3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Pitty  (Read 154 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting Pitty
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
My Father and little brother have been planning an Elk hunt for a couple years now.  I am very excited for them but after talking with my Dad last night, I couldnt help but feel pitty for them.

You see they have opted to use guns which is fine, its their choice.  They have been saving for a couple years for this expensive hunt.  A couple days ago the guide called and said he has a good feeling about this hunt and is pretty sure they will get a shot less than 400 yards. (WHAT I thought 400 YARDS)

I know hunting is hunting but I felt pitty, they may only get target shooting in at best and no actual hunting.  Made me wonder if this guide was even a hunter?

I guess my difference in thought is what separates the bow hunters from Target shooters. I cant help but feel pitty but understand "to each their own"!

Personally I am happy I enjoy my time afield and am happy if they enjoy their hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting Pitty
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Lead a horse to water. Always said I'm lucky to hunt with a longbow (year round) 33 years straight.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Charlie - my first few Elk hunts were with the rifle. I got a couple bulls, learned a little about the animal and had so much fun I kept returning.

Then I "graduated" to the muzzleloader - and was fortunate enough to score a nice 6X6 my first time using it so....now I'm strictly using my bow.

I've only used it once so far and saw more elk than anyone in camp (maybe because I didn't make noise shooting?? Or method of hunting??). Regardless, I had a blast. I saw 5 legal bulls all within Rifle/BP range but outside my longbow comfort zone so no shot. One was a DANDY 6X6 at about 40 yards but I couldnt get him to come any closer - he may not remember me but I'll never forget him  :)

But do you know what - I have ZERO second thoughts, what a great time!!!!!

So I don't feel pity for them, I'm green with envy!!!! I haven't been in Elk woods the last 4 seasons and miss it tremendously. Assuming their outfitter is legal, there's good people and eats in camp and they're in beautiful country where they have a legitimate chance of seeing Elk - they'll have the time of their lives!

My best to them.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
You know Rich, you are absolutely right.  I just hope they are not robbed from a good experience.

It dawned on me just recently, the outfitter may be acustomed to dealing with unhealthy people taht are not able to pull their own weight.

I know my Dad and Brother will be in God's country and therefore it should be a good trip. I think the horse trip into remote wilderness and a platform tent will be worth its weight in Gold alone.  Seeing animals will be Icing on the cake.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I have shoot almost all my elk with a bow. I shoot a cow once the was a long shoot at about 400 yards or so. It just takes the intimacy out of it for me. My freinds were trying to give me hi 5's but it just didn't seem right. Now if it would have been 4 yds I would have felt better. Right now I have been hunting a cow tag that I could'nt fill during the regular bowhunt. It's the rifle elk hunt now and has made it tough to say the least. I sure get some weird looks packing the curve around the rifle boys. I can hear most of them coming a mile away while they make their way through the timber,many don't even get out of their truck. I bet none of them have seen a bull at 10 yds like me this year,just wished it would have been a cow. I don't care to much how a person hunts but for me I like it up close and personal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©