3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How high do you hunt? treestand advice?  (Read 535 times)

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How high do you hunt? treestand advice?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
15 will work, but at 20 I think you get away with a lot more.

I try to set most of mine around 20 feet.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
In my area I like 18 to 22 feet if you get that high you are out of there perefeal vision but you do not have to be that high to be succesfull. Widow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I just hung another stand in a ...yep, Cedar yesterday afternoon. The tree has lots of cover (open ground cedars are very limby). It is adjacent to a large double stemmed oak. I have a 15-yard shot to the inside of a mature oak woodlot and lots of shots all around in the open ground around the tree.  This tree's main bole leans which isn't good for the el cheapo brand of hang-ons I use. But at about 16-17 feet the main bole goes straight up. There's a nice "cradle" of limbs where the bole goes straight (I suspect somedamage to the terminal stem many years ago). I put my stand in this cradle. When standing my eye will be 21-22 feet high but the terrain rises in the direction I expect to shoot making the stand more like 14-15 feet. I'll probably hunt this stand in the morning for the first time. I used 2 sections of ladder rail to get me to the limbs of this tree. I removed the lower rail and hid it in brush as this tree is in a field that some kids like to ride an ATV around once or twice a month.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©