3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand Height  (Read 401 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stand Height
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
In regards to tree stands,  would you say folks using trad tackle opt for a lower stand height in general?  This thought came to me the other morning while sitting atop my ladder stand.  Its only 15 feet....which doesnt seem very high compared to my stand set ups of the past when I hunted with compound bows.  What are your thoughts on this one?  :campfire:

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand Height
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
If the area around your stand is level ground 15 ft is more than adequate. I have hunted from a stand as low as 8ft. I have hunted from the ground and had success. If the ground around you stand has elevation make certain that any funnels are not at eye level. I think that 15 ft is fine in most cases movement and noise those are your enemies and we know about the nose. Drape most anything over the stand to help break up the outline.
USMC 82-86

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
The secret I think is to use large diameter trees. I've been 16-18 ft on the sides of monsters, with no other cover and the deer have been clueless.

Chain extensions, the inability to hug the tree when putting in steps/hang the stand (man it's fun trying to get the chain around, what with the extension and weight), it's kinda scary and weird, but it seems to make a difference.

Works way better when you have a helper on large single trunk trees.

Still hunt "skinny" trees. As low as 6 ft (killed deer too) and as high as 28.

For trad stuff I like 17-20 ft. But that's just me. 20 and up with wheels.

If cover is OK, I don't think stands under 10 ft to be bad either. You gotta be super careful though. The higher you go the more you can get by with.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
In a nutshell,,, height is only relevant to the cover available!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Osagetree:
x2

Higher for less,lower for more.I like no less than 20 feet even if there is good cover.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I am always aware of shot angle based on the height of the stand.  I never want to be so high that the angle is so sharp that I would only get a single lung on broadside or quartering shot at the distance I expect to get my shots.  I consider this before I worry about cover.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
I have to aggree with Follower! people that hunt 25 & 30 feet off the ground could not get a good shot angle. If I hunt in a tree, 16 to 20 is purdy well max for me, but I still prefer the ground! Jason

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
X3  couldnt be simpler
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Follower:
I am always aware of shot angle based on the height of the stand.  I never want to be so high that the angle is so sharp that I would only get a single lung on broadside or quartering shot at the distance I expect to get my shots.  I consider this before I worry about cover.
Spot-on brother!  I like shots under 20 yds.  If I'm too high or the deer is too close, a single-lung hit becomes a higher probability... not good.  My favorite is a 15' ladder stand.  Safer to climb, good height in many instances.
Another thing to consider is bow limb clearance with steep angled shots.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I hunted from trees before treestands were invented.  After they came out I made myself a 12 ft. pull rope and attached it to the bottom of the stands I used and when it came tight I hung it.  Right now I'm usually between 10 amd 12Ft. max.  Never needed to go ay higher.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Like longbowman, I've hunted from trees when there were no tree stands. Climbed up and stood or sat on a limb.

I never was one to get too far from the ground and still don't. Bout 10 to 16' for me, according to background cover. I hunt ridges, saddles and bottoms, so getting above everything is not an option. I try to set up where I can get good shots through surrounding limbs and cover, while at the same time have good concealment.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm going to agree with these guys.  I used to be guilty of thinking higher was better when I first started to bow hunt but then I realized how steep the shot angles were and I started hunting lower in trees where possible.  Not that wheel or trad makes a difference but this was when I hunted with wheels.  

The original question was about trad hunters hunting lower in trees.  It shouldn't matter.  A bad shot angle is a bad shot angle regardless of what gear you choose to hunt with.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Two tips I use. Use every safety precaution and never outclimb your cover.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
For those that say height is only relevant to the cover available are failing to take into account the wind/thermals.  Without any breeze, your scent would still flow and drop toward the ground.  At 8'-10', your scent would be spread closer to the ground near your stand.   When situated at 15-20', the spread of scent is spread farther out.  

As others said, great heights can mean shots at poor angles or none at all with animals underneath.

For me, an ideal height is 15'... and yes, with adequate cover.
Lon Scott

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I like the 15' high range too.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I like 20 ft. but will give or take 5ft for cover.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Lots of good info and thoughts people .....thank you!  The shot angle factor is something I consider seriously...and of course cover.  The thick tree thing I love too....because I too have had great luck using that tactic!  Just wanted to get a feel for who likes what.  15 feet is a nice height.....and I practice alot at this height with my recurves  (thats all I shoot now....got rid of my last wheel bow 2 years ago) and I shoot very well and out pretty darn far!  I can just think though, that when I was using the wheel bow,  Id always try to go fairly high....often alot higher than 15 ft whenever possible.  Id even go high with the thought process of heck with cover,  what animal is going to look straight up looking for a 25  - 30 ft stand hahaha! and keeping the scent that high also.  I like been alot lower,  alot better!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
15-20 feet for me. I like hangs on stands in limby trees with lots of cover. My favorite are mature eastern red cedars. If a limby one isn't in the area I want I look for trees growing together. I just feel more secure when I have another tree beside or in front of me.

I always feel as if ladder stands are too low even though they are often 15-17' tall - I guess this is because to fit the ladder the tree needs to be pretty clean (limbless) on the stand side? I do have such stands that are deer killing spots though.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah, I would go 35+ feet with wheels.  Its a blast up there looking down on the woods.  It seems like no matter what you do you can't convince a deer to look or care about something that high.  

With compounds I pushed the limit to go as high as practical.  Now with longbows I push the limit to get as low as I can without being busted.  Still usually think of 15 feet as a minimum.  If I go less, I feel like I might as well just hunt the ground... which can work fine too!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Whatever the lower forest canopy allows, I guess I'm X4 Osagetree's answer.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©