3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tabs in Cold Weather  (Read 176 times)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
Tabs in Cold Weather
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
How do you use them in cold weather. Can you wear them comfortably with a glove under them?

Thanks Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tabs in Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I wear mine as normal - on the bare fingers.  Then put on the glove or mitten.  When you are ready to shoot, just slide the glove off and you're ready to go.  I'd never try to put a tab over the glove.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
No, I can't.  I shoot with a camo glove, gloves all the time - think cotton.  I've cut the three fingers off my right glove.  When it gets colder I get a thicker glove with some insulation in it and cut the fingers.  There's a dark brown work glove with the inside color as red.  Don't know the brand name, but any hardware or farm and fleet will have them.  I put the cotton camo over it.  Not for camo, for another layer.

For really cold weather I bought a fleece mit/glove from Cabelas.  The mit part sticks back to the wrist with a magnet, which exposes the fingers (when fishing we called them miller mits).  On the glove part there's material that goes down to you knuckle.  On the right hand I've cut of the inch of material so that the whole finger is expose for the tab.  In the mit part of the right hand I put a hand warmer.  Even if your fingers are expose for a long time the warmer is against the back of your hand and helps keep the fingers warm.  Usually has to be below 0 for me to use the mits.  Cotton works for me up to there, because I can keep my hands in a warm pocket.

I guess I should mention that I keep the mit part with the hand warmer on the fingers until time to shoot.  Don't get the Velcro kind.  Velcro does not belong in the hunting woods - what was Sitka thinking?

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I never wear anything heavier than a thin wool glove (like the military surplus liner gloves) and cut the middle finger off. When it's cold I just load up my pocket with hand warmers and protect those bow fingers!
David M. Conroy

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I cut the three fingers off all my right hand gloves. When it gets cold I have found that if I wear a light or mid weight glove liner I can shoot just fine. I keep my right hand warm by keeping it in a pocket and when deer activity starts to happen the glove liner keeps my shooting fingers warm enough that I don't worry too much about them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I cut the 3 fingers off of my right hand glove & slip the tab over my exposed finger as normal.

When it's cold enough I'll wear one of those hand mitts that fit around your waist for while I wait for the action to start.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
For years I've shot with a light jersey or polar fleece glove under my home-made leather tabs...even during the summer.  During late fall/winter I add a second pair of gloves and use a home-made tab with a slightly larger hole to accomodate the double glove thickness (duh).  This way there is no change in "feel" regardless of the weather, my hands stay warm when it's cold, and the gloves offer 'camo' to my hands as I raise the bow to shoot.  

I'd never go back to 'gloveless' shooting with my tabs.  The gloves/tab combo simply work too well.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I use either the hand warmer muff when it's bitter cold or the mittens that the finger portion folds back.

I have real big hands and both of these work great for Me.

bretto

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Another mitt user when it's real cold. I use wool fingerless until then.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©