3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: would a deer be safe to eat?  (Read 824 times)

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
would a deer be safe to eat?
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
If you shot a deer and found it dead the next morning laying out in a pond would it be safe to eat or would the water cause problems?
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: would a deer be safe to eat?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
I would eat that.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I would think it depends on temp and if water got into the body cavity and how clean that body of water is.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by chopx2:
I would think it depends on temp and if water got into the body cavity and how clean that body of water is.
I agree as to what the water quality is and temp
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I would think it will be fine, I would eat it! The water should have cooled it down nice and fast too!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I've heard of deer dying in cold streams and the meat being good several days later.  If the meat smells good and is not iridescent, it's good.  You could always try a bit, cook it up, and sample.  If all else fails remember Lewis and Clark would just scrape off the green until they got to some red flesh...okay that's a bit too far.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
x2 for temp and water quality.  Mainly temp.  The water is unlikely to do much to the meat, but if it hasn't been cool to cold there could be spoilage going on.  Around here in Arkansas, it's rare to have days this early when you could leave it overnight without something funky happening.  Later in the season, sure. Up there in Illinois, you might be alright.  Dunno how cool it is up there.
Silence is golden.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I would eat it-unless the pond belonged to PG&E or that aluminum company in Hungary   :bigsmyl:

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Process it and try it...what have you got to loose?  A little time.  Man I love venison.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Hams, at least, should be good. Shoulders good. Backstrap good. Rib and tenderloin... smell it and see.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I think you should drink the water first and see what happens...   :goldtooth:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Air temp was around 60 and got down near 40. However the water temp was probably still 60ish. Very shallow muddy pond. I guess my concern was about water getting inside the body cavity and breeding bacteria. I had read somewhere that that accelerates spoilage that plus the water temp was pretty warm.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I may have to pass on eatting it . A few years back I shot a deer in Sept.( still warm here in N.C. in sept. ) that I did not find untill the next day in the river . My buddys told m that the meat would be ok even though I thought things didnt smell or look just right . I wound up getting sick and some of my family got sick so I just cant take that chance again .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
The water has nothing to do with the condition of the meat.  Two most important things are  time since death, NOT since poorly shot and temp of enviroment.  The skin of the deer is a natural insulator so it is some what irrelavent what the water temp is.  The conditon of the meat is more caused by the time since death.  If you shot a poor shot and had to wait past the normal 30 minutes to go after it, you probably shot it close to dark.  Depending on the shot placement of course, it has been my experience that it really does take a gut shot deer 4 hours + to die from a gut shot.  Back in my early years  I would find them still barely alive at sun up the next morning.  I think in general it is safe to assume a liver shot deer lived at least 2 hours after being hit.  So say you shot the deer at 5 PM in the late season, the deer will probably not die until 7 or 8 PM.  You don't sleep for beans and get up and go after it about 7 the next morning when the sun is up enough so you can see.  This is only 12 hours since death and in the late season shoudln't be a problem.   If it is early season, you would shoot it about 8 PM and the deer would die about 10 PM.  Sun up the next day is around 6 AM so it is about 8 hours.  Even though it is warmer out the time is less.  If it is warm the water is cooler and if it is cold the water is warmer.  The natural insualtion of the skin and hair maintains a rather cosntant body temp so I think most all of the time the meat would be good to eat.

Most important is to get the animal opened up and cooled down as best you can.  

I think alot of guys use the "spoiled meat" thing as an excuse to not go look for the animal and thus not have to admitt that they shot a poor shot.

Just my 2 pennys worth, two old tarnished pennys with 40 some years of experience.

Kip

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
My dad the butcher would tell you to smell it, if it stinks dont eat it, if it smells fine eat it. That always works for me with any kind of meat..........so far.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
As in humans,the moment the heart stops bacteria in the blood starts the decomposition process. So its decomposing and bacteria is breading already. So it's a crap shoot. When in doubt, its fertilizer. cheaper than getten sick. JMHO
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Elk River Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
"[dntthnk]"  I think you should. Inspect it as you butcher it for smell and looks of the cuts of meat. If you're still unsure use it to feed your dogs or dispose of it.
Wayne

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Eat it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
i would eat it. Your gonna freeze alot of it and cook it too. Im sure its fine. The guts may stink a bit just dont let that scare you. make sure your giving good clean meat the sniff test and not basing your opinion on the smell of the paunch, ESPECIALLY IF ITS PUNCTURED.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Wacknstack.....  what did you do....

Its been warm here but you know that.  If you got to it the next morning I would say eat it.  I would have to bet the gutting operation would have been fun.

Come by my place and we can shoot a doe and leave her in the pond by the house and check.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©