3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When it gets cold ?  (Read 237 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
When it gets cold ?
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
What is the preparation you use, to take your bow out into the cold morning weather. Do you string it first ?, Do you let it acclimate to the cold first, Do you leave it strung or unstrung in the car over night ? Does it matter ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When it gets cold ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
What everbow I am shooting I leave strung up all the time.  Even my self bows are left strung up over night if i am going hunting the next day.  However if I am not going to use my self bow for 2 days I unstring it.  I base these habits on chrongraph readings.  A shooting  Chrony takes a lot of the BS out of the Bull.

Kip

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I never unstring my bows. If you leave your bow unstrung for storage, the bowstring may "shrink" a little and that means your brace height will change. As long as my bows are strung, the brace height never changes.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
The bows I'm shooting at least weekly, remain strung. I do leave my hunting bow in my truck (when it isn't hot).If I'm going to practice a bit I'll leave the hunting bow hung on a rubberized hook on my deck. I do this more for convenience than any other reason.

When I arrive on stand I always go through a 60 second process of warming up my muscles and the bow. I quarter draw, half-draw and then I full-draw. I do each of these 2-3 times before drawing further.  Just to make sure everything is loose.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
The night before I hunt I'll assemble which bow I plan to take "if it's a T/D" & string it up.
I'll also shoot it in my basement for about 20 shots minimum to get the brace height back to where she's supposed to be at & to have a little practice that night.

Once I'm at my parking spot I'll draw her a dew times before I begin to walk into the woods to work my muscles a little.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Like others have said, the bow I'm shooting stays strung all the time.  I only unstring them when I'm changing strings or changes silencers or I decide to change bows.

Offline sstewa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I string my bow when I get to my hunting area and go through the warm up thing.  I leave it strung until I'm headed home, that evening or several days later.
Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead...when your longbow with a blunt will work!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
During bow season, my bow is either hanging in the garage next to my car, or in my car ready to go. When I get to my spot I take a few draws.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
My longbow stays strung year round. I shoot just about every day. I figure that's better than stringing and unstringing.
bolong

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Sorry, didn't answer your question. I always bring mine in the house at night, only because some one might steal my truck but not my bow.
bolong

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I carefully place my bow on a bed in a bedroom that we never use.I lay some arrows beside it.Also lay my armguard and glove next to it.Why do I do this?.cause I shoot my bow everyday..sometimes more than once a day...so I know it gets tired.
Besides my bows are mebers of the family..  :biglaugh:

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
All good answers, the reason I asked is because I was told by an archer, who has been at this far longer than I, that it should be left in the relaxed position when not being use for a a couple of days.

I know that hot weather and  and being put inside a a car don't do well for a bow. So I was wondering if the cold of winter effected them also. Example, your house is warm and you go out into very cold weather, any effect ?

mambashooter, you finally came up with one that I can laugh at.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©