3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does anyone else have this??  (Read 279 times)

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
does anyone else have this??
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
i guess this could be a problem, but not really.  But my broad heads actuall shoot much more consistent than my field points out of my recurve.  With my long bow boradheads n field points fly the same.  But my recurve generally tends to hit dead on with broadheads n actually shows a lil stiff with field points??  whats up with that?  nebody else seen this??

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does anyone else have this??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Are the broadheads and the field-tips of the same weight ???

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I've shot bows  since the mid 50's and often have had the same experience. I never tried to figure out why, but I suspect that the design of some broadheads actually serve as stabilizers on the front end. However, thru trial and error I have come to conclude that the most important variable is shooting correct arrow spine. If it isn't right on the money hardly any broadhead will shoot well even when field points shoot just fine. I have also found that shooting off an elevated rest allows me to shoot a much wider variety of broadheads than shooting off the shelf.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I've notice that too. I always just assumed I was concentrating harder because I really didn't want to bury the broadheads into a tree or something.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
The broadheads are longer, the further the weight from the nock/string, the more they weaken the shaft.
In my search for perfect arrow flight, I have bareshafted both field points and broadheads. I have found that in general, the broadhead shaft needs to be about 1/2" shorter than the field point shaft if using the same point/head weight.
The type and length of the broadhead can make a difference.
People will say do not barshaft broadheads, if you do not have a safe place to do it, they are correct, it can be dangerous.
John

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have noticed the same thing.  It happens when my arrow tune is borderline.  The broadhead is longer, sticks out in front of the shaft further and therefore the weight placement makes the shaft "act" longer and the shaft will seem weaker.

Hope that made sense.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
ohhhhhhhh well im glad im not the only one. whewwwww(sigh of relief).

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I really hate having problems like that.  :banghead:
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
i also have experienced this, and my field tips also show a little stiff, i dont worry about it as my broadheads fly good and kill deer, I think we tend to overthink things sometimes instead of just shooting if it flies good.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
BEB,

Only comeback that comes to mind is this: If we just accept what looks ok in flight, we're not working in the middle of the acceptable bow/arrow combo... and under duress of the hunt, a pluck, a short draw, etc. can make a big difference if our 'tune' is marginal.

I can't see a deer "drop" at the sound of the release, but sure have watched in slow motion video and it's amazing. If I can't see THAT...I don't much trust my eyes to see imperfections in arrow flight.

Bare shaft planning takes out the guess work for me... Your mileage may differ.  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Of course they say the single bevel heads work in concert with offset or helical fletching to help rotate the shaft thus stabilizing it further.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Actually adding a broadhead stiffens an arrow a bit, due to its width  and creating more drag. The added length does not weaken the spine, the added length of the arrow itself would weaken spine not the point. Most guys andI mean most guys could not shoot well enough to tell the difference. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©