3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can you really stay scent free???  (Read 932 times)

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: can you really stay scent free???
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I don't know that being scent free matters. My father in law had a deer come 10 yards from him right after he put out a cigarette. I don't think a good sized buck would go for that though. I wash my clothes in unscented detergent and shower before I go out, but that is about it. I have seen plenty of deer after I have been sweating.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
You can't 100% cover it and make yourself dissapear.My opinion.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
save your money for gas! so you can go huntin...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Not possible.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I left all my huntin' duds hanging out all day and night. Showered the next morning with no soap. Walked in the woods yesterday with no wind. Unfortunately I had to back track 20 or so yds. before I found my groundblind. A big fat doe came ambling slowly in front and to my left and would have offered me a perfect shot if she hadn't walked right to where I walked in. It was like she hit a scent wall, stopped for a split second turned and ambly went back the way she came. Must of been my boots!....Phil

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
i think as we are brought up in this modern world of deoderants,colognes,aerosals dish an laundry detergents, shampoo's and conditioners, and air fresheners, our skin , hair,clothing and homes are so saturated with these scents we have become desensitized to these smells. when we step into the woods , these smells permiate everywhere. its definately forin to any wildlife. now i have been a carpenter for yrs spent alot of time outdoors.  come home from work and can smell the outdoors on me definately a different scent. have you ever hung your clothes outside to dry from the laundry, brought them inside to fold, they smell different dont they. these are just observations i have made . maybe you might want to try something different , spend a majority of your day outdoors before you go into the woods, you will see a difference. what it all boils down to is , if a deer is gonna smell ya , they're gonna smell ya. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
I'd like to hunt where some of you do where the wind always blows in a constant direction.  
I agree here.  I am lucky if I get a constant wind just a few days during the season.  I don't think you can be totally scent free but anything you can do helps.  One thing that I have been using that helps keep your smell down when sweating is base layers with silver thread woven into them.  The silver kills bacteria that is produced by sweat.  I have used them for several years now and I really think it helps.  I use the scent eliminating sprays mainly for the inside of my hat and after the hunt I will spray down the inside of my boots and let them dry.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
well ken i sweat like its going out of fashion and the hair under ya arms holds it real good and makes ya cloths stink no matter how much stuff ya put on. so i did a little experiment i hunted one day with my sweaty arm pit hair in tact and got busted after a 30 minute stalk the next day i shaved all the hair under my arms off and worked up a good sweat and hello no smell as it has nothing to get stuck on and with the wind in ya face it just evaporates. so this is what i do to help the sent problem it works for me.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
When we hunt we are very conscious about scent. The clothes wash thing, spraying down before going to stand,spray down again at stand,etc. I know this will not eliminate scent. Only sure way to do that is to get in a bubble. But this little bit of extra stuff I do just may take me over the edge when a whitetail gets close. He may smell a little instead of alot and keep coming. Thats all I can hope for. But I still am a firm believer in hunting the wind. I have a spot with 3 seperate stands for different winds. Sometimes even all this fails. Thats why it's called hunting! Good Luck.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©