3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow advice  (Read 213 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow advice
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I've never shot a wood arrow & I've had the itch to try'em.
I was looking at the 3R pre finished shafts. With carbon or aluminum I buy the right weight shafts then start shooting them full length and shorten them until I get perfect flight. Is that how it is done with wood shafts? I have always avoided them because I like the convienence of the inserts & screw in tips that you get with carbon or aluminum. Just wondering how some of you folks go about fine tuning wood arrows.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Same way; cut if too soft or go to lighter point. If too stiff go to a heavier point. A test pack is a good starting point.

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Don, you first start with bow type, poundage, draw length,(and more)..I guess you know that.. then some one can reccomend a spine wieght and length, and grain wieght..now that would be a starting point..it would be best to have some one bring an assortment of test arrows in various spine and length for you to shoot.. but that is mostly unlikely, unless you have a decent fletcher near by.. soooo it is trial and error..and as said a test kit is a good option.. you can get into bare shafting..and paper testing to see proper flight..(I have early in my trad journey)but it is something I found to be a process that YOU will need to go through yourself and make changes as you change to different bows..I would take the reccomendation of a fletcher and start shooting..Oh and you can get adapters for your screw in points and broadheads..GOOD LUCK!!  (was that a long story?)

Shawn...    :banghead:
Give 'em the bird!

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
thanks guys!
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Check out the possiblity of buying a test kit.

Fletcher here made me one up in various spines that worked out well.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Woods are natural beautys limited only by your imagination & worth the extra time to us shooters. Never had tuning probs not quickly fixed w/brace or nock adjustment. Get spined, whack 'em an inch or so over, mount points (BH's & practice & judo), bare shaft, adjust, fletch & confirm, hunt.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Remember keep the eyes up and test shoot every arrow.  You can start out with parallels, but tapered cedars, so long as they are not under spined, are a very forgiving and accurate shaft.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
When you buy a wood arrow shaft at a specific spine weight(50#-55#, etc), that value is for the finished arrow cut to 28" with a 125gr point. For each inch over 28" you can subtract 5# of spine weight. For heads heavier than 125 gr you can reduce the spine also but I'm not sure of that value. The opposite is true for arrows cut under 28" and/or with less than 125gr points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©