3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Opinions on new bow  (Read 684 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Opinions on new bow
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Widow. It will shoot great and hold its value should you ever decide to re-sale.
John

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Black Swan longbow. I don't think Vermonster would argue that choice!  :saywhat:

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I have a 56" one piece Pronghorn that weighs 15 ozs. Fast and quiet. Great shooting bow.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Big Jim Thunder Child - it is exactly what you a looking for in a Longbow.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline sstewa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
1 piece Black Swan Hybrid - 62" but is smooth, fast and light in the hand.
Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead...when your longbow with a blunt will work!

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Check out Jim Jones Firefly longbows.
I have several and is highly satisfied.

If you like take also a loot at Border Archery`s Hawk Hunter Longbow, extremely fast. I`ve just ordered one of these in 63@31 with buffalo horn finger-grooves   :thumbsup:  

Both bowyers have good services and the longbows mentioned is really good shooters and looks nice to   :archer:  

best of luck at your quest for a new bow.

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Be sure to check out  www.stikbowsbydondow.com

Don makes a great bow and for $1,000 you can buy three of his bows and still have money left over.  Best shooting bow for the price in my opinion.  Don't let the price fool ya.  I've shot a lot of bows and usually believe you get what you pay for, but Don is the exception.  And his turn around time is FAST!  Two weeks and he had mine to me.

-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
I would give Ron King a call at Fox. Maybe not as short as you mentioned but my High Sierra shoots very well. 45#@28" 60"

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
For me it was a Centaur. Sold all my other bows. For you it may be diffrent,but I would try before I buy. Nice 56in Centaur on his web page now.
Out Door Dan

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by batty110:
I'm looking for my second recurve or longbow.  I want it to be a performer in speed and noise level, but also the lighter the better.  I'd also like it to be 56" or less tip to tip, but that's not set in stone.    

The bows I've seen so far that look appealing are Black widow's PSR Short Recurves, Black Swan's hybrid and longbow (I know they're long, but they're beautiful), and the Striker Xtreme longbow.  I'm open to other manufacturers, but don't want to spend over $1000.  

Google Beaver Creek longbows and see what you think.

Also, I currently shoot a LH Hoyt GameMaster I that draws 50# at my 29" DL.
Thank you for the help!
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Google Beaver Creek longbows and see what you think.

Too early in the morning on that last post.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
If you buy a XXX for sure it will outshoot YYY.
One houndred hunters one houndred bows.
In reality most modern box are really great and well done.Take your time,try as many as possible.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline batty110

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I really have to find somewhere that I can get out and shoot some of these bows, or somehow to track down owners that would consider letting me try theirs out.  I like all the bows so far, and am very curious about the Stik Bows by Don Dow since they're very inexpensive and still look very nice.  Otherwise I keep coming back to BW, Black Swan, and Lost Creek.  I have also found Fedora bows which seems to have quite a following.  Are they really as quiet and nice to shoot as they're made out to be?  They also leave a lot of extra cash to dress it p and get some snazzy extras for it  :)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Fedora makes a really good bow and has a try and buy program that will answer a lot of your questions...............nothing like spending a few days with that candidate to find out whatca' like.

Schafer is also first class and usually will have a bow for you to try.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
I love the blackwidow bows but if noise is a factor for you they are far from the quietist bows made.  for a 56" bow or shorter I would say you realy need to look more into the St. Joe River bows.  I have a 29.5" draw and have shot there 54" and 56" bows with no problem and both very quiet and stable to shoot even at my long draw!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Batty:  There is another thread running on here about a new Cascade Bow.  You should read it, nice pics, and alot of positive response for the bow. And you can't beat the price.  R.W.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I can't believe noone has suggested Shrew bows.  They have a few different models, are light weight, quiet, fast and good lookin'.

Personally I don't think you oughtta buy a new one untill you really know just what you want.  Try 'em all.  What someone else likes or hates has nothing to do with your feelings.

Good luck on your journey........  :archer2:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Kanati! You'll want it 58" though. There is ZERO hand shock, they are FAST and quiet, and since they are cut to center, they are not picky about spine. Also, they will sling heavy arrows with authority. I shoot 500+ grains from my 46# Kanati, and it loves them.

On the recurve side, you might want to look at a 56" Orion by Dryad Bows. I love my Orion longbow and have a set of 56" recurve limbs ordered.

Either of those bows can be had for well under $1000. In fact, you could have an Orion with BOTH longbow and recurve limbs for under $1000!

Both Mike Westvang (Dryad) and Jason Kendall (Kanati) are sponsors here, so you can go up top and pull down to see their websites. Both are great to deal with as well.     :thumbsup:    You are only about two and a half hours away from Jason, so you could pick your bow up and visit with Jason. That's what I do!

If you want to shoot a Kanati and an Orion, come on down. I'm just 9 miles off of I35!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

I think you would be real happy with a widow.
Here's mine in kingwood
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline batty110

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by joekeith:
I can't believe noone has suggested Shrew bows.  They have a few different models, are light weight, quiet, fast and good lookin'.

Personally I don't think you oughtta buy a new one untill you really know just what you want.  Try 'em all.  What someone else likes or hates has nothing to do with your feelings.

Good luck on your journey........    :archer2:  
Are shrew's good with longer DL's?  Also, I'd love to try out a bunch of bows, but there really aren't many traditional archers around here that I know of much less left handed ones.  We have a very nice archery range not far from here, but besides my best friend and myself, we've only seen 2 recurves there, and not a single longbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©