3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are they all loud?  (Read 441 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are they all loud?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I tried woodys already, no luck. I ended up adding 100 grain tubes to the arrows I am using, it gave me 610 grains total. Thats heavy enough for me. It didnt make much difference so I am going to try a few of the suggestions I read here, string first. Thanks eveybody!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Nephew bought a  real nice Predator recurve, and it was loud we did string silencers, strings and checked for anything loose, brace height etc! Added limbsavers and that seemed to quiet the bow the most!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Well I got her as quiet, or more quiet than some of my past long bows. I padded my loops with yarn, took those blasted fur silencers off and installed cat whiskers. PRESTO! She is dead silent and feels 10x better than before. I cant lie, the noise and vibration really shot my confidence in the booty, not anymore! Thanks for all the tips everybody!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
No, they are not *always* louder....one of the quietest bows I never heard was a recurve with BowHush and Hush Puppies with a Dacron String....it was selfbow quiet.

That is why I developed BowHush....to make recurves quiet as longbows.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Glad to hear you got her calmed down,that is one sweet bow,with a lot of horse power.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
what kind of fletching do you have on ya arra's?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I have the same bow, it will never be as quiet as a longbow, but it's pretty darned quiet. I shoot arrows that weigh 12 gr. per lb. of bow weight. Bow is 51# at my draw, arrows are 605 gr., I have a 9 strand D-10 string with cat wiskers, braced at 71/2 ". Works well for me.  R.W.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I use 5.5" fletching, my arrows are 32" long so I like the extra help from long fletching. R.W. my arrows are 605 grains and my bow pulls about 53-54# at my draw, 7 1/2 brace as well. Im VERY happy right now. That Next miss is going to feel better! HAHAHAHA!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Get those silencers off and put on cat wiskers - good article in the last TBM about it. I know the look is the look but they don't work very well.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Flemish twist padded loop string. My favorite for my weights are a 8 strand padded to 16 in the loops. I am also on the string leeches.

Brace height is also more of a factor with sound on a recurve over a long bow. There will be a distance that is much quieter than others on most recurves.

Arrow weight is also more critical. Lighter weight arrows are louder than heavier shafts.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I see you got her quiet.  I am another proponent of low strand strings.  I have a BW Compact Hunter that was just plain loud.  Put an 8 strand, padded loop D10 from SBD and it is quiet.  I even used the spider silencers from Widow, that I don't think are the best but look pretty dang cool, and it is like night and day.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
My Whisperstik is very quiet with muskrat silencers on it.  I have seen some loud some quiet, guess it all depends on the bow and arrow combo as well.

Ganzer

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Bow Hush and Hush Puppies are the answer. Had'um on my BW before I sold it. Dead quiet. I'm mostly a longbow shooter now, but big believer in Terry's products. Besides that, the girls need the money for their education. Good luck.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
The fur silencers are cool no matter the species. But if a bow needs quieting down, they dont work for me. I use them on long bows because they usually dont need help, but they look nice with fur. The difference between my 497 gr and 605 gr arrows isnt very noticeable now, but I still like those heavy sucka's!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©