3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: colorado elk unit help  (Read 624 times)

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
colorado elk unit help
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
Just had my first unsuccessful draw for an elk tag.  I have been to the same unit for over 15 years.  This time I have a father and son in my group that have never been.
Any trad ganger out there that can steer us to a new open unit?  In the past we set up a base camp but usually pack in 2-5 miles and stay several days.  Not afraid of roughing it.  
The four of us sure would be greatful for any help given.
I really wanted to get this father and son team a quality wilderness experience.
Thanks, Bill

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: colorado elk unit help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Bill, I used to hunt area 42 often and have always been able to see elk, note, not kill but see. You will not have the opertunity to pack in very far since there are plenty of roads but there is some good elk in the area with a small potential of a possible trophy. Seen one bull come out of there score around 350 (unofficial) and some racks my wifes uncles have taken out that would make the 350 look small. There is an area on the NW base of Uncle Bob mountain that has BLM on one side, a little private right next to it and the rest is all in the White river forest. Not sure of the road number as I have never payed attention but I could sure drive right to it. Check a map and if you have questions contact me and I will make an effort to help you our. That is where I still hunt when I do not draw area 12. (Which I did and will be hunting with my wife and 14yr old daughter this year)

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Thanks, we will look into it and contact you when we need more info.  We sat down last night and picked several areas based on stats that were similar to my draw
 unit 33.  Don't know how scientific it is but sure made us feel better.
If anyone knows about units 78,80,81,74 or 43 I sure would be thankful.
Coaltroll thanks again for the info, we don't need to pack in far if just seems for us to get away from campertrailers and fourwheelers we need to get where it is nasty.  
As hunters from Missouri I would like these folks to have a good wilderness hunt.  Thanks, Bill

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks, Steertalker I will give those areas a look.  bill

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
mobiltoy,

It's been years but I've hunted 42, 43, and 33. Had our best luck in 43 but haven't hunted Colorado in 14 years so probably wouldn't be much help in where to find elk now days. If your still interested PM me and I'll dig out some of my old maps.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©