as much as anyone here, and I would love to have more options.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I found a few interesting links:
   Georgia baiting controversy
   Kill them with kindness    
   Virginia
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I voted yes, even though I live in a state where it is not legal and I lived 6 years in a state where it was legal and did not bait.  I only voted yes because the difference in my opinion between a small food plot and a corn pile is very small.  

Thats just my opinion and you know about opinions, they are like A------S everyone has one.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Baiting women is legal cause its the only way us ugly guys can catch one. Luckily deer don't care if I'm ugly.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
VOTE TO KEEP YOUR FREEDOM...

NOVEMBER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER..

THE RUT IS COMING, ARE YOU READY?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©