3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carefull What You Snip  (Read 473 times)

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carefull What You Snip
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
:help:

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Hate those things,  speared myself on them more than I care to remember.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
There was a lot of it where I used to live in Arkansas. The deer do like those pods, lots of protein in them as well. Not only nasty thorns but they seem to kind of have a poison to them, get poked with one it always seems to get infected.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I would hate to bump into that in the dark.   :scared:    :eek:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
The thorns are nasty, but the deer sure love the beans.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
The honey locust and the black locust are two distinctly different trees. The black locust is known for its light yellow wood and rot resistance. It's commonly used for fence posts. The wood is heavy and dense; hard on chainsaws, but has a lot of btu in the woodstove. Black locust also makes decent selfbow wood, but more prone to string-follow in time.

Honey locust (by appearance) is known for its nasty thorns which can be 4" long and needle pointed. The bark is light gray and usually scaley. The wood is typically light tan to almost blonde in color, and it makes pretty good lumber. It is usually lighter in weight than black locust, and somewhat softer when fully dried.

Where I live in Ohio, black locust trees far outnumber the native honey locust...maybe 100:1.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
In Louisiana, those things are everywhere in the swamp. You never see one out in the open, but if it gets thick, all of a sudden every tree that is in your way is like that.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I carried the tip of one of those thorns in my knee for several years. It healed over but left a red spot, and it came out after I pricked it with a needle and applied peroxide.

Survival tip: Honey locust has a natural oil in the branches that will burn even when soaking wet. You can start a fire with it when nothing else will burn.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by adeeden:
I abolutley hate those honey locust thorns!
X2

I actually stepped on one of those that was on a fallen branch while I was out hunting a couple of years ago.  Clear through the sole of my boot and about 2 inches into my foot before I even realized what happened.  That hurt.  

Glad you caught your mistake before anything bad happened.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
A few years ago, I was hunting when I stepped on a hidden branch and the thorn penetrated about two inches in the sole of my foot. The thorn broke off the branch flush with the bottom of my rubber boot. So there I was, not able to pull the boot off because of the thorn stuck in the boot and my foot.  I sat down and got my knife out and proceeded to cut my boot open starting at my shin and opened it all the way to my toes. Then I could slide the boot away from the bottom of my foot. I then removed the thorn from the boot and took my knife and made shoe lace holes in the boot and used some small rope I was carrying in my pack and laced it up tight and hunted a couple more hours till darkness. It hurt like the dickens for several weeks and I still miss those boots.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
OK gotta be honest.  I was thinking of something totally different when I read the title of this thread.  

I think honey locust trees are about the coolest things in the forest.  It's like creation or evolution gone wild, depending on your persuasion   :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Wow,this thread title is the exact thing I advised my doc when our family was large enough.
That was EXACTLY my thought when I saw the title! ...nasty lookin thorns though...glad they're not around where I hunt!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Disappointing initial experience, however you planned well.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©