3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bleat-can  (Read 751 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bleat-can
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I have had success all season long with it too. My experience has been much like A.S. I usually tip it two to three times, accompanied with some grunts. I will then wait 45 min to an hour before I do it again.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself, Walt. No place for elitist attitudes here!

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I have been using the can call for several years.  I use to say that it did not work......That is until it did.  I never leave home without it now.
I arrowed a buck last year with the help of the can.

I just finished a rattling sequence, I looked out in the field I was hunting beside and there stood a buck. I quickly stood up and hit the can call.  He came right inside the woods and walked right by my stand.

Two years before that I saw a BIG buck walk up a hill 75 yards from me.  I hit the can, and about 10 min later he was standing behind me blowing.  The sucker circled me and busted me, but I really believe he was looking for the doe I was mimicking.

I don't think this is a magic call, I do know it will work if you have a hot buck looking for a doe.

Also want to say, I think the can is even more effective if you use it in combination with rattling and grunting.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
O.K., I played unfair this afternoon and used the can, brought in 3 bucks. The biggest was a small 6 pt. I wasn't interested in shooting them as I am hunting a monster buck in the same area. I can't wait to play unfair with him. Used the doe in heat call but only let it short call, in other words I cut it off before the complete cycle of the can.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
honestly, I have had more success with my combo call.  I find that a combination of calls works better than just the one bleater.  Other than my heavy coat, I don't have a pocket that they fit in very well.  They need a belt pouch or something for when not wearing a coat with big pockets. After playing the can for awhile I found that I can duplicate the sound just as effectively with my voice and it is one less thing to carry.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by mambashooter:
I have harvested many deer and have never used any type device to call them in. If you are where they are..they will eventually be there...if you have planned ahead..checking scrapes, bedding areas, areas where they eat and drink.Funny how so many claim to be traditional hunters..maybe with the bow you use and that is about it.    :archer2:  
So I assume you use a stone knife and wear a buckskin loin cloth - right?  When you cook your deer that you have planned for, I imagine the fire is one you made with a bow drill or a fire plow or something - correct?

But enough feeding the troll.

To the topic, I've not yet had a can work for me but in fairness I think I first tried one just last season.  Need to try again - forgot I had it.  Heh.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Thank you Walt! Now 3feather, did you get one and try it yet? I would love to know if it worked for you. Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Bleat cans work great. Nothing I can really add except that I feel the Quaker Boy can is superior to the Primos can. I had a Quaker Boy that lasted me about 7 seasons then my youngest found a way to break it. Since I can't seem to find another Quaker Boy I picked up the Primos , but have been buying a new one every season since because it wears out and starts to stick.

If anyone could tell me where I can get the Quaker Boy I'd sure appreciate it.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I have had lots of luck with it in rut.  When I see a buck moving in the distance, I use it to turn him my way.
Have had good luck just before rut starts as well.  You get the bucks that just can't wait.  The are so ready they seem to charge right in, even with no doe in sight.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I think the can call works pretty well. I also have used it as something to listen to while I am trying to learn to make a bleat call  just using my vocal cords. This project may take a while, so far my vocal talent is insufficient. Until I master the vocal cord bleat, the can is in my pack whenever I go to the woods.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©