3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still Sick, Hunted Anyway and Got Bloody-Thanks All  (Read 814 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Still Sick, Hunted Anyway and Got Bloody-Thanks All
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I had started a thread about hunting when you were sick, pretty much the consensus was hunt anyways.  Well, I started to feel better last night, so I went out this morning intending to hunt for an hour or so before work......when I got out of my tree I found this....

I'll let you think about this for awhile, I have to go to work for a couple of hours, I promise I will finish this up later this afternoon....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still Sick, Hunted Anyway and Got Bloody-Thanks All
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Looks like a quartering away shot and you hit the offside shoulder. Snapped the arrow. Good blood sign.  

Now David, there are some on here that will think you were hunting over bait since there are acorns in your photo! : )

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Sick every deer season, same time. Hunted hardwoods for years.

Leaf mold allergy.

Flonase and Claritin, haven't been sick for last 8 yrs or so.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
looking good so far!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Nice! Not hard figuring out what food you were huntin' over.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Persistance pays, sometimes you gotta play through the pain.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Atta Boy Dave!!!  Hunt every chance you can...even when your sick. Beats sitting home with the wife or spending a day at work.     :thumbsup:      :jumper:

I hope Little Mikey C checks out your thread....Lord knows how short his leash is...   :dunno:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Awesome...btw it's afternoon already where's the rest of the story!  :coffee:  

Originally posted by IndianaBowman:
Now David, there are some on here that will think you were hunting over bait since there are acorns in your photo! : )
Ya just had to go there now didn't ya   :nono:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Yep, it's later...  :deadhorse:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I used to like that boy.
I gotta go out to the weekly meeting of the Chagrined Again Hunting Club. Y'all let me know how it turns out, OK?

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I'm sick also, thought about going yesterday but with all the sneezing and coughing, I don't think I would have seen much. Couldn't get out today either but I am feeling a little better ( I hate when this happens )
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Happy for ya Dave! ..... As for Skipp.....   :p  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I too hunt when I'm sick, but the coughing drives me crazy . . . you never really notice how often you cough when your sick until you hit the woods, lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Ok, ok......you're right Terry, "baiting" with acorns is a pretty good way to hunt around these parts.

I decided last night that I was going to try to hunt this morning at a stand I call the "Ridge Top Scrape" stand, you'll see why later.  I had parked and was getting ready to leave the truck when I realized that I had forgotten to bring my two climbing sticks needed for this stand, I was not a happy man. I looked at the time and figured that I could make it home and back and be in my stand as daylight was breaking, and as Joe said, "You can't kill anything laying on the couch".  I went home, got my sticks and made my way to the stand.  I was able to get situated about five minutes before shooting light arrived, late, but still ok.  The piece of land I was hunting is about a 350 X 450 yard piece of land surrounded by posted property on all sides except the northwest, which is where I park and enter from. There is a gully that runs southeast up a hill to a pretty good oak flat, with a thick stand of hemlocks to the east, to the west is dense brush that I think deer bed in.  200 yards past the property line to the south are a bunch of fields, so I thought the head of the gully would be a good place to intercept deer returning from the fields to their bedding areas.  When I first scouted the area I found a very concentrated series of last years rubs and scrapes about 40 yards from the head of the gully, along the edge of the hemlocks.

I had been in my stand about 15 minutes when my son texted me about football practice, I answered him at 6:47, and wished him a happy birthday.  Yup, Hunter is 14 today!  I put my phone away and decided to grunt and rattle.  The rattling session was about a minute long. Five minutes later I heard something coming from the west and saw a deer walking along the ridge on the other side of the gully. He crossed at the head of the gully, now 20 yards away and then turned and started at an angle towards me.  He stopped at 15 yards behind a hemlock branch and then began walking from my right to left at 15 yards.  He stopped again and I drew aimed and released as he began walking again, I heard the arrow hit but wasn't sure where.  In the following picture he was standing at the middle leaf of the three yellow leafs when I drew on him......

He tore out of there hard away and to the right, and I could see now that I had hit him back too far, but as he ran it was obvious he was having trouble.  He ran about 60 yards and then turned left for another 30.  I thought I heard him go down at the last place I saw him, but wasn't sure.  I was standing, and my leg started shaking, I don't remember it being that cold....  I gave thirty minutes and then began to follow what was initially a trail of churned up leaves.  There was no blood in the first 60 yards, when I turned left I saw this and thought, "that sure looks like a deer right there"....

It was!!!!!  

He had gone a total of about 80 yards, and the crashing I heard was him going down, I was happy for such a quick kill.  The total time from the shot to him crashing was pretty quick, certainly less than ten seconds.  I'm always amazed at at the damage a sharp broadhead will cause.

The bad part about the hunt was the shot.  It felt good, I'm not sure if I didn't recognize that he was starting to move when I shot, but I hit him through the front of the hind quarters.  I feel lucky to have recovered this deer so quickly.

I made a concious decision this year not to use scentlok when I hunted, instead hunting stands only when the wind was right.  I've already seen more deer this year than in three full months of hunting last year......hmmmm.

Here's a couple more pics, I have always liked pictures of just the animal and the bow......

Now I'll throw my ugly mug in and you'll know why...

For those that care, he weighed 144 pounds with 7 points, three that had the tips broken off.....

Got a couple more spots to hunt now, see if I can't do this again......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Well-done, ang get well!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Good job-congrats!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Great Job David!!

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Great Job David! BTW you didn't call in sick did you?

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
nice one... Way to persevere..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©