3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The color of hunting  (Read 235 times)

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
The color of hunting
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
I have known for about the last dozen years that I'm color blind enough to not pass the card test, though red green seems to be ok. After talking to an optometrist I found out that depending on the form of color blindness some can spot camo patterns normal color vision people couldn't. When hunting, depending on light, I sometimes find myself looking more for movement to spot deer than seeing through brush. I also pay alot more attention to sounds than I used to. A relative of mine is color blind as well but his is worse seeing greys instead of blues and such but he still hunts with no apparent problem. I am wondering how others that have color blindness handle their hunting in spotting game and tracking after the shot.
Aim small miss small

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The color of hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I carry a small spray bottle of peroxide when blood trailing. Sprayed on any blood even if dry it will foam up indicating the presence of blood. Works even after a heavy dew or frost. Good Luck.
Tom

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Did you watch CSI last night onewhohasfun, that was one of there tricks also.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
I have a hearing loss in one ear from the Marine Corps and my other ear has compensated and became extremely sensitive to noise.I hear deer long before I see them.Whenever I see them I feel they make that contact with me thats like a weird sense they have. As far as blood trail the peroxide is a great tool. And knowing what terrain and cover is around your area will help give you an idea as to where they may be heading.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm not color blind but in low light conditions deer blend in so well I might as well be. Movement and sound are almost always the first thing that gives a deer away in my experience. We hunt pretty thick cover so the intent of seeing a deer before be hear it or see its actual movement is just not going to work. The only time that seems to happen is if the woods are wet and quiet and the deer seemingly appears out of nowhere.

Most of the people that I know that hunt that are color blind seem to have the most difficulty with blood trails and not the actual hunting.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
My night vision according to the optometrist is alot better than average based on color blindness and size of my pupils, so not much trouble there, unless it's real bright sunlight. I'll have to try the peroxide, I really only have trouble if the blood is faint and scattered. That's probably more a result of trying to work too fast in following the trail and just overlooking it.
Aim small miss small

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I have no color blindness. However, working up patch/powder combos for muzzeloaders in the earlly 80's without hearing protection has impacted my hearing. I'm fine with conversations, TV etc. (although turned up a couple notches more than my wife likes) but I'm not as able in the deer woods as I used to be.

Usually, when I hear a deer walking it the woods it is within 20 yards. Bummer...I need to see movement because my ears aren't my first alert anymore. I sure miss the days when I could hear a deer walking from a long way off!

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
CSI is always stealing my ideas.
Tom

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
I carry a small spray bottle of peroxide when blood trailing. Sprayed on any blood even if dry it will foam up indicating the presence of blood. Works even after a heavy dew or frost. Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip.    :)
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©