3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Broadhead Choices/ Need advice  (Read 288 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Broadhead Choices/ Need advice
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
After healing up I think I may be ready to hunt with my longbow.  I had to drop in weight, so I'm on the bubble about what to shoot. I know shot placement is paramount, no doubt...

I've decided upon two broadheads

One is the Woodsman
The other is Magnus Buzzcut 2 blade.

My set up will be a Griffen Longbow, 45 lbs. @ 28' and I pull 29', so 48 lbs of pull.  470 gr. EastonAxis shaft.  

I guess my reason for the buzzcut option is penetration. Didn't know if I had enough gas to do it with a 3 blade woodsman...  

Any advice, I'd certainly welcome...

Shooting Whitetail/ Hogs/ any other critters that roam close by...  HOgs would be the toughest around here...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Broadhead Choices/ Need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
If your hunting from the ground I dont think it will matter to much, you would be good with either.  If your up in a tree it would be the buzzcut for me but Im a fan of 2 blade heads in general.  Although I have both in my quiver and have no problum shooting either but im shooting a heavier bow and arrows thou.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
If they both fly good , for me it would be which ever one you can get sharper.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm shooting a 44# at 28"  48# at my 29 3/4" draw. I started using 150 gr. WW last year and have killed 3 deer and a hog with them so far. Complete passthroughs on 2 of the deer, good bloodtrails. Spine shot on deer last week. Didn't get an exit hole on the hog but enough blood to find it. I really like them. Either choice should be fine with good shot placement and shaving sharp.
bolong

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
How are the blood trails with the buzz cuts???

Anyone have any experience with them?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
magnus stinger four blade or buzz,, I really like the classic design and their strength is great
TGMM

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I would use the woodsman for deer and the 2 blade for hogs.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Do woodsmans leave more blood on the ground? Never shot anything with one before....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
There was a thread 2 weeks ago..........2 blade vs 3 blade. Seems to me the results were inconclusive. Shot placement was trump.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Always!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Pastor Steve,

I have used the WW with good succcess, but have switched to the Del-Ma MA-II two blade for sharpening ease. My wife shoots the Magnus Stingers (both with and without the bleeders) and has done very well with them.

Her set-up is close to yours. She shoots the Stingers w/o the bleeders for deer and hogs, w/ the bleeders for turkeys.

Either head will work fine. Only advice I would give is to think about increasing the weight of the arrow. Slow and heavy is good, slow and light not so good.

Shoot straight, hit 'em in the sweet spot and enjoy the hunt.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
Thanks Keith.. I hate hearing I'm only pulling as much as your wife though! ahhahahah

Seriously, what is considered heavy?  475 gr... Is that heavy enough?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Close to 10gr/# of bow look fine to me and espacialy if you keep your shots at close range and that you are confident at good shots!! I think inside 15 yards they wouldn't be any problems!
Just my $0.02

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
I'm shooting 54# and had a situation similar to yours. I healed from an injury and decided I was ready to hunt. My choice was between Zwickey 4 blade Black Diamonds or Woodsmans. I went with the Woodsman because they fit my 100gr adaptors and I wanted more arrow weight. I'm shooting carbons at 525gr total weight. Last year, I had a passthrough on a small deer and a gory blood trail with a Woodsman. It should work well at 48# @ 29" but I would change the needle point to a slightly shorter pyramid point using a file.

Joe

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
Pastor Steve,

I like a heavy arrow. Just a personal choice. I think Lisa (my wife) is shooting about 12 grains of arrow weight to pound of bow weight. Her arrows are in the 550 grain region. That's finished arrow with point, fletch and nock.

Her draw weight is shorter than yours is though. She shoots a 26" arrow, so she is actually pulling less than 45lbs.

I shoot an arrow that is in the 600-625 grain weight. Not a real heavy weight by some standards. I have some finished wood arrows made with ash shafts that came out about 775 or 800 grains. Now, those are heavy weights.

I figure you are using either 125 or 150 grain heads. 345 grains just seems kinda light for an arrow shaft. If your shaft is 470 before you mount a broadhead, your looking at 600 to 625 grains. That would be good for me.

As long as you make a good shot, at a reasonable distance, you're in good shape.

I give Lisa a hard time about shooting "lawn darts" out of her bow. They look tiny next to my 32" shafts (plus heads and nocks, they are more like 36"), but they still work just fine. Her arrow blew all they way through this turkey stem to stern and protruded from the front about four inches.

Good luck with your hunting!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©