3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Versus Longbow Hunt...  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Versus Longbow Hunt...
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
Hey everybody!

First, just want to extend a huge thank you for all the support from all the Tradgang members.  I truly appreciate it and take all of it to heart.  I have leaned on some of you for your insight based on experience and have gotten some excellent feedback to use in the future.  You know who you are, and thank you.  My goal is to promote our sport or "way" of hunting in the best light possible and have as many people on the same boat as possible.  I am starting to film another hunt for Versus t.v. show "The Buck Stops Here".  I will again be hunting with my longbow.  That last show I did with them was there number one episode of all time, thanks everyone!  A great thing for us here at Trad Gang I think.  I am looking for an open discussion for any suggestions for this hunt.  Constructive Criticism is welcome, let 'er rip.  We start filming on Sunday.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks and shoot straight.

Luke Strommen

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Versus Longbow Hunt...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
I think the first episode was fantastic!  I can't offer much in the way of ideas but I always like to hear what guys are shooting. Bow weight, arrows and broadheads for example.  The only other thing that I could think that would make it better is if I was out there with ya!  :bigsmyl:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
The first one you did was their "number one episode of all time"?  Well, that wasn't just TGers making it so.  Sounds to me like people - at least the ones that watch VS - in general are interested in longbows.  That's a very good thing.

Keep up the good work!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Keep it simple!  Thanks for doin' this.  Be sure and let us know when it should air.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
A. How can I see the first episode?

B. I will be excited as long as I do not hear the words "shooter buck" or "just a doe".

C. Awesome job getting a film on TV using a longbow!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Just hunt bro`.

Get it on film, and let us see it. Be it a sweaty forehead, or hypothermic shivers. Missed shots, or a perfect hit.

Just don`t place the camera behind a downed animal, and act as if you are seeing it for the first time as you walk up.

:campfire:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Luke I have seen the first one several times, awesome footage. Do the same thing again and I will watch that one several times again as well! Maybe throw a short 1-2 minute "how-to" segment in there to breifly desribe your bow, maybe a few target shots as well?

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Luke, I really enjoyed the episode.  I think it would be extremely cool if you explained why you hunt traditionally and what it means to you.
Also would be cool to see like pearl drums said above about a short how to segment and some target shooting.
Good luck and i can't wait to see the episode
Nate
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:

B. I will be excited as long as I do not hear the words "shooter buck" or "just a doe".

I'd really like to see the episode somehow too.
Hard to find trad bow hunts on TV.
Think I have all Tred's hunts recorded.
I wish him the very best.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Zradix I have it dvr'ed. If it was possible to forward dvr recrdings I would! Nice deer, nice shot and cool footage.

Offline TRADNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Luke,
The first episode was fantastic.  Keep up the great work, it was greatly enjoyed in my household.

David

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:

Ditto for me

The only criticism I have of most trad equipment shows I've seen recently (especially Tred although I do watch his show) is the way that the hosts portray the difficulty associated with this style of hunting. I fear that the uninformed public will perceive the "I have to be closer" as an indication of the equipment's lack of efficacy. When in fact the equipment is quite capable of killing deer or anything else in N.A. at long distances. It is in fact the ARCHER'S limit on accuracy that makes the shorter distances necessary for most not the equipment. The last thing we need is the general public thinking that a longbow is an unethical weapon because it is harder to kill with it or that it leads to more wounding or unrecovered deer.

This is my only caution to you, talk up the equipment's capability and benefits, but temper it with the hunter's responsibility with ANY WEAPON to only take shots he or she knows he or she can make. Too many hosts out there saying "I have to get inside of 20yds" and then fling arrows at game at 30 or 40 yds.

My two cents.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Huge on you Luke for your efforts. Thanks. Stalking an American free range bison w/lb would be great.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Luke, your 1st show was much needed.  I'm sure the next one(hopefully more) will be at least as well.  Can't wait.

Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I watched the first one several times. Very good respite from the normal 'whack em and stack em'. I enjoyed seeing your clothing choices (I wear camo most of the time, but still wear plaids and subdued regular clothes). As mentioned, it would be nice to see a short tutorial for the great unwashed who don't know about trad equipment, and maybe some target/stump shooting so folks could see our equipment's accuracy when in the right hands. Thanks for putting a good and honest face on traditional bowhunting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Luke that was a great show and such a treat to see on the show as normally I really do not even like the show that much and actually have deleted it from my DVR but your show on there was exhilirating to see and really enjoyed it.  Hope you do many more and will definitely consider watching the show again.
For suggestions, how about more trad and less compound/Rage crap.  I always get a kick out of watching Mike Hanback on his bowhunts and seeing all those broadheads in his quiver with the blades hanging out and loose, noticed him pull an arrow before, look at it and put it back to get another, just thought it was funny!
Keep it up and good luck to you and consider doing some more on your own as well.  Thanks
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
The first one was good...just keep it real. The shooter buck nonsense and the fist pumping is not needed. I also would like to see someone shoot a doe or a spike horn.....what most of us see or get to shot at! Good for you to do this......thanks!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Zradix I have it dvr'ed. If it was possible to forward dvr recrdings I would! Nice deer, nice shot and cool footage.
Thanks for the willingness.
Wish it could be done too.
I need to look into running my dvr to the computer and using the computer to burn DVD's.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Milk River Stickman ....

If you get an airing date and time please pass it on!

Thank you

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
May not be a popular thing (no kills), but a brief show of your equipment, how you shoot it, how it is different and a little blurb on why you choose to use it might be of interest to those on the fence.

I agree with some above. .  no hooting and dancing when  / if you make a good shot.

Show some of the "other things" that we experience or see or hear, not just a deer coming in and a kill.

Good luck
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©