3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Arkansas with Buckster  (Read 369 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Arkansas with Buckster
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Got in touch with Buckster and set up a time to meet at one of our fine wmas for a hunt.

Had to use the boat to get to the hunting grounds but that's the way I like it.

I always wondered if the ghillie I made myself actually worked or not so I took a photo to see for myself. I guess it works pretty good. While sitting down I had a bird land on my arrow.

Here comes Buckster and he looks like he has a story to tell.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Arkansas with Buckster
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Where did y'all end up going, Pac? Dagmar?
Romans 8:28

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Pac,looks like another great adventure.  You sure have a way of finding places to use your boat.  Good looking woods you're in and the ghillie looks great.  Water sure looks pretty low for this time of year.  Hopefully we'll get some rain soon before duck season gets here.  Keep in touch.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Went to Hurricane.

Where you at Buckster?  The story needs to be told.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Theres not enough water up here to float my boat...
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Buckster said he was running a marathon today.  Guess he hasn't finished the race yet.  Running a marathon just for fun?  More power to you buckster.
USAF Retired '85-'05

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I'll post the photos and Buckster can fill in the story after he finishes the marathon.

USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Looks like you smoked her Barry! Now where's the story??

:clapper:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Good job Buckster!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Finished up business in Memphis and headed out on the afternoon of the 20th to meet up with my new hunting partner... PAC.

What a terrific host, here's what he had CAUGHT for our supper when I arrived.  Pac caught a limit of White River largemouth's in just over an hour, on his special home-made fishing lures.

We made up a mess of fish tacos that ate where you put it and tasted like more! We discussed our game plan a bit, and felt a bit uneasy about the huge shadows our bodies cast under the FULL MOON! No need for using the flash lights around camp.   :campfire:  

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
good job barry....nice lookin taco's there.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Great hunt Barry!  Congrats on some fine eating!  Is there anything better than fresh caught fish and wild venison?  I don't think so!  Steve

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by S C Mercer:
Great hunt Barry!  Congrats on some fine eating!  Is there anything better than fresh caught fish and wild venison?  I don't think so!  Steve [/QUOT

Had a pretty good feed of fresh caught fish and ranch raised bison one time.

My buddy and I were teaching his 6 year old how to eat like a man, with your fingers, and expressing your satisfaction with various grunting noises. We were just barely cooking the bison on an open fire in the back yard and we had blood dripping down our chins. Then his mother came home and found us. Women just have no sense of humor when it comes to serious male bonding.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
After scouting a few areas, we eventually came back to an area that Pac had scouted earlier.  It was a pennisula and a nice pinch point where the creek bordered the Western side.  The first afternoon's hunt brougt some excitment, as a nice 6-pointer can prancing in right under my stand within 5-7 yards.  

Unfortunately, this WMA utlizes a slot rule and 6's are protected!  GO FIGURE!  :dunno:

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
We got up early on the 21st, PAC MAN had whipped up a nice breakfast of Smoked Sausage, eggs & toast.  A great way to start our day!

We loaded up the boat for the short trip to the pennisula.  Just before 9:00 I heard the tell-tell sign of deer holves coming through the woods.

I carefully grabbed my recurve from it's hanging limb and begin the process of trying to contemplate the shot sequence as 2 does and a yearling eased closer.  The lead doe was real nice, she stopped mid-way as she stepped over a huge fallen tree; she  seemed to look straight up at me 20' feet up my tree. I thought... on no busted again.

But shortly thereafter, she continued down the trail.  She paused into a spot that was maybe 15 yards or so away, and by that time I was at full draw and my arrow was on it's way.  A very clean pass-through, the shot entered the lungs coming in and just grazed the heart coming out.  She only went about 20 yards before giving it up for good.

I must admit that I always get sad when I take any animal, but at the same time greatful for the Good Lord allowing me to take this nice deer.  Even though it was just a doe, I am proud of her, as with any deer I am fortunate to harvest with a Trad bow.  Pac and I estimated her weight to be at least 120 pounds.

After sharing a portion with my hunting buddy, I spent several hours butchering the deer meat yesterday and will be preparing about 15 lbs. of jerky in my dehydrator for my daughter Jennifer, she loves the stuff.

Here are a couple of hero shots; sorry about the shirtless one, but it was pretty warm and I when I pulled her out I was pretty drenched (typical of our bowhunting seasons here in Arkansas).

I used a Morrison 15" Metal ILF riser with DAS Daala limbs.  56" 53@28", a carbon express 150 and a Zwicky NO MERCY head.

I want to express my gratitute once again to Duane for setting up this hunt, pre-scouting our stand locations, and for the great food & hospitality.      :notworthy:            :notworthy:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Got the camper restocked and ready to head out again on Monday.  Going to try another piece of public land.  Arkansas has so much public land to offer and I want to see as much of it as I can.

Buckster is going on the trip with me and that's good.  He is a deer magnet.  He saw deer from his stand every hunt and the only ones I saw were the ones I scared as I was walking through the woods to my stand.  I think I'm going to rig up one of those papoose things so he can carry me and I can shoot the deer that sneek in behind his six.     :cool:    Just trying to be a good wingman.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Pac... I hear ya! The Buckster brings good luck. I found that out first hand in Colorado!

Great hunt...

Good luck.
Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Getting me excited! im supposed to hook up with Pac in december! cant wait!!!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline LHA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Congratulations Barry on a fine deer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©