3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homestead Hen. Story,Pictures and a link to the video,do you prefer a video or story?  (Read 524 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
It has been very busy around here since Tracy and I returned from our MN bear and deer hunt.Finally last Sunday evening I decided that I had had enough.We have not been out hunting since our Sept. trip, and I knew just were to find some relief.
You see, the turkey population on the family farm  has really been growing.It was all I could do to leave them alone this spring.This particular flock only has a few toms in it,but it has between 15-20 hens.Most of this springs hatch was hens.My plan was to try to put my only fall turkey tag on one of the nice hens in the flock.That way,come spring there would be just as many toms to take care of all of those girls.     :thumbsup:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been keeping a close eye on their progress all summer.You know, for just such an occasion.The turkeys main roosting grounds is along the creek that runs through two bottoms in the pastures.On one side of the bottoms there is 2 large soybean fields.On the creek side of the bottoms is a steep bluff with several large trees for roosting.Above the bluff is more pasture bordered by 2 hay fields.It is no wonder the turkeys like this area so much.As a mater of fact I'm pretty fond if it myself.
Anyway back to Sunday evening.I decided to slip along the edge of the soybean field so I could look down on the bottoms, and see the roost trees also.Just like clockwork at about 7:00pm the flock started to fly up from the bluff along the creek.They were spread all along the creek.Which was very handy,because my plan was to bust them up after they had all flown up.Once I got in among them,about 6 of the flock started to bail out of the trees and got split off from the rest of the flock.That set me up pretty good for the next mornings hunt.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
I knew since this was sorta a last minute hunt my blind,decoys,calls,video camera and everything else "necessary" for a turkey hunt was all over the place in the shop,garage,and spare bedroom.So, after putting the birds to bed I got some of my equipment rounded up,and made plans to be in  the back bottom long before daylight.
As day light began to show me the trees around my set up I could hear several of the turkeys in the flock calling to their lost members.I just happened to be right in between the misplaced girls and the rest of the flock.
It only took a few calls and 2 of the misplaced hens were on their way.The first hen came walking up to my decoy like they were old friends.Just about the time she thought she would have a good morning chat with my decoy I slipped a terminator broadhead through her vitals.I was shooting my deer hunting set up,(58"52#@28" SXT  with carbon and foam Evolution recurve limbs and a 640 grain arrow)so penetration was not an issue.The arrow blew through her and went skipping across the ground behind the hen.
Recovering the bird was short and sweet.The hen was down in seconds,and only traveled about 15 yards.The other birds never had a clue what happened as they went off to join the other birds in the pasture above the bluff.
In a few short minutes of my first fall turkey hunt on the farm,I managed to get a nice hen.Tracy and I enjoyed some of the breast meat last night for supper.
I hope you enjoyed the short story.OH, Did I forget to mention I GOT IT ON VIDEO?

Here is the link to the video.
  web page  
Just click on Homestead Hen.
Bill

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
O.K. I can't get the link to work.I will see if I can get Tracy to fix the link and post some pictures for me.For the time being you can go to our website and click on Hunting Videos at the bottom of the main page then click on Homestead hen.
Bill

The link works now!

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome job Bill!!!!! Congrats!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Well done Bill!

:clapper:    :clapper:
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Envy has me throated! Thanks for your good story & nice turkey.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome Bill!!!!!!!

Got that DVD you sent me also!!!! Great job!!!! Its one of my favorites. Thats what we need to see on tv!!!!

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bill,

Nice Turkey,thanks for the story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Now that's cool!  Congrats    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
I just watched the video, and man Bill you and tracy are making some great Videos!

My little one watched it with me and kept saying thats the dude from Cloverdale over and over! I think your a star in his eyes now!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well done   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice work Bill!

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good job Bill  :thumbsup:  Congrats
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice shot!!  Great video. Congrats!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Bill!  Im curious...what kind of camera are you using?

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great video!  Pretty soon we are going to be see zipper videos competing on the racks at Cabelas and Bass Pro!  Congrats.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys!Now I have to get Tracy on this flock.You know honey do list.  :bigsmyl:  At least she has not noticed the gutters need cleaning.

Jon I have a Sony FX7.It has been a great camera that is very easy to use.If I was going to buy another camera it would probably be the Sony FX1000.It is real similar the the FX7 but it has better low light capabilities.

Andrew keep your peepers pealed we are working on a DVD.   :thumbsup:  

The dude from Cloverdale (Thats great)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©