3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm an Idiot! Made a Rookie Mistake!  (Read 445 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm an Idiot! Made a Rookie Mistake!
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Fortunately, my mistake didn't end up with a wounded or lost animal.  The only thing wounded was my ego, which in reality wasn't a particularly bad thing.  Seems I was getting a little cocky and arrogant with my shooting at game. A little slice of humble pie went down hard but was certainly good for me.  The best I can remember, my last 11 arrows shot at game resulted in something being dead (4 turkeys, 4 deer, 1 coyote, 1 rabbit, 1 alligator).  Well that streak ended this morning. It was a perfectly beautiful morning with temps in the low 30's and a light wind in my favor. I was trying to catch a quick hunt before work and had set my departure time at 8 AM.  Well at 7:56 AM I started getting ready to leave. Took my arrow off and put it in the quiver, hung my bow up, put on my backpack and got ready to climb down. As I was reaching for my bow I looked over at the apple tree and there standing under it was a nice fat 6 pt with short times but good width. I initially decided I wasn't going to shoot but got ready anyway. Well, he posied around the tree for a minute and then started to walk off and into the field to the right. This would take him into an opening at about 12 yards.  I saw that he had a good sized body and thought those backstraps would be awfully good wrapped in bacon and grilled over an open flame. So I made a quick decision to go ahead and shoot him. Well the quick decision didn't allow me to focus like I know I should and I made the rookie mistake of just yanking back the string and letting the arrow fly. It was after all a slam dunk shot. There was no way I could miss. RRRIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTT!  I didn't so much as pick a general area to shoot at let alone a single hair.  So when you "aim big, you miss big". I didn't aim low, I didn't pick a spot, I rushed my shot, I probably didn't anchor well, and the result was pretty predicatable. I trimmed a few hairs right off his back. As Homer Simpson, my compadre in mental apptitude would say, "doh"! My TimberHawk Falcon T/D was whisper quiet and the silly buck just hopped about 3 yards and stopped. I had a wonderful shot, but that little buck earned the right to live and taught me a good lesson in humility and focus. Never take any shot for granted and always respect what you are shooting at and give it your full focused effort.

I wish I could say I won't make the mistake again, but I sure as heck will remember my slice of humble pie this morning. The old axiom of "aim small, miss small" holds some pretty heavy weight this morning.  Well, I better go. I have some pie stuck in my throat and need to get some water to wash it down.

Tonight should be good....

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm an Idiot! Made a Rookie Mistake!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Move over Marty! I never miss at 12 yards...8, yes, but never 12!!!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Indy,it is great that you turned a miss in a lesson of living,this is a great success.Congrats.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Wow.  I could do that.  That is a good reminder for many of us.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Sorry dude, no more humble left for you I think I ate it all...lol
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Hey Terry, you know what you did wrong. No wounded deer, no harm no foul. I did that with the first two trad shots I took at deer(same buck). Lol. If I was here I would have jumped on him for ya!
There is always next time. And aim small miss small.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Terry, but you surely have it in the right perspective.  I know you well enough to be pretty confident that the next animal won't be quite so lucky, and it will be backstraps wrapped in bacon instead of humble pie!

Good luck......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Terry I been there, done that. I feel your pain. I think sometimes we need to do things like that to keep us focused.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Nice reminder.  I hope I can keep it in mind if I get an opportunity this season.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Did the same thing Wed morning on a hen turkey.  She got spooked at my decoy and I rushed the shot and shot high and just missed her neck at 13 yds from the ground.  Never picked a spot.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
That is why lower stands heights are a good thing, ego less bruised when it hits the deck  ;)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
We are humans, not machines.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I wish when I said, "I'll never do that again" I wasn't lying to myself!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I did that with the 'boar of a lifetime' last year.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Indeed a good lesson and not only for you! Thank you for shairing!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Did you follow me out last night? That story sounds awfully familiar to me?????? I did the same to a fat doe last night. I didnt even come close to giving her a hair cut either, I was a foot over her back. I did all I needed to do minus picking a specific spot. Good anchor, good bow arm, good back tension and follow thru though!

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Terry,

This weekend, in red magic marker, on the belly of my bow, in plain sight above the arrow rest, I wrote "Pick A Spot"

I've made that mistake one too many times.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Been there done that
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Hey Terry, I feel for you!!  I had that doe skinned and quartered even before I let my arrow fly.  Funny how these things happen!  Betcha wont miss the next one.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Been there, done that as well... 7 times this last archery only season.  Any one of those arrows should have connected, if I would have just focused on a small spot.

Can I sit on the bench to?
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©