3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could use some help, arrows for the wife?  (Read 219 times)

Offline RusD

• Trad Bowhunter
Could use some help, arrows for the wife?
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
First let me tell you this site is amazing. I came across Trad Gang a few weeks ago and have read until my eyes hurt ever since.  Reading other's questions and advice has been a huge help as my wife and I are starting our endeavor into the trad world.  We both are awaiting the arrival of our bows, and I cannot figure out what arrows we should get for her to start with.  I have experimented with Stu Miller's calculator for quite a while.  I figured we would start with aluminum.  She is drawing 30 @ 25" on a 66" longbow which I believe to be 1/8" off center.  The best I can guess is to get some 1616s cut at about 26.5-27" or get something like a 1916 left almost full length with more weight up front.  The 1916's seem to be easier to come by.  Any suggestions?  I greatly appreciate the help.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could use some help, arrows for the wife?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
My comments pertain to an Easton Blues or Jazz aluminum arrow fletched with three, 5" feathers, cut 1/8" past center with a B50 type of bowstring.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/30      

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/32                  

If she would shoot her longbow with a full length (no cutting) 29", 1716 arrow with a 150 grain point weight, she will have a hair stiff tunable arrow. You can add or lower the point weight depending if the arrow is hitting stiff or weak at 20 yards. Total arrow weight will be around 452 grains, 15.06 GPP (grains per pound), 14.6% FOC, close to 147 fps in speed and have 21.5 foot pounds of energy. A very nice hunting arrow for her. BTW, don't be scared of the 15.06 GPP since I shoot, depending on which of my two bows I'm shooting, 14.86 to 15.16 GPP.

However, there is another way to tune a bow. You would have to adjust the brace height a little. When I tune my bows, I also adjust brace height. Using Stu's DSC program, for my 37# bow, I was almost spot on with a 2114 arrow tipped with a 185 grain point weight. But, the arrow was "showering" stiff at 20 yards since it was shooting to the left about 4". I lowered the brace height from the recommended 7.750" to 7.687" and shot the arrow with the 185 grain point weight. It was about 2" to the left at 20 yards. It was still showing stiff, but I thought it was a false positive. I had heard through the grapevine Blacktails like a stiff arrow. Going against conventional wisdom and instead of adding more point weight, I put on a 180 grain field point without lowering the brace height anymore. Dead on at 20 yards with the 180 grain point weight and later, also with a 180 grain broadhead. Which means my Blacktails "do" prefer a stiff arrow.

I achieved the lowering of the brace height by untwisting the bowstring by one half twist (180 degrees). You can do the same thing for her bow and arrow setup with just a little bit of experimentation.

You can get the 1716 Blues or Jazz shafts at Bowhunters Superstore and don't confuse this place with the rip off Bowhunters Supercenter. The Superstore is where I have been getting my aluminum shafts for the last 30 years. For experimentation, you can buy the Blues shafts by the half dozen (6 pack) and they cost ($19.99) while a half dozen (6 pack) of the Jazz shafts are ($20.75). The link is below.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/arrow-shafts-easton-c-520_593.html?page=3&sort=2a
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Love seeing comments from or about folks who shoot light, from choice or necessity.   I am limited to low weights and a 25" draw.  66" straight longbows are my toy of choice.  8^)   My weights run from 23# to 35#.   I don't tune to absolute perfection because I generally only shoot a bow for a few weeks... till the next one is finished.   (Gotta talk to my shrink about that...)  

Anyway, I've used Easton Jazz and Blues for most shooting for years.  I keep a dozen each 1416, 1516 and 1616 handy.  I shoot them full length with nib points.  They're a delight for light shooting... pull from the target easily and smoothly and amongst the three, I can find a good arrow for whatever I pull off the shelf in my weight range.  At 30# the 1616's are consistently OK.  

If hunting enters the picture (Thank God for Texas, with no weight limit and javelinas) I do try to go up just a bit on the weight and go to 1716's as Night Wing suggests.  This is the thinnest size for which you can get screw in tips, plus, I'm lucky enough to have some of the old camo painted ones.  I tune mine to shoot with 125gr.  If going up to 35/38# isn't possible, his suggestion of going to a real heavy point should be outstanding.   I keep shots within 15 yds, no more.  Javies aren't a problem and if I get a chance at hogs I'll only take small ones with that weight.   Can't speak to deer never having had a chance at any, but I've been told often that 40# works fine where required by law and that less works fine where it's legal if you're careful and choose the shots.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Rusty,

My wife shoots 40 and 45 pound bows. Her draw length is around 24.5 inches or so. She has had good success with the Gold Tip 3555 arrows using 125 grain heads and all brass inserts cut down to 26". She fletches with 3, 4" feathers.

Remember... your bow must have a minimum draw weight of 40# (and marked as such) to deer or turkey hunt in Oklahoma.

Welcome to the fun!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
My wife shoots close to the same specs, maybe closer to 35#. She's using Easton Jazz 1716 (from Lancaster Archery), cut 27 1/2" BOP, 100gr.point, for a total arrow wt. of 400gr.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline RusD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks to all for the help.  I have gone back and forth so many times.  I knew somebody here would be able to help.  OkKeith, thanks for the reminder about the legal weight; I think she is going to have to work up to it though.  Oh well, we both need to practice a lot before she will be ready for that anyway.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Now prob Rusty!

If you live near Norman, OK there is a BYOT archery range out at Lake Thunderbird State Park, not 15 min from town.

Good luck! Holler if I can help any more.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
My kids shoot fairly similar specs and 1716s work very well for them. If you try them, start out with full length arrows and go from there.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
My wife shoots a similar set up and likes Jazz 1716's full length with 100gr. up front.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
My wife shoots a similar set up and likes Jazz 1716's full length with 100gr. up front.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
My girlfriend shoots pretty much the same set-up...around 32# and her 1716 Blue's shoot great for her
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©