3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Free Range Bison hunt pics  (Read 1367 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
Free Range Bison hunt pics
« on: October 21, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
I have just returned from my 2nd attempt at free range bison. Oh the sweet taste of a hunt where the country is still pristine and water pure enough to drink straight from the river...

bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Free Range Bison hunt pics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
I hunted Pink Mountain British Columbia in 2007 in December..... definitely not the time to go buffalo hunting but there I was, -35 on snow mobiles looking for bison and then attempting to spot and stalk ....a feat only 1 of us 7 bowhunters were successful at and he was a compound guy with a long range shot skill.

I would come in at night frozen and stiff and exhausted...

These herds are willey and very wary because of the high wolf population. Here is 90lb wolf...they mature out at about 150lbs...

bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »
I hunted with sikanni river outfiters, Mike and Dixie Hammett. we stayed in their home... a beautiful hand crafted log cabin...

This hunt was set up thru bowhunting safari consultants 800 833 9777
bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
the herds were spotted and then attempts to spot and stalk followed. It is very tough to get close to them because they have a keen sense of smell and they feed along at a fast pace. you have to try and position yourself to either ambush them along the way as they feed or get close enough with cover you can get a shot....

bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
Finally on day 8 of the 10 day hunt... the meat pole has alittle bend to it....

bryce olson

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
Good for you, you got one. Sounds like a great hunt. Thanks for posting.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
here is what happened....we spotted this herd from about a mile away, glassing from a lookout where we could see an entire valley....7 days earlier Tom Miranda and his film crew where at this same spot and ultimately Tom arrowed his nice bull from 37 yds catching the whole thing on film for an upcoming episode on ESPN... back to the story...My guide and I headed out on foot to the area where we could approach the herd that was feeding in a meadow. Having attempted many spot and stalks all week thus far, we arrived this time with the wind in our face and prayed no wind swirling would ocur and bust us like had happened all week long,,,,fortunately my prayers were answered... the herd was at the meadows edge and we had positioned ourselves just inside the trees...I shed my pack and binocs, had my face camo net in place, my hands gloved, an arrow on the string and set out to stalk the last few feet of cover...moving carefully and slowly and leaving my guide behind...the wind continued strong in my face...a nice cow and calf were first to feed in range and I stood motionless at 32 yards hoping the wind would not alert them I was waiting...next came a very nice bull...Praise the Lord i rejoiced! I had seen bulls all week but not where I could confidently draw and comfortably set myself ready for a great shot. The big guys don't travel with the herds typically and when i had seen them, they often were moving about inside the group and not on an outer edge.... I had little time to think this over.. one instant there is a cow/calf and the next I am seeing massive horn bases, a dark head and then a quick glance to check sex and it was now or never...a small spruce sappling group hid me and my shooting lane was between the limbs and branches. I had already bent a few and twisted othe limbs to give me adaquate clearance to thread an arrow thru and now in an instant there he was...feeding along and in my shooting lane...My bow was already vertical, my fingers applied tension on the string, this was the moment and then he paused and looked up to view his surroundings... in one motion I drew... my 55lb Palmer at 28", stretching it to my 30.5" draw length and the 585 gr Easton FMJ 300 was set to do the job I had in mind when I put the 4 fletch 4" feathers on it. The 175 gr single bevel Zwickey head just touched my riser, anchor 1, then I touched my nose to the feather end,anchor 2, my leather glove tip touched my mouth corner and thumb caught the back of my jaw bone, anchor 3, and in my sight picture I focused on the spot behind the shoulder, just at the top of the the bottom 1/3 of his enormous body, all 1500lbs of him. Later i learned my guide ranged him at 32 yards from my shooting spot... Earlier in the week, 2 compound hunters had lost their bulls after sticking them and having them bust out and disappear into the timber and never recovered them... I was doing my best mentally,to not have him tagged and mounted before I even released the arrow... I prayed for calmness and asked God to annoint the path of my arrow and keep it free from deflection....I heard Rick Welch saying "hold, hold, hold..let everything stop moving" just as if he was there again beside me during his coaching school...I revisted the mental imagery I had rehearsed over and over and over again in my mind....seeing my sight picture with my bull in clear position, my chosen spot defined to individual hairs and upon release, my arrow, flying true to the spot..... then it happened, I released...as in slow motion, it all came together but as the arrow traveled part way to him, i went from releasing it, to the next moment of, what happened? My guide's whisper seemd like a silent shout..Did you miss him? Where is your arrow? Confused, I looked hard at the big bulls vital area and strained to see red and white feathers, nothing.... the big bull just stood there unaware a bow had just lanched an arrow his direction...My heart sunk, my eyes and ears told me I missed...there had been no familiar striking thud.. the sound successful hunters hear as the unmistakeable confirmation that their arrow found the mark...nothing... then the bull turned slightly and I caught the view of the broadhead and shaft exiting his other side! I was able to confirm a great hit, a pass thru penetration and now it made sense at that moment why I was not able to see feathers in the fur of his kill zone... they were not there but rather inside his body cavity! Now the heavy praying began..Dear Lord put this bull on the ground... keep me hidden and don't let him spook....and just that, He granted...the bull appeared as if nothing happened...I watched him intently... I studied his every move... Yes, he was beginning to appear weak! ... he stopped feeding and just took steps in the general direction away from my position... He got out to 66 yards and then to my satisfaction, laid down...at this point I am convinced there is a very good chance this hunt is almost over...I am thanking Jesus and praisng God and hoping he is down permanently...The rest of the herd continued feeding away and he did not care to join them..then I got nervous...He got back up and walked to the edge of a patch of willows. his steps less than solid, his hind quarters showing some wobble... fearing he may not be as hurt as he appeared...we backed out of our position to try and get close again for a 2nd arrow. The bull was not interested in staying with the rest of the herd. yet he was not in an approachable spot either...we were unable to stalk close enough to get a second shot.. He got to his feet again and went back toward the area where he first laid down. along the way, he chose to lay down again and this time he would not get back up. Without notice, the herd fed away and were soon into the trees at the meadows far edge...my bull did not rejoin them and we broke out of the cover of trees to begin the process of getting him back to camp. The outfitter was able to get his truck, equiped with a winch, into the meadow.

after a few pics we were on our way back to camp and I was thinking about a shoulder mount and backstraps for dinner....

bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »

the hunt was a success..not because of the bull on the ground, that was just an added bonus... Seeing the country, making new friends, testing my skills and enjoying 10 days in this paradise was truly remarkable... I learned soooo much to help me be a better hunter thanks to the other hunters in camp, my guide Don Harris, and the outfitter. Mike and Dixie run a first class operation and I would not hesitate to return to hunt with them again. they are outfitters for several species including bison, moose, sheep, goats, and grizzly. I look forward to Columbia blacktail deer next month in California and will keep you posted....
bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
bryce olson

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
Wow!!! look like an awesome trip
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
Congrats, what an amazing acomplishment with trad equipment the free ranging bison is.Well done and thanks for taking us along. What an impressive piece that shoulder mount will be on your wall.
hunt it

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
NICE!
 Congrats!!

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Fun hunt!  thanks for sharing.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Benner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Great hunt. Congratulations.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Awesome hunt, thanks for sharing!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing (awesome)  :notworthy:
Larry

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Thank you!

This is as close as I will ever get.. too bad for me.

You have been a wonderful witness!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time.  Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Congrats Bryce! What a great hunt!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©