3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bleat-can  (Read 750 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
bleat-can
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Anybody use the primos bleat-can.If so what are the results?Does it work?What time of the season
works best early or late?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bleat-can
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I have both a fawn bleat and a doe in Estrus bleat. I have used both. Once called a deer to me, but it came in from behind me and saw me turn my head and took off. thinking it was a buck, but not sure. I have also used the fawn bleat and had it work calling in deer, even when my son has all ready shot one with a firearm and had it laying on the ground. The others in the group returned when the can was used from afar. Will watch this intently to see what others ecperiences are.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
i have called in does many times bro, just don't over use it. i use it when i can see deer a ways off and watch thier reaction.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I use the estrus can and had good luck with it,turn it quick for a short bleat,the long bleat would be a distress call

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I love the "Can"! I have called in bucks from as early as the 1st week in Oct., all the way up in to Dec.

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I was out tonight and had a young buck about 25 yards from me just to thick to take a clean shot and when he turned to walk the other way I hit the can and he kept on going didnt want anything to do with it.
robert quetot

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Yeah I use the can and it works.  I have called bucks and does in.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
The can works, but not any better than any other calls....bleating itself just plain old works. I just use my voice.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
I wouldn't leave the house without mine. I don't usually use it unless I see a buck and he's not coming my way. But that goes for a grunt tube also. Why have a buck looking for you if his natural movement was in your direction in the first place.
GLENN

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Mine hasnt worked yet. I must be doing something wrong. It is a different brand though.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
So I guess that means, if you can make a grunt noise naturally with your own mouth, don't do it to stop a buck moving by ?

If you can't make a turkey call naturally with your mouth, don't hunt turkey ?

Etc.

Etc.

I like the can, I called in a nice buck in Maine a couple of years ago, took me two weeks to get him, I guess I wasn't playing fair.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I've useed it with success on bucks that were going in the other direction. Once they start your way, lay off of it.

I know guys who use it every 15 or 20 min to draw bucks in. They hunt in western Oklahoma where the country is wide open and sound carries a little better than in the big timber bottomlands where I hunt.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Seriously mamba?
I've used the can here for muleys with no luck. Mabey they (muleys) don't make as much noise   :dunno:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I called in three different bucks in a day and a half last season. Ended up killing the third buck.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
a neat lil trick I like to use sometimes is hold the bottom of the can (the side with one hole) to my mouth and an easy blow to produce a soft lil bleat... Many deer will hear it and tend to relax or feed on over thinking all is well... This seems to work better on does as I feel that the estrous bleat scares the crap out of most does... They want to be far away from a hot doe... Buy to me it sounds as a young yearling who wandered off from mama.. I think it works better that way...

However, I only get about one season out of can that way...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
The can has been effective for me throughout the season. There have been at least three seasons I have canned in over 10 bucks. Rattling effectiveness has been on and off. Some years I've rattled in up to 5-7 bucks then others nothing. I have yet to rattle in a big deer. Where as the can has yielded a few and I have been rattling 20 years longer than I have been using the can. A nice advantage of the can is that sometimes deer are spooked for variuos reasons when using a grunt call and/or horns. The deer which choose to ignore the can have just done that and not spooked. Some of the same bucks were actually canned in later up in the day.

Note: When I claim canned or rattled in I am talking 25 yards or less.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I think the can is very effective!  I had my best buck come running in on a string not 45 seconds after I used the can.  So it can definately work in the right situation.

The devil in the detail is finding that right situation.

If the truth were told I've probably used the can over a 200 times in the field and only had three or four encounters that I felt like were directly related to the calling. The trick is that those 4 encounters ended up with me killing three nice bucks so it was definately worth it.  I can't speak to any evidence of them spooking deer.  Just like grunting they often don't come running over if they are moving away from your position and you try to use it to turn them back.  

Here are the situations where I think they can help.  

I had a doe run up behind my stand in obvious chase mode.  The buck was not within sight. She turn before ever coming within shooting range and left in a hurry.  I started calling with the can as soon as she left and the buck just happened to come along about 30 seconds later.  He heard the can and came directly to my stand looking for the doe he had just been chasing. Dead buck!

Another time it worked was last fall after I had done a series of calls on the can.  I had a doe slowly filter out of the woods with a buck calmly following her in a tending fashion. I think she wasn't quite ready or was already bred but just uncomfortable having the buck around.  She wasn't running to escape the buck but just came to the sound of another deer. In doing so lead him right by my stand.    :saywhat:  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Probably the best call invented yet in my opinion.  I can't count the number of deer I've brought right in with mine.  You "can" educate deer by over using them but they work great.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I've used it to call in some very good bucks. The small Primos can you can blow in the hole and make the bleat louder and longer. Can't get the big can to work like that.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Mine hasnt worked yet. I must be doing something wrong. It is a different brand though.
Same here though I have the primos.  I have used it every way I can think of and I cannot say it ever worked.  

Now a grunt tube, it is a rock star.  But I have called in just as many deer with grunting with  voice as a grunt tube.  

So Grunting big +   The can, no luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©