3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Versus Longbow Hunt...  (Read 1624 times)

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Versus Longbow Hunt...
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
You guys did really well last time Luke. That was a great episode.

If anything I'd go along with what others have said.  Find a way to introduce the capability of a traditional bow to the viewers.  A lot of people think you're at a disadvantage using a stickbow which isn't the case.

Again, loved the show last time!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Not alot to add, Luke, other than my perspective that you and your father are very good representatives for traditonal archery. It appears that you and Mike Hanback have a very good relationship and he seems to be very aware of the challenge involved with traditional gear.He better be careful hanging out with you and Tred!LOL. More shows like your first would be highly anticipated.I enjoyed it immensely. Let us know when it is going to air so we can get the word out, bro.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
For the guy's & gal's like me that haven't seen this, I did a google search for Verses and found some nice episode clips!

That was a great shot Milk River Stickman!!!

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I just watched the clip on versus.com, great shot and it looks like you already know what should be in a hunting show.

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
That is some great insight, everyone. Thanks for the thoughts, It sounds like everyone has similiar ideas and perspectives.  The suggestions for the "why" I shoot and showing my bow's efficiency and really ease of use is important...I had actually done that for the last show and a few Mossy Oak shows before that...unfortunately it has hit the cutting room floor.  I have even gone as far as to talk about the sacredness of our sport.  I will talk about my bow and what I use again as well, I hope it gets on the show.  Just in case you are wondering...I am shooting an older Robertson longbow, a Mystical at 64" and 64#, 145 grain STOS heads, and undecided on arrows even yet, have been shooting 700+ birch, like the heavy arrows but been tough on the recently
I will instruct the videographer no scenes from behind a downed deer, I hate that too.  I also hate the "shooter buck" and "just a doe" stuff as well, good point.  I do admit, I have done that past shows when I was just getting started doing them because that "is just what they did".  I have several doe tags and am not afraid to add some venison to the freezer during this hunt.
Oh-no stumps really where we are at, but lots of other stuff, roving in the hills maybe.  I would love to hunt a free-ranging bison, tough tag to get.  Also, a know a fella used to be able to get onto Versus.com and get the clips from that hunt...I am not sure how to do it.  If it can't be done, I'll burn a pile of DVD's from my copy for anyone that wants one.  I'll take care of that after next week perhaps if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for responding to this thread.  I am seriously taking notes to use in the field. Please keep them coming.

Luke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Wow...I wrote that last response before I realized there were two pages of replies..great stuff guys...and please now it is helpful and I seriously absorb everyones post for future use.  I wish I could respond to everyone individually because they are all so good...maybe after season.  

I still need to work on hitting my anchor point (only for the last 20 years)!!

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Couldn't you put the show on U-Tube for all of us to see?

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Luke. Not to over emphasize all this,but there is a growing number of us that are desiring the kind of stuff you are putting out. I remember seeing the first show you did with Mike Hanback. You and your dad were shooting with him at your ranch, I believe. I remember thinking at the time how awesome it would be if there were more shows like that. I have no idea what your relationship with Versus is but we have been waiting for traditional shows for quite some time. they need to know that. Their success with Tred is not just a fluke.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Luke can you get us the contact info for the right "ears" to hear how much we want to see more of this. We could start an email campaign and see if they will consider making it a separate series.

We are all viewers and consumers. I believe Versus mught have a few class acts there given they have been supportive of Tred given his condition. I know that made me think better of Versus.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Bob-I'll look into the u-tube thing...I don't do any of that, so I'll see what I can do and what I can put up legally...

Vesty and Chopx2- I agree and have been pushing for the same for years, I am just now getting to have some influence, so we'll see where that goes.  I'll see if I can't get a topic started on Hanback's website, he's probably the #1 hunting website blog on the net, it would be a great place to try...

I harvested two does and a buck this past week on film.  I used a lot of the thoughts that you all here at trad-gang suggested.  I think I'll be getting my own episode, all trad and no gimmicks, next fall with this one.  My camera man was struggling with the cold and other issues, so I hope there is enough quality footage to use for a show.  I had a lot of stuff as far as thoughts in there, we'll see.  I made two great shots on the does, one from a treestand, one from the ground.  I made a crappy shot on the buck, but made no excuses and owned up to it.  Rather lucky than good, and the buck didn't go 80 yards and tipped over...ham shot.  Sorry for that guys, but I think I made lemonade out of lemons that day and didn't try to hide anything like so many do on t.v..  I stressed it happens to all hunters, from guns, wheels, etc.  I shot him on the ground, no camo, kneeling, hunters orange.  I hope I don't dissappoint any of you.  I haven't gotten a bad shot on an animal for many years.  Anyway, I'll see if I can't get some pics posted soon if your interested.  

Luke

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Luke,
I also enjoyed the first episode a bunch.  Just be yourself, keep your footage "real", and enjoy what your doing.  It will be great!  I did like the request above- offer to take a couple of us guys on a hunt.... I'm willing to sacrifice some time to hunt with you!
Good luck and hope it goes well.
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Congrats Luke. I would love to see some pics. If I ever draw a bison tag down here, I will let you know you could come tag a long for sure. I can't find the old clip, so if you burn any dvd's I would love one. Thanks.
Ryan
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing this.

I would like for you to speak directly to young people specifically, in the form of an invitation to give trad hunting a try. My stepson and nephew already trad hunt, but I know they would feel good seeing that. My best wishes for the show and the filming. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Congrats Luke on this season's deer(plural)!
I thought you were very well spoken (on the last episode) and really captured the spirit of trad archery.I would be interested in a copy of that episode.
My young son and I can't wait to see the new one.

Any thoughts on making a trad DVD?
Hope you are still wearing the plaid/wool!

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
You have our full backing, Luke. Needless to say, anything you could do to bring traditional archery back into the spotlight would be greatly appreciated and, I think, greatly supported by the increasing number of traditional bowmen.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Milk River Stickman:
I made a crappy shot on the buck, but made no excuses and owned up to it.  Rather lucky than good, and the buck didn't go 80 yards and tipped over...ham shot.  

Luke
Thanks for that, I get so irritated listening to guys claim they made perfect hits just because the animal went down quick or was recovered when they clearly missed what they were aiming at often by a lot. You are right S*** happens and sometimes we get lucky.

Can't wait to see the episode
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Do you know when this hunt will be aired,Luke. I would hate to miss it.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't have cable anymore, but I just watched the clip of the first hunt on the versus website.  Great job!  Definitely more appealing that the usual hunts they put on there.  I like your comment right after the shot too.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
I'll say it now so I can say I was the first to say it.  Luke is the next shinning star in the trad world. He's great in front of the camera, well spoken and knows what he's talkin' about when he speaks,  Ya did great buddy and keep up the good work. "Long Live The Longbow"   :thumbsup:
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the positive remarks, guys.  It should air next October (2011)...I hate waiting that long.  I think you guys are right on with the kids stuff, that is our future and they need an alternative to "newest rage".  I am glad to get a nod on the shot I made, and you are right, no bones and no lies.  I have guided long enough to know less-than-perfect shots happen all to often.  As far as a DVD, I have plans for my own production company, but I wouldn't be able get the amount of content for up to possibly 5 years.  And yes, Tarponnut, still wearing the plaids!   www.classicbowman.com  is some good stuff.  I did, however, have to throw on my cold weather fleece jacket one evening...it is outfitter camo!  The wind chill was killing me!  My interview lasted over an hour (for a 20 minute show) as I tried to get everything in that was suggested...we'll see what makes it.  you guys are great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©