3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can you really stay scent free???  (Read 930 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
can you really stay scent free???
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
ok couple questions here. i have learned to play the wind at about all costs as it most definitly is huge. now to stay scent free and keep my clothes scent free seems virtually impossible and heres why. my favorite place to hunt is a 45 minute straight up a rocky mountain top. i tie my heavy items like sweater and jacket around my waist. no matter how easy or slow i take it by the time i get to where i want to be i am in a fourth quater sweat and i mean a good lather! i do bring scent elim spray but how much is that really going to help? i do play the wind but to hope and stay scent free to the other direction is impossible! same thing on the way down, get a drenching sweat which would make keeping my clothes in scent free bins useless. ok and ideas or help???
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: can you really stay scent free???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Nope!!!!!!!!!!

(Now ya know why I quit trying YEARS ago...)   ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Some people sweat more than others it's all about how much heat your body produces internally. Thats a body's natural thing to do to cool you off. You may be able to take a supplement that will smell more pleasant when you sweat.Thats the best I have for ya.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
You can't be scent free...even though some companies who sell products would like you to think so. What about brushing your teeth? I hunt smelling of mint because I brush my teeth. I'm sure that's not scent free. There's only so much you can do. The main thing, like you say, is be mindful of the thermals and wind. I do wash my hunting clothes and keep them in a container with fir boughs. But when you backpack in several miles you don't have the luxury of changing clothes in order to keep "camp odors" off you hunting clothes...? So, there's just so much you can do.  But if you play the wind it doesn't matter.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
No! Hunt the wind.

Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Humans will always smell like humans and what ever odors the may have come in contact with.  You might limit some of the smells or manipulate some of them but you arent getting rid of it.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
If you're breathin' you're smellin'.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
"scent free" is not achievable and not necessary best to play the wind.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
In the past I did it all.Washed clothes in the expensive sports wash,hung them out to dry,put them in a sealed bag with pine limbs,used baking soda for underarms and toothpaste,etc.

Now all I do is wash my clothes in baking soda and that's only to avoid the UV brighteners in detergent.

I see just as many deer as I did before.

Hunt the wind and enjoy yourself.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Never can stay scent free....I just try to do my best to help cut down on as much extra scent as possible and hunt with the wind.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Sweat isn't the only thing that makes you smell human. I used to hunt where it was a very short walk to my stand. I tried not to touch things with my hands on the way in but sometimes I accidentally did. More than once I had deer come to a spot where I touched a barbed wire fence with my bare hands and the deer stretched out his neck to smell the fence at the exact spot where I touched it. Both times the deer went ballistic and turned around and headed back the other way. I've had more deer smell where I've been than wind me where I'm at. I try very hard not to touch ANYTHING, including weeds and limbs, with my bare hands when going to my stands.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Ken,  I carry a big Bison gear pack and carry all my clothes in most of the time. I wear only my boots and underwear even on very cold days. I carry scent wipes and wipe down when I arrive at my stand and than zip loc bag them. I also take chlorophyll tablets and watch what I eat. Your hair and breath are very important, so spray the hair down with scent killer and chew apple gum or pine flavored. It helps a real lot and I know I cannot fool a whitetails noise but I can make him have his doubts!  :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
If you stay out of the woods they will never smell you so in essence you are scent free in some places.  :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
my scent free shower is just a shower where i dont use any soap or shampoo. my clothes i was in hot water with no detergent. i do like to use a good earth scent cover spray pretty heavily. and i only hunt twelve feet off the ground. just two nights ago i had four doe under me 1 upwind and 3 downwind they had no clue

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
How much scent your body puts out isn't the issue. From my years of raising, training and running field trial bird dogs and seeing some of the best bird finding dogs in the country I can tell you some days they can smell you and some days they can't. No matter what you put on or take off your body. Bird hunters refer to it as "The scenting conditions". On a hot dry day the best dogs in the country can stand right on top of a quail and will never smell it. The cool damp days they can smell them up to 60 yards away in ideal scenting conditions. Deer noses are the same. Just early this season I had a very nice older buck come in down wind of me and he had no idea I was there, even though I was had been sweating terribly. It was a very dry day above 90 degrees. Needless to say these are some of my favorite days to be on stand. Just the other night I had some does coming straight to me 100 yards away. The wind swirled in their direction for less than a minute and they stopped in their tracks and high tailed it out of there. It was 66 degrees. So to my point it matters little what you do on a cool day. They will smell you.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
well i guess i am pretty much doing all i can do as i seem to be in the same boat with waht everyone is doing. i know how extreme many are with their scent free ideas and was hoping to pick up some ideas but in the end looks like the majority ( me too ) say play the wind, which i do.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I wash my clothes in baking soda and dry them like normal...then toss them in a trash bag. I use scent killer spray if I have some laying around.  In my area it's not the deer I worry about winding me, it's the hogs.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Keep the wind in your face........there is no sent free.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
use other scents to detract,  drown out,  overpower whatever... your own scent.  I love coon urine!  seems to put all animals that come across it into a daze....not sure why but it works.  Spray that junk on both sides of the wind.   Might just confuse your quary long enough for you to make one count!  :saywhat:

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Can't be scant free, you just have to do the best that you can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©