3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bleat-can  (Read 749 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bleat-can
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I know 2 guys that swear by the Quaker boy can
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I have used the can, it works about as well as a grunt tube, I have had it work and I have had deer ignore it.  I think its depends on the mood they are in.  

PS.  For those that have nothing positive to add perhaps you should stay silent.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I have called numerous 1 1/2 year old bucks in with the can, little dummies with hormones raging.

I have heard the big boys coming in but if they don't see a doe they hang up and never show themselves.

One year I called in a button head with the can who I used as a decoy because he wouldn't leave even after he saw me. His presence was enough for a real whopper to come investigate but he came in behind a cane thicket to 20 yds and I never got a shot before he smelled a rat.

Coyotes have come to the can as well for me so get ready for anything.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by A.S.:
I love the "Can"! I have called in bucks from as early as the 1st week in Oct., all the way up in to Dec.
What Allen said. I also like to use it to calm wary deer. With that said, I don't like to use any particular call every time I hunt. I think deer can learn and relate it to a hunter if over used.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
As for mambashooters reply.

I have a friend who can make any deer or turkey calling sound with his mouth and sound better than any commercial call on the market. Another friend can mouth call like a whole flock of feeding geese, absolutely incredible.

I am sure our primitive ancestors were adept at calling with anything they had at their disposal so calling in the pursuit of game is a traditional art and has been through the ages.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by mambashooter:
I have harvested many deer and have never used any type device to call them in. If you are where they are..they will eventually be there...if you have planned ahead..checking scrapes, bedding areas, areas where they eat and drink.Funny how so many claim to be traditional hunters..maybe with the bow you use and that is about it.   :archer2:  
Just because soemone uses a manufactured call doesnt mean they are not a traditional hunter.  Native americans used calls all the time and often were made by other people.  I'm willing to bet you wear clothing that you didnt make and wasnt available back in the 20's.  What kind of foot wear have you used in the past?

This isnt an arguement about who is more of a  traditionalist, it sounds like you have every one beat in that category, it is a question of who has used "the can" with success.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:

Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Mine hasnt worked yet. I must be doing something wrong. It is a different brand though.
Same here though I have the primos.  I have used it every way I can think of and I cannot say it ever worked.  

Now a grunt tube, it is a rock star.  But I have called in just as many deer with grunting with  voice as a grunt tube.  

So Grunting big +   The can, no luck. [/b]
Me Too. I have called in many bucks with verbal grunts however, my throat doesnt always cooperate with me.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
You real Trad guys, what broad heads do you use ?

What is your bow string made of ?

What are your nocks made off ?

What glue did you use on your feathers, nocks, broad heads, rests, riser, ?

What type of jig do you use, or do you tie your feathers on ?

Speaking of feathers, how do you cut them to the shape you want, Oh I'm sure by hand of course, but we would still like to know.

Where do you get all of your archery stuff from, or do you make it all ?

Do you drive to your hunting ground or ride a horse or just walk ? Oh if you do walk, I'm sure it's always in moccasins, that you made yourself ?

How do you get your kill back to your tent that you live in ?

I mean, inquiring minds want to know, because you are our heroes
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Like many have said, the can works in some cases... not so much in others.

Just like anything else, moderation is the key.

For big bucks, it really is my last resort I guess. After grunting. I've never tried a snort-wheeze (always afraid I would snot all over myself).

It's just a tool like anything else.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
You don't want to over-call with it. A short bleat is good. Repeated bleats one after the other can also be an alert/alarm call.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Three can sizes as I remember, I have the smallest one and the only thing it has ever called in was a fawn. I think right after she got kicked away from momma. I still have hopes and try it when I'm desperate.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Exactly Kenneth, You know how I feel.

Now iF I can lose this uncontrolable cough and get off the can, I can go and use the can and hopefuly share some of the others success.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
They work. But as stated, overuse can dull the local deer senses and reverse the desired effect.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
They were selling them at the local Caseys.  I heard about it and went to get one.  It semms the area college and high school kids thought they were the next really nifty thing and bought them all.  You would have thought we would get an overpopulation of deer in town by all of calling that was going on everywhere. They should come with a holster or a strap, they don't ride in your pocket very well.  Left maaaa left maaaa left maaaa. Almost as bad as my turkey call when I am walking cluck putt cluck putt

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
The in my area don't respond well to calling with that said I have used the can and brought some deer in. The only other call is and old grunt tube I found at a yard sale.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I killed a big 11 pt. 3 years ago. When I saw him he was walking straight away from me at about 50 yards. I thought what have I got to lose and bleated one time with the can. Instantly he stopped and listened. I did it again and he turned and started walking straight to me like he was on a string. He turned and stopped at 10 yards and I killed him. Other times I have used it in the same type situations and they acted like they could care less. Have had more success with just a grunt call. The one time it worked was Nov. 10.
bolong

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Why not hunt a high fence place and you wouldn't have to buy a call....  :laughing:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
trid lightly blowing in to the can this morning and it sounds GREAT, best fawn bleat other then the real thing, great tip i picked up from this post THANK YOU.
 Mamba you are so far out of line you do not add a thing to help this post. soory if the rest of us are not on your super human level!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Paul,
If you don't have anything constructive to add regarding the topic of this thread, the Bleat-can, show some respect to the other members of the forum that are and shut up.  If you feel so strongly about your self declared definition of what is “traditional hunting” start your own thread and discuss that topic there.  That way those of us who do not want to hear your holier then thou attitude can ignore it….as you might consider doing with this topic.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Well said Walt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©